Gary 'the ears' Lineker is a prick - discuss

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gary Lineker a massive fartfaced prick

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Super Yes

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Bigger yes than his ears

Votes: 55 47.8%
  • No, I love the gooners

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters
I've met him and it was all good, he does a lot of work for charities which never gets reported and not many people know about. Genuinely a nice guy . Each to their own I guess
Hitler was a good painter and apparently quite a nice guy to his mates.

I didn't even like him when he played for us! You'd think that someone who scored a brace against the goons in an FA Cup semi final would have our undying devotion, but he's a self-centered bellend of the highest degree, IMO.
Think he's God's gift, and he isn't!
Idiot Jerk GIF

I almost hate Lineker more than Sol Campbell.

Loathsome individual.
He has become more and more insufferable in recent years.

At some point he seemed to deem himself worthy of commenting on political and social matters more than football as if anybody cares to listen to him on those subjects.

It's almost enitrely virtue signalling nonsense as well.

I realise that I’m instantly hypocritical in posting here, as my main feeling around this whole episode is that it’s incredibly tedious and almost everyone has come out of it looking bad.

It’s also been another episode where, publicly and in the media, commentators and celebs are flocking to one pure and idealistic side or the other whereas the reality of the situation is not quite so simple.

From chatting with folk at work, most people seem to feel…

1. Gary Lineker is a bore and long overdue retirement from our TV screens.

2. Everyone should be allowed to have and air personal views via their personal channels: growing participation in debate around politics and society is healthy. It’s not North Korea.

3. Lineker was nevertheless being clumsy, stupid or deliberately provocative in using the specific 1930s reference. Personally, I think it’s a bit of all three.

4. The BBC and some right leaning media, politicians and commentators have managed to make Lineker look like a martyr - without him actually coming to any harm.

5. The celeb massive and some left leaning media, politicians and commentators have shown themselves to be tragically simplistic in jumping to defend the integrity of a man of very questionable character whilst also trying to justify the 1930s reference.

6. Most - but clearly not all - want a decent country that supports controlled immigration including genuine asylum seekers. We have of course always been a diverse, immigrant nation.

7. Most folk don’t want a completely uncontrolled immigration system that favours e.g. young male economic migrants, supports the human trafficker gangs, and stretches already scarce public resources - police, immigration, health, security, education - well beyond breaking point.

Wanting to see Lineker bugger off our screens and also some degree of control on our immigration system does not make you a fascist. Wanting to be a decent and responsible country that plays its part in the greater good of those in genuine need does not make you some kind of commie bastard.

But the media and politicians keep trying to put everyone into simplistic one-dimensional boxes and to argue and belittle and blame each other whilst they sit back and play their power games.

As the song goes, “fuck ‘em all!”

The hypocrisy from right wing, free speech, anti cancel culture people is staggering. They should be up in arms but they’re either silent or busy saying how much they hate Linekar. Whether you like him o not is irrelevant to whether his private speech should be attacked like this.

Back
Top Bottom