Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Same could be said for the FA Cup draw, we're by no means the favourites to win it. Still some big sides in there.

True, but get a home draw and take it serious and we can beat any of the teams left if the FA cup, plus if we get as far as playing at Wembley we should have the edge as would have played there loads already this season!

Is it fair to say that if Jannsen fails to make his mark in a game that would seem to be absolutely custom-designed with him in mind (or, for that matter, if he doesn't feature in it or just gets a few minutes) we can more or less mentally cross him off the list?

Is it fair to say that if Jannsen fails to make his mark in a game that would seem to be absolutely custom-designed with him in mind (or, for that matter, if he doesn't feature in it or just gets a few minutes) we can more or less mentally cross him off the list?

Problem is when starting Janssen in a match, we're not playing to his strengths in that the players around him are usually not the same surrounding Harry Kane. Janssen needs to have Eriksen or Dele playing as well, not Sissoko and Son.

Problem is when starting Janssen in a match, we're not playing to his strengths in that the players around him are usually not the same surrounding Harry Kane. Janssen needs to have Eriksen or Dele playing as well, not Sissoko and Son.
Janssen had his opportunities to play with Eriksen & Dele when Kane was out injured for 2 months.. He didn't take his opportunities in the 3-4 games he started so Poch played Son up top instead.

Janssen had his opportunities to play with Eriksen & Dele when Kane was out injured for 2 months.. He didn't take his opportunities in the 3-4 games he started so Poch played Son up top instead.

He's had more time to adapt since those early days. He needs proper game time, not 10-15 min appearances here and there. These upcoming cup matches are a good time to give him that.

Still think we will beat Fulham and have the chance to rest a few players, plus if we get a result in Gent on Thursday we will be able to afford to rest the majorty of players for the home leg, no reason we can't win the FA cup, all about seeing who we would get in the next round, but agree that Europe should take priority, but all depends on the draw.........
I also believe that success in Europe's second trophy would work wonders for attracting top talent in the summer. UEFA cup success for a young squad would suggest even bigger success in the immediate future.

Reading all the posts-I agree with wanting to win a trophy, it would be nice.
We need to take each game as it comes. Gent on Thurs-lets see what happens-we must get a result and play well because a poor game would follow onto Fulham and would make that game even tougher.

I fancy us to win over 2 legs even if we lose by a goal in the 1st leg.
But we should be able to get at least a draw over there.
Be interesting to see if poch plays a stronger team against them or fulham?

Sanchez Lukaku Ibrahimovic Costa Defoe Kane
Games played 25 24 24 23 25 20
Minutes played 2146 2097 2160 2037 2242 1719

Because of Kane's injury he has played less than the other Golden Boot contenders and is a lot younger than Ibrahimovic and Defoe and should be capable of playing in 2 out of 3 of the forthcoming cup games.

The point is that clubs like Atletico take it extremely seriously but its beneath Spurs to you......LOL how ridiculous
Atletico back in the days and Sevilla nowawadays are dealing with Barca and Real domestically who for a long time refused to divide tv money in a fair way. They had to look to Europe because domestically it was pretty much impossible to win stuff with Barca and Real dividing everything. In England it's much more of a level playing field.

Yeah the glory of going to extra time against Palace or beating Villa 4-0 in the FA Cup final far outweighs a European trophy.

Like the EL is such a wonderful trophy. Just a few years ago we were in a group with a team who relegated from the mighty Norwegian league! We've played against some absolute rubbish throughout the years. It needs CL drop-outs to actually be a competition with decent teams in it, that's just pathetic.

Jesus, I get that you think the CL and PL (and weirdly the FA Cup considering your stance on the EL) are the only trophies worth winning, its just so odd to denounce something so strongly, like Spurs have the fucking pick of the bunch

League Cup is fine as well. It's just the EL really, awful set-up, awful competition.

Atletico back in the days and Sevilla nowawadays are dealing with Barca and Real domestically who for a long time refused to divide tv money in a fair way. They had to look to Europe because domestically it was pretty much impossible to win stuff with Barca and Real dividing everything. In England it's much more of a level playing field.

So you mean last year Seville were a little club, and Atletico were minnows in 2012, and if they were in the EL now, they wouldnt give a shit because they have money now.....strange theory that

Like the EL is such a wonderful trophy. Just a few years ago we were in a group with a team who relegated from the mighty Norwegian league! We've played against some absolute rubbish throughout the years. It needs CL drop-outs to actually be a competition with decent teams in it, that's just pathetic.

Funny you keep going on about the teams dropping out but ignore the fact you can qualify for the CL by winning it.
Shock horror, small teams are in it.....oh wait, look at the FA Cup that you rate highly. Didnt we just nearly get turfed out by a 4th division team. There are still non league teams in it....how shit the FA Cup must be. Why would Woolwich want to win that when they are playing milkmen and bus drivers in the next round..
:avbfacepalm:

League Cup is fine as well. It's just the EL really, awful set-up, awful competition.

Ahhh, again, shit English clubs are fine, just not Norwegian ones.

If we win the EL, have a great night watching Eastenders, I know what I'll be doing

I'm pretty sure there is some far-reaching out-post Utd teams who are in the CL too...
being a CL drop out doesn't suddenly make you a glamorous club who are above the EL...

There have been plenty of European Heavyweights 'prepared to slum it' in the EL down the years... Ajax/PSV/Milan/Roma/Sevilla spring to mind quite recently....

I genuinely don't get where this 'European entitlement' comes from... we're a solid, European side... UEFA Cup 'heavyweights' f you like... but not an Elite Champions League club... by virtue of the fact we've only competed in the (modern version) competition twice, and a mere 3 or 4 times in our entire HISTORY!

We can't be thumbing our noses at a competition like the UEFA Cup/Europa League just yet, until we've cemented our regular seat at the TOP TABLE OF EUROPEAN COMPETITION... which we've yet to do!

So you mean last year Seville were a little club, and Atletico were minnows in 2012, and if they were in the EL now, they wouldnt give a shit because they have money now.....strange theory that

Funny you keep going on about the teams dropping out but ignore the fact you can qualify for the CL by winning it.
Shock horror, small teams are in it.....oh wait, look at the FA Cup that you rate highly. Didnt we just nearly get turfed out by a 4th division team. There are still non league teams in it....how shit the FA Cup must be. Why would Woolwich want to win that when they are playing milkmen and bus drivers in the next round..
:avbfacepalm:

Ahhh, again, shit English clubs are fine, just not Norwegian ones.

If we win the EL, have a great night watching Eastenders, I know what I'll be doing

Let's get it straight the Europa League is a European trophy that has Champions League qualification as a prize. FA Cup greatest domestic Cup back in the day consigns us to playing Europa League football. I know which I currently rather win. Nice final in European city or Wembley which is currently our second home.

Back
Top Bottom