Gary 'the ears' Lineker is a prick - discuss

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gary Lineker a massive fartfaced prick

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Super Yes

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Bigger yes than his ears

Votes: 55 47.8%
  • No, I love the gooners

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters
As I understand it the main point about the Modern Slavery Act is about the referrals process. The reason they call it a "loophole" is the huge increase in referrals from civil society organisations claiming that illegal arrivals are victims of modern slavery when in fact they are economic migrants.

The Home Office makes a decision on whether a person is a real victim of modern slavery or not, if they decide they are then the person gets full protection during a period of recovery. However, once the person is freed from whatever unfair enslaving agreement they were subject to and also recovered from any injuries they are evaluated against immigration law criteria.

The great majority of the increase in referrals under the Act are people from Albania, Albanian nationals were about a third of all referrals last year. That's why they made the agreement with the Albanian government on take backs. Once an Albanian citizen is free from slavery and healthy it is very unlikely they will get permission to stay in the UK.

You can like this system or not like it, but it has nothing to do with Germany in the 1930s. The fact the UK has a Modern Slavery Act that is enforced is a bit of a clue that there might be a difference.

Ok .. but we're talking language & rhetoric. And boasting online that people 'won't benefit from illegal slavery protections' falls under the kind of langauge being referred to.

Maybe it doesn't .. for you. But it does for me, and others. And seemingly for people who had to go through the worst atrocities in human history.

In a police state like Germany in the 1930s the LANGUAGE was completely controlled by the Nazis. So this is semantic nonsense. Lineker knew exactly what he was doing.
So nobody is allowed to compare a particular type of language to that used by the Nazis, unless it is also a 'police state' that's using that language? WTF?

You think you've made a clever point, mainly by using the word 'semantic', but in fact the only 'semantic nonsense' is the post I'm quoting (yours).

"Gammon bingo"

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

So nobody is allowed to compare a particular type of language to that used by the Nazis, unless it is also a 'police state' that's using that language? WTF?

You think you've made a clever point, mainly by using the word 'semantic', but in fact the only 'semantic nonsense' is the post I'm quoting (yours).

Why not just accept the blindingly obvious? Lineker uses his social media to attract attention to things he thinks are wrong, in this case government immigration policy. He is very open about it -- refusing to promise not to speak out on issues on his mind for example.

Or do you think he is trying to say there is nothing wrong with the policy, just the words used to introduce it? In that case I would disagree with him, it's a crappy policy because it is unenforceable. The only way to deal with it effectively is together with the EU, but the government can't say that because then they are admitting that leaving the Dublin Regulation was a stupid act of self harm.

By the way, nobody has yet pointed to a government statement using language reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s. We have had cartoons from the daily mail, tweets by back benchers, the usual generic "everbody knows that" argument ... Just point me to a government statement using the language and I will accept the point. I certainly don't monitor government statements, maybe I have just missed it.

Why not just accept the blindingly obvious? Lineker uses his social media to attract attention to things he thinks are wrong, in this case government immigration policy. He is very open about it -- refusing to promise not to speak out on issues on his mind for example.

Or do you think he is trying to say there is nothing wrong with the policy, just the words used to introduce it? In that case I would disagree with him, it's a crappy policy because it is unenforceable. The only way to deal with it effectively is together with the EU, but the government can't say that because then they are admitting that leaving the Dublin Regulation was a stupid act of self harm.

By the way, nobody has yet pointed to a government statement using language reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s. We have had cartoons from the daily mail, tweets by back benchers, the usual generic "everbody knows that" argument ... Just point me to a government statement using the language and I will accept the point. I certainly don't monitor government statements, maybe I have just missed it.

If you think the slimy odious toad had an ego before , forget it now. He will be preaching his politics every time he can now.
Good thing about all of this, is more licence’s will be cancelled, and it’s another nail in the coffin . Won’t be long before it’s a ppv service
That day I will cracking open a bottle of Moet.
Tired of having vacuous left wing talking points rammed down my throat in a smug condescending manner by people who are so out of touch with reality, by a supposed and apparently mandated politically neutral organisation.
Let's see how they do on subscription and just how much their opinions are worth then to the silent pissed off majority

I realise that I’m instantly hypocritical in posting here, as my main feeling around this whole episode is that it’s incredibly tedious and almost everyone has come out of it looking bad.

