Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd have more faith in saving money on this transfer being any kind of a good deal if GLC played any amount of good games in a Spurs shirt.

It's only a good deal if he plays or we make a profit on him, both of which are yet to be seen.

Personally would pick Grealish over him any day of the week, but DL couldn't negotiate that transfer despite months of talking and haggling over £7m.

New owners at Villa turned down Spurs deal agreed with old owners - reason being that the new owners thought only chance of Vila getting to PL depended on Villa keeping Grealish. And getting to PL meant £100m+ to Villa...……….a multiple of 3 or so of what Grealish could be sold for.

New owners at Villa turned down Spurs deal agreed with old owners - reason being that the new owners thought only chance of Vila getting to PL depended on Villa keeping Grealish. And getting to PL meant £100m+ to Villa...……….a multiple of 3 or so of what Grealish could be sold for.

All noises pointed towards the deal being all but done before the new owners were even being spoken about and we didn't finalise it in good enough time, which has been a constant with our negotiations tbh.

Think we offered £25m after talking for a long time and knowing they wanted more than £30m, which still looks like a better deal to me tbh...especially with the hindsight of seeing Grealish back at Premier League level.

Asked about Juan Foyth, Jose went on to add Ryan Sessegnon, Giovani Lo Celso, and Kyle Walker-Peters to the list of players he is impressed with. Only Lo Celso has made a cameo under Mourinho out of those four.

He claims that opportunities may come this month, (Football London): “There are other players that I like very, very much and I try to give some stability to the team and there is no space for everyone, so we look to other boys. Ryan Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Walker-Peters, we have other players with potential to play that they didn’t have yet the opportunity to play. I would say let’s wait for the end of December for the accumulation of matches and for sure opportunities will come.”

If the rumors about Eriksen are true, then I’d say Lo Celso will stay and have a solid role. He may not play every game but he will get some significant time.

If the rumors about Eriksen are true, then I’d say Lo Celso will stay and have a solid role. He may not play every game but he will get some significant time.

As Spursidol Spursidol has mentioned, Lo Celso is worth far more than €32m and as the loan fee has already been paid it just makes sense to stump up the extra €32m, knowing we could probably sell for closer to €40m even if he flops. With Jose stating that player like Fernandes isn't on our radar at the moment, honestly I'd be hugely shocked if we don't make it happen.

Our one attacking area that has question marks over it is probably RW/WF and to my knowledge Gio plays this position for Argentina. I think he has a huge part to play as time goes on, it's just Jose trying to build momentum a team the moment by stickinwihna basic way, team and style.

All noises pointed towards the deal being all but done before the new owners were even being spoken about and we didn't finalise it in good enough time, which has been a constant with our negotiations tbh.

Think we offered £25m after talking for a long time and knowing they wanted more than £30m, which still looks like a better deal to me tbh...especially with the hindsight of seeing Grealish back at Premier League level.

What caught Spurs out was the new owners completing on the Aston Villa purchase in weeks rather than the 2 or 3 months which it usually would have done - and new owners had insisted on a 'no sale of material assets (eg players) clause if they completed quickly (which is not unusual - in fact I'd say its done in the vast majority of business purchases.

Everyone close to Villa expected Grealish to go, and were all staggered by the speed of completion which stopped the Grealish sale.

I just hope that particular ship hasn't sailed as yet, think Mourinho could be a draw and really help a player like Grealish and with their FFP status etc., you never know.

Or GLC comes good, I'm just not sure England is quite right for him from the admittedly little we've seen.

(His touch was fucking shocking in the last YouTube training challenge though!)

As Spursidol Spursidol has mentioned, Lo Celso is worth far more than €32m and as the loan fee has already been paid it just makes sense to stump up the extra €32m, knowing we could probably sell for closer to €40m even if he flops. With Jose stating that player like Fernandes isn't on our radar at the moment, honestly I'd be hugely shocked if we don't make it happen.

Our one attacking area that has question marks over it is probably RW/WF and to my knowledge Gio plays this position for Argentina. I think he has a huge part to play as time goes on, it's just Jose trying to build momentum a team the moment by stickinwihna basic way, team and style.

Only issue with Lo Celso playing RW/RAM is that he's probably average paced versus fast like Son. And in PL the top AM's tend to be fast. He certainly seems to be a versatile midfielder in playing most roles, and that might have been a factor that attracted him to Poch.

BTW this was put together when Spurs bought him - any thoughts on this ?

While I don't doubt that he has talent, being able to convert that talent into performances in the Premier League is a lot different than in both Spain and France. For every Aguero, there's a Veron (and he was a far better footballer than Gio is at present).

I do think we're less likely to get performances out of him without an Argentinian arm around his shoulder, although in saying that Poch played him fuck all until Eriksen came out as not wanting to renew his contract etc.

I want us to sign him though regardless, as we'll have to if we make the CL again, which is Top 4 or winning the thing...both of which I'd take!

I just hope that particular ship hasn't sailed as yet, think Mourinho could be a draw and really help a player like Grealish and with their FFP status etc., you never know.

Or GLC comes good, I'm just not sure England is quite right for him from the admittedly little we've seen.

(His touch was fucking shocking in the last YouTube training challenge though!)
Grealish would cost £60m to pry from Villa if they stay up, probably £40m if they go down.

Apparently that's what a pretty goal at Old Trafford does to your projected value.

He also basically has no defensive output.

One of the reasons why the new signings might not be playing is that Mourinho obviously trusts the more established players with winning us games in the beginning. It might be that he considers that giving more game time to either Lo Celso or Sessegnon would be a risk at the moment both for them and the team. He has spoken highly of them and there's no reason to believe they're not part of his plans. He probably doesn't want to throw them into the fire just yet.

If he can't get in the side over the useless dross otherwise known as our other midfielders then our scouting team have really outdone themselves this time

Really feel for him, looked good every time he’s been on the pitch and he’s being kept out, by probably the most inconsistent player I’ve ever seen, in Lucas and a useless cunt who doesn’t want to be here in eriksen

Really feel for him, looked good every time he’s been on the pitch and he’s being kept out, by probably the most inconsistent player I’ve ever seen, in Lucas and a useless cunt who doesn’t want to be here in eriksen
If two world class managers aren't playing him. perhaps he is not just a victim and just not ready, training well enough or good enough?

Back
Top Bottom