Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would bet good money, that even now at 60 odd years of age, if you put him in training with these players, technically he will be able to do things they can't.

His technique on those shitty pitches, in an era where you could kick the fuck out of each other was sublime.

It was Platini who said if he was French we'd build the team around him. Not a bad judge.

Last edited:

Love this quote, it’s so right.

I was 19 and Danny Blanchflower [who captained Spurs to the Double in 1960-61] said: ‘Glenn, the luxury player is the one that cannot do what you can do. He cannot see a pass. He keeps giving the ball away. Don’t ever think you’re a luxury player.’ It was a real boost of confidence from the great Danny Blanchflower.”

This though, fuck me, Joe Lewis is obviously a massive prick. Just to confirm something we already knew.

Hoddle looks well now and we are soon talking football and Spurs again – for he managed the club he loves from 2001 to 2003. He remains a fan and I ask him if he has ever met the reclusive owner of Spurs? “No. I’ve never met Joe Lewis. Never even had a phone call. Never had a conversation with him and Spurs were always my club. That was the happiest I should have been but it was probably the most disgruntled I felt – at Tottenham

As a player he was imperious...my mum went to Spurs once with my older brother when I was a nipper...she knew nothing about footy but she came back and said " there was a player there tonight and he was like a ballet dancer " and that's such a great description of him, probably the most graceful, talented and balletic footballer I've ever seen...watch the video above and his goals are just unbelievable, throw in shit pitches and players kicking lumps out of him and it makes it all the more significant. Get well soon Glenda, we were blessed to have you at Spurs...

So many tap ins......:)

EeL1w-QWkAAEIs7

Can't remember if it was The General or Stevie P who said that he used his feet like golf clubs and could ping a ball onto a sixpence anywhere on the pitch. Stevie also said that that he controlled a game by making two killer passes and we would win 2-1, in answer to criticism that he wasn't involved enough.
Probably our best player in my lifetime as a Spurs supporter. His mastery of the ball was mind boggling, his vision was unearthly and his variety of passing was incredible. He had a natural talent that can't be taught, and made it look so easy. Most of his goals were so spectacular that they will live in the memory for a very long time. Thank goodness that a number of them were caught on camera, so the youngsters can see what a special player we had on our books, and home grown, to boot.
"Hoddle, Hoddle, Hoddle, Hoddle - born is the King of White Hart Lane"
I feel so privileged to have seen him.
And he was one of ours,never cost us a penny.Yet still there are people(not Spurs fans) who think he weren't all that and was a luxury player.
I remember a heated discussion in my then local with a couple of mates back in the 80s. And one of them's view point was he shouldn't be in the England squad,let alone team as he couldn't tackle.
The country was blind to the fact what a superbly gifted talented footballing genius we had in Hoddle
Years later ,i was talking to one of the older Gooners in my pub,and he got quite angry about how Hoddle was wasted by England.
He could see it,sadly many couldn't and still can't...

To my dad, almost every midfielder who plays for us is shit because they ain't Glenn Hoddle. I grew up with this man being the benchmark for what a Spurs player is, even though his playing career was before my time.

I'm exagerrating of course, my dad didn't think Modric etc were shit. But whenever anybody asks him who the best player he has ever seen live is, the answer is always "Hoddle." Technically I saw him live, but I was only about 4 years old at the time and don't remember the game at all, but I do have a vague memory of the crowd and being amazed by all the people there. I think it might have been his last season for us.

It's funny in a way, some of these old players - when Spurs are in your blood, your dad was watching before you were even born, feels like you know the career of players you never really saw play. I've seen the highlights, but I know the greatness of Hoddle through the story told by the fans who were there before me, especially my dad. The stuff of legend, a player for whom the term absolutely applies.
That's how I feel about the players of the Double side, I devour anything about that era, be it books, limited filmed footage or interviews with the players.
Hod was one special player, and we were lucky to have him at his peak for as long as we did. It was a pleasure just to watch him warm up.

Back
Top Bottom