Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I also believe that success in Europe's second trophy would work wonders for attracting top talent in the summer. UEFA cup success for a young squad would suggest even bigger success in the immediate future.

I would so love us to win a fucking cup, i honestly think if we take the EL or FA seriously we can win it, and it would be priceless experience for the Squad and Poch, Its all about getting that winning mentality, plus what a way to end our last season at the Lane!

Let's get it straight the Europa League is a European trophy that has Champions League qualification as a prize. FA Cup greatest domestic Cup back in the day consigns us to playing Europa League football. I know which I currently rather win. Nice final in European city or Wembley which is currently our second home.

Its a crazy argument....why would anyone not want to win a trophy?!
People acting like we are 1 point behind Chelsea with 3 games left.

I'm pretty sure there is some far-reaching out-post Utd teams who are in the CL too...
being a CL drop out doesn't suddenly make you a glamorous club who are above the EL...

There have been plenty of European Heavyweights 'prepared to slum it' in the EL down the years... Ajax/PSV/Milan/Roma/Sevilla spring to mind quite recently....

I genuinely don't get where this 'European entitlement' comes from... we're a solid, European side... UEFA Cup 'heavyweights' f you like... but not an Elite Champions League club... by virtue of the fact we've only competed in the (modern version) competition twice, and a mere 3 or 4 times in our entire HISTORY!

We can't be thumbing our noses at a competition like the UEFA Cup/Europa League just yet, until we've cemented our regular seat at the TOP TABLE OF EUROPEAN COMPETITION... which we've yet to do!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the old European trophies. UEFA Cup, cup-winners-cup, brilliant. The current format of the EL is just so incredibly sh!t though. I can't get excited about it. Most of our matches in the EL in recentnyears have been boring as hell. The fact that it needs CL drop-outs says it all really. And your reward for winning it is that you don't have to participate in the competition next year, lol. It's not a proper cup on its own, it's basically the drainage of the CL. All the losers who get kicked out prematurely get another chance in the EL.

Let's just fuckign get this won, eh?

Yup a cup is a cup, bout time we started filling up the trophy cabinet! Genuine question though if we win the EL and get top 4, does 5th placed get the CL spot?
As imagine the year we might finish above Woolich, they only manage 5th, but then we go and win the EL and they get the last CL spot.... that would be soooooo fucking spursy! :pochfacepalm:

Don't get me wrong, I loved the old European trophies. UEFA Cup, cup-winners-cup, brilliant. The current format of the EL is just so incredibly sh!t though. I can't get excited about it. Most of our matches in the EL in recentnyears have been boring as hell. The fact that it needs CL drop-outs says it all really. And your reward for winning it is that you don't have to participate in the competition next year, lol. It's not a proper cup on its own, it's basically the drainage of the CL. All the losers who get kicked out prematurely get another chance in the EL.

Blame UEFA for that. As it is it's an opportunity for us to win a cup, cement our European credentials. Players will more than likely sign for Europa League winners rather than FA Cup holders.

Let's get it straight the Europa League is a European trophy that has Champions League qualification as a prize. FA Cup greatest domestic Cup back in the day consigns us to playing Europa League football.

That is actually a very recent development, they had to do it because teams didn't take it serious otherwise. Imagine how teams would rate the FA cup once the winner gets entry in the CL. Back in the days it was better arranged than it is now, winning the FA cup gave you entry in the Europacup2; a proper trophy.

I know which I currently rather win. Nice final in European city or Wembley which is currently our second home.
Yeah the amazing city of Solna... I think I would prefer London.

Isnt the CL Final in Cardiff this year?

Euueeeew who'd want to win that....in that weird City.
It used to be the European Cup too before it was molested into the CL....

Do not want

:goonermong:

Anyone not bothered about winning either trophy would 100% change their mind if we did!
You wouldn't be able to switch off your emotions.
& not be nervous during the match & then ecstatic when we win.

Isnt the CL Final in Cardiff this year?

Euueeeew who'd want to win that....in that weird City.
It used to be the European Cup too before it was molested into the CL....

Do not want

How is Cardiff weird? I've been there quite a bit and always found it quite a nice, compact city. The massive downside, of course, is that it's full of Welsh people.

Some people on the forum always seem to want a cup and champions league qualification, then say they don't want the Europa

meatloaf.gif

Let's get it straight the Europa League is a European trophy that has Champions League qualification as a prize. FA Cup greatest domestic Cup back in the day consigns us to playing Europa League football. I know which I currently rather win. Nice final in European city or Wembley which is currently our second home.

Both

why would you prioritise the league? We have nothing to play for in it

What are you talking about? Where we finish in the league is still hugely important even if we don't win it outright. I think we can definitely finish top 4 if we focus on it as our primary competition, but, the competition is fierce, and if we make it second priority, there is a huge chance that we will fuck it up. We do not have a squad good enough to compete in multiple competitions right now (you can thank Lamela and the injury bug!). CL qualification is absolutely paramount to us progressing and growing as a club.

I suggest that it would be almost as good as a trophy if we were to finish above Woolwich (and make Top 4) for the first time since I've been a spurs fan. 2016- the year- was pretty shitty in general, so I could really use a year without a "St Totteringham's Day" for a change.

Last thought: if Janssen can't cut it against Gent over 2 legs, he ain't gonna cut it for us in the prem, and I'd rather find out now before we head into the summer. Kane looks tired AF right now- I'm voting to wrap our prized asset in cotton-wool and keep him fresh for the remainder of the prem games.

You're all lovely, daring, idealists for thinking we can do both/all of this without significant consequence, but I assure you, the squad is too banged up right now for us to do so without grave peril these next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Its a crazy argument....why would anyone not want to win a trophy?!
People acting like we are 1 point behind Chelsea with 3 games left.
I hope Im not patronising here, just trying to clarify the heartfelt emotion to win a bloody trophy ...
The sentiment towards winning a trophy is to show strength in the cup completion and relegate PL to a lower priority as in trying to win it. Of corse get the obligatory top 4, which is possible on the back of prioritising the cup competitions. Rotation of squad and when to rest is key? I feel we can put all our efforts onto the cups and still give the PL a go. we mustn't forget we are a decent side and has a decent-ish squad.

I don't want to be a party pooper - we need to sort out our away form.

Thankfully, during the rounds, the way we are playing , draw away and win at home would be good cup form. The first true, one off away game would be a final?

I hope Im not patronising here, just trying to clarify the heartfelt emotion to win a bloody trophy ...
The sentiment towards winning a trophy is to show strength in the cup completion and relegate PL to a lower priority as in trying to win it. Of corse get the obligatory top 4, which is possible on the back of prioritising the cup competitions. Rotation of squad and when to rest is key? I feel we can put all our efforts onto the cups and still give the PL a go. we mustn't forget we are a decent side and has a decent-ish squad.
Going strong on Thursday doesn't mean we can't go strong against Stoke 9 days later.

We can rotate for Fulham, and the second leg could be a walk in the park if for ONCE we just take advantage of a situation that favors us and take a later stage cup game seriously.

I see the value in top 4, and want to finish 2nd but not at the expense of a trophy. I'd be happy to come 4th, behind Woolwich again, as EL champions.

Is the argument in some quarters we must prioritise the title, or second?

That would seem to say we can't even finish 4th if we take the cups seriously. What kind of squad is this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom