Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I rather keep Lo Cleso than Lamela - the former is clearly finished with us in terms of consistent fitness

I think Lamela is only with us as (1) he s injured a lot and not always been fit at a good TW. (2). Lots of other positions needing to buy for so easier to let him stay.

But over the next year or 18 months I am sure he will be gone.

I think Lamela is only with us as (1) he s injured a lot and not always been fit at a good TW. (2). Lots of other positions needing to buy for so easier to let him stay.

But over the next year or 18 months I am sure he will be gone.
If JM can get Lamela to run forwards and not sideways maybe we have a world beater to pick.

Reminds me of the Jerry Sadowitz joke.

Apparently (I have no idea if this folk lore), he opened a comedy gig in Montreal with ‘Hello Moosefuckers. You know why I hate Canadians? Half of you speak French and the other half let them.’

He was supposedly chased off stage that evening.
Who goes to a Sadowitz gig and gets offended? Stupid Moosefuckers!!

Next summer there will be a number of players we need to buy - possibly including LB, RB, CB ( possibly two), DM, back up striker and GK.

The biggest constraints on buying atm is not money ( although that always helps) it's both identifying the "right' players and also clearing out the current squad ( perhaps Wanyama as he has hardly played for 2 years).

There's plenty to deal with without adding Lo Celso to the list.

If Mourhino decides Lo Celso is a decent player for Spurs, he will stay.

A bigger question is where is he capable of playing ?

Atm Dele has been resurected as no 10/2nd striker and with Son in good form that leaves one first team place at AM shared between Moura, the ever injured Lamela, possibly Sessegnon, possibly Sissoko, Eriksen if he stays....and Lo Celso.

We probably need 5 or 6 options going forward so plenty of room for him to secure a place - if he shows the right attributes.

At CM we have Ndombele, Winks, Dier , Skipp and possibly Sissoko - but probably none of those places nailed down.

It's 3 matches into Mountinho" s reign so not surprised that most players have not been nailed down into their places - and we actually have a big squad. With some 25 players.

Think things will be clearer in January.
That's not going to happen unless they are very cheap. Poch bought Sess with a view to him becoming a left back. Mourinho has said he doesn't see him as such. Aurier seems to be getting better and is our number 1 right back, I could see Jose working with KWP to be the back up. He will continue to show faith in Dier. I don't know what he will do for back up striker, he might use Troy, he already said that he won't buy Zlatan.

That's not going to happen unless they are very cheap. Poch bought Sess with a view to him becoming a left back. Mourinho has said he doesn't see him as such. Aurier seems to be getting better and is our number 1 right back, I could see Jose working with KWP to be the back up. He will continue to show faith in Dier. I don't know what he will do for back up striker, he might use Troy, he already said that he won't buy Zlatan.

I can't see all those positions being filled next summer - my point was that we have lots to do next summer, won't do everything and hence unless Lo Celso is thought to be a poor acquisition he is more likely to stay than go.

Agree with most of what you say, but think next summer we will still spend £100m again to continue a squad rebuild. But it's not clear yet which positions Mourhino thinks he needs to fill - my guess is that if a couple of suitable players are available in January we will get them with more to follow in the summer.

I don't think we will go for cheap - but if Robertson were still at Hull available at £6m we would take him and one or two other great prospects plus maybe bring one or two through from the academy. But where we want instant first team players, we will pay good money, just as we did for Ndombele.

I can't see all those positions being filled next summer - my point was that we have lots to do next summer, won't do everything and hence unless Lo Celso is thought to be a poor acquisition he is more likely to stay than go.

Agree with most of what you say, but think next summer we will still spend £100m again to continue a squad rebuild. But it's not clear yet which positions Mourhino thinks he needs to fill - my guess is that if a couple of suitable players are available in January we will get them with more to follow in the summer.

I don't think we will go for cheap - but if Robertson were still at Hull available at £6m we would take him and one or two other great prospects plus maybe bring one or two through from the academy. But where we want instant first team players, we will pay good money, just as we did for Ndombele.
Did you miss out the words 'need to'? I could only see us spending that money if we make some sales first and as we will have several out of contract players by then, I can't see that being possible.

Hold my hands up, I was wrong about the option.