It’s also been another episode where, publicly and in the media, commentators and celebs are flocking to one pure and idealistic side or the other whereas the reality of the situation is not quite so simple.

From chatting with folk at work, most people seem to feel…

1. Gary Lineker is a bore and long overdue retirement from our TV screens.

2. Everyone should be allowed to have and air personal views via their personal channels: growing participation in debate around politics and society is healthy. It’s not North Korea.

3. Lineker was nevertheless being clumsy, stupid or deliberately provocative in using the specific 1930s reference. Personally, I think it’s a bit of all three.

4. The BBC and some right leaning media, politicians and commentators have managed to make Lineker look like a martyr - without him actually coming to any harm.

5. The celeb massive and some left leaning media, politicians and commentators have shown themselves to be tragically simplistic in jumping to defend the integrity of a man of very questionable character whilst also trying to justify the 1930s reference.

6. Most - but clearly not all - want a decent country that supports controlled immigration including genuine asylum seekers. We have of course always been a diverse, immigrant nation.

7. Most folk don’t want a completely uncontrolled immigration system that favours e.g. young male economic migrants, supports the human trafficker gangs, and stretches already scarce public resources - police, immigration, health, security, education - well beyond breaking point.

Wanting to see Lineker bugger off our screens and also some degree of control on our immigration system does not make you a fascist. Wanting to be a decent and responsible country that plays its part in the greater good of those in genuine need does not make you some kind of commie bastard.

But the media and politicians keep trying to put everyone into simplistic one-dimensional boxes and to argue and belittle and blame each other whilst they sit back and play their power games.

As the song goes, “fuck ‘em all!”

I realise that I’m instantly hypocritical in posting here, as my main feeling around this whole episode is that it’s incredibly tedious and almost everyone has come out of it looking bad.

It’s also been another episode where, publicly and in the media, commentators and celebs are flocking to one pure and idealistic side or the other whereas the reality of the situation is not quite so simple.

From chatting with folk at work, most people seem to feel…

1. Gary Lineker is a bore and long overdue retirement from our TV screens.

2. Everyone should be allowed to have and air personal views via their personal channels: growing participation in debate around politics and society is healthy. It’s not North Korea.

3. Lineker was nevertheless being clumsy, stupid or deliberately provocative in using the specific 1930s reference. Personally, I think it’s a bit of all three.

4. The BBC and some right leaning media, politicians and commentators have managed to make Lineker look like a martyr - without him actually coming to any harm.

5. The celeb massive and some left leaning media, politicians and commentators have shown themselves to be tragically simplistic in jumping to defend the integrity of a man of very questionable character whilst also trying to justify the 1930s reference.

6. Most - but clearly not all - want a decent country that supports controlled immigration including genuine asylum seekers. We have of course always been a diverse, immigrant nation.

7. Most folk don’t want a completely uncontrolled immigration system that favours e.g. young male economic migrants, supports the human trafficker gangs, and stretches already scarce public resources - police, immigration, health, security, education - well beyond breaking point.

Wanting to see Lineker bugger off our screens and also some degree of control on our immigration system does not make you a fascist. Wanting to be a decent and responsible country that plays its part in the greater good of those in genuine need does not make you some kind of commie bastard.

But the media and politicians keep trying to put everyone into simplistic one-dimensional boxes and to argue and belittle and blame each other whilst they sit back and play their power games.

As the song goes, “fuck ‘em all!”

Nail. Head.

Now ask your average lefty to define a bordered system, or god forbid, actually give you a figure.

Being called racist is like social death to them so you'll never hear them address that. They just deflect by inventing people who actively want zero immigration (less than 1 percent of the population to be charitable).

Last edited:
I can see your point (as a Tory, you're understandably touchy about being compared to Nazis - anybody would be), but Lineker was very clear that he was comparing the LANGUAGE of 1930's Germany to the LANGUAGE being used by some Tory politicians currently. Can you not see the linguistic similarities? The Tories have been trying to villify migrants for years - you know that.

Show me a tweet from Lineker where he claims that migrants are being rounded up and murdered by the Government and I would agree with you.
Yeah - the blue collar working classes all - to a man welcome migrants into the country - and who do they vote for?

Tories vilifying migrants? Have you seen the tory cabinet?

Your last sentence is mindless and feeble.

Back
Top Bottom