It is CL not EL apparently.

:mourbye:

Interesting. So we have the option in January to get Gio for €32m compared to full whack €40m in the summer. Not being funny but the loan fee is done now and we aren't going to get many better for €32m. If Jose isn't keen surely we will know by Jan, otherwise it's just a wasted €8m come the summer.

Big month for Lo Celso. I think if we start seeing him muscle into a starting XI or two that it'll become obvious if we run with it or not. Fingers crossed he does a solid I think he'd be an excellent option either in the middle or on that right hand side.

Loan money is gone, so basically its £27.5m to buy Lo Celso in January. I can't fathom the club not doing that with Eriksen going out the door and Lamela with one leg.

Was it not only a loan because we fucked about so long after the player clearly wanted to go to us, that we could only finalise it after the window closed as a loan?

Yeah...brilliant negotiations, all hail Daniel.
It was a loan because Betis have to pay PSG 20% of the sell on total. By doing year 1 as a loan, it decreases the amount Betis has to pay PSG.

Option 1 = $60 million fee upfront to Betis, Betis pay PSG $12 million
Option 2 = $20 million loan fee to Betis and then $40 million fee to Betis, Betis pay PSG $8 million

I may not have the numbers exactly right, but that's the idea.

Was it not only a loan because we fucked about so long after the player clearly wanted to go to us, that we could only finalise it after the window closed as a loan?

Yeah...brilliant negotiations, all hail Daniel.
Nope, it was good negotiating because it lowered the amount we'd need to pay to Betis. There's a large sell-on fee due to PSG, but by paying them a loan fee they get to keep more of the money we give them, thus lowering the amount we need to give to them for them to gain the profit they desired.

Minimum 12 potential 13 games from now until until 22 Jan potential 25 Jan.
If we don't buy him in January and save £8m then Levy will probably tell Jose to finish 5th! ;)

Loan money is gone, so basically its £27.5m to buy Lo Celso in January. I can't fathom the club not doing that with Eriksen going out the door and Lamela with one leg.

It's only a good deal if Mourinho sees a role for Gio. If not then that's a lot of money to waste which can be better used to strengthen positions Jose feels need attention

I'd have more faith in saving money on this transfer being any kind of a good deal if GLC played any amount of good games in a Spurs shirt.

It's only a good deal if he plays or we make a profit on him, both of which are yet to be seen.

Personally would pick Grealish over him any day of the week, but DL couldn't negotiate that transfer despite months of talking and haggling over £7m.

It's only a good deal if Mourinho sees a role for Gio. If not then that's a lot of money to waste which can be better used to strengthen positions Jose feels need attention
There's a pretty big gap in the squad with Eriksen leaving. What happens if Dele is out with a hamstring? Lamela is always injured even though I think he's useful. We need reinforcements there regardless of what other positions we need to strengthen, and £27.5m for a 23 y.o. of his caliber that can play the 8, 10 and on the wing is basically non-existent in today's market.

Interesting. So we have the option in January to get Gio for €32m compared to full whack €40m in the summer. Not being funny but the loan fee is done now and we aren't going to get many better for €32m. If Jose isn't keen surely we will know by Jan, otherwise it's just a wasted €8m come the summer.

Big month for Lo Celso. I think if we start seeing him muscle into a starting XI or two that it'll become obvious if we run with it or not. Fingers crossed he does a solid I think he'd be an excellent option either in the middle or on that right hand side.

At that price I can see us buying in January to save €8m on buying in the summer.

If Mourhino doesn't like him and wants to sell him we are surely going to make a profit on him at a buy price of €32m - the loan fee has already been paid and is gone, so that doesnt enter the decision process.

With Eriksen seemingly saying that he is definitely off, he's surely a sensible option to keep as an AM - at worst rotating for Dele at no 10 or another AM or another alternative AM. Possibilities as CM too

If we don't exercise the option in January I'd be inclined to think Mourhino just doesn't rate him and doesn't think he will improve and just doesn't want the hassle of trying to sell him so will let him go back to Betis at the end of the loan and just rite off the .€14m loan fee as just a screw up.

So as you say, we'll surely get advance notice on which way things are going by his appearances during December and early January.

Back
Top Bottom