For all of you, Poch needs time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you compare resources and see what his achieved rather than having this debate we should be thinking of ways to show support.

Three top three finishes in a row , a champions league final whilst spending far far less than anyone his competing with and even those his daily beating, above Woolwich every year too , 4 different home grounds in that time .

Let's just compare him to all his predecessors and then compare him to his modern day compatriots. There is no comparison. Klopp has over taken him sure but klopp has been fully backed. He got exactly what he wanted and now they're reaping the rewards.

Poch has called for a rebuild, it's been clear the team has been a bit stale and that's getting worse but again he can't control the fact that were unable to shift players, that's been a theme of Levy's tenure , he also has only just got three new players , all of which have been injured. His last signing before that scored a hat trick to get us into the champions league final. And don't come back to me with bollocks about him dropping him for Harry fucking kane. If Poch hadn't played kane everyone led by Durham on talksport would have been ranting about it until their last breath. You play your best players.

I find it amazing that anyone would want him gone, utterly amazing. Sure he makes the odd mistake but here we have a coach who has totally transformed out fortunes,. A man who if he leaves would have the choice of every big club in the world with good reason.

So again I'll ask who do you replace him with when you get your ridiculous wish? Mourhnio? If you think his fucking about with the budget levy sets then you're even more deluded than I already think you are , and that takes some doing. Eddie Howe? Hahahaha, Farke at Norwich? You better bring the excellent director of football and also risk it all on a man who has never managed bug players , is totally untested and won none of the big trophi w you're demanding, Conte ain't coming , naglesmann isn't either, honestly I'm trying to think go people who have outperformed Poch enough for you to wish this upon us and there is nobody except pep but well you know...

What an utterly ridiculous thread.

I agree with most of it. And I've never said anywhere that Poch wouldn't have done a splendid job for us. He has raised us to new heights and he has developed some players significantly. I am happy that he was chosen to be our manager back then.

But you say "I find it amazing that anyone would want him gone, utterly amazing. Sure he makes the odd mistake but here we have a coach who has totally transformed out fortunes" -
We have won 30% of our last 25 games. Is that a "odd mistake" or is it an absolute catastrophe for club with our ambition?

Also during this whole time we have won absolutely nothing. Whenever we get near something, you can see that we are not ready to win it. Teams who are inferior to us when we play them in the league often just stamp us into the ground, it might be Chelsea, it might be ManU- doesn't matter. When big matches come, we fold like a house of cards. Players like Kane are getting frustrated, and quite honestly I can understand him. I don't think we would win a trophy even if Poch would be here 6 more years. He cannot make players believe it, he cannot prepare them mentally and he can't pick the right options/tactics - he just uses his "old regular" setup and hopes for the best.

You rightfully point out "in top 3 for 3 years" in your post, but don't mention that last year was not among those years. And we even qualified to CL from mercy of our fierce rivals. His showings in league have been strong, but the current season is now 3rd one in a row when we are regressing. Yes. 3rd season in a row. You sound like you would be steering a car forward while only looking into rear-view mirror. You talk about the past, 100% ignoring current situation. Situation where our manager takes a huge s**t onto our own team, going public and saying that "the current Spurs team is not his best" - how is that supposed to help anything? And you make it sound like he would be here for a long run, while the guy himself basically said that he will leave as soon as he wins something. I kind of tend to go by the words of him rather than yours.

You talk like we're in a relegation battle.

And again I want someone to tell me who they would replace him with.
I am not talking like we are in a relegation battle at all. Poch himself admitted that had we won the CL he would have considered leaving...why ? It's because he would have felt his 'project' had been completed and he needed a fresh challenge.
We constantly seem to forget that as much as many of us want him to stay it will be ultimately his decision whether he does or not. What happens, for example, if Man Utd make him a mega bucks offer and he leaves ?
Then it would be all hands to the pump finding a replacement. I am simply pointing out that no matter how much supporters want him it all boils down to does he want us as well.
One more thing, I am sick and tired of the situation where someone suggests it may be time for him to go and is then forced to name a replacement....again, why ?
I said before that if my car breaks down I know I have a problem but I am not suitably qualified to know what that problem is or how to fix it. I leave that to the experts.
I have to trust that Levy and the board would choose someone they feel would take the club forward. They are undoubtedly the people best positioned to make that choice.

When all is said and done one day Poch will leave. I believe it will be by his own volition and no one else's. When that happens someone else will need to fill his shoes, a daunting prospect I admit, but it will be done.
Those are facts, everything else is just pure speculation.

The club might stay healthy but it also means we are risk averse and with that aversion to risk comes little reward.

I am not saying we should do a Man United but we also need to learn when to strike in the market, personally I think we need a DOF, Levy works better with one.

It's about striking a balance between keeping the club healthy but also showing ambition to win things which I don't think Levy handles very well personally.

Didn’t Levy build a squad that just got the CL final?
He also hired a manager that people are falling over themselves saying how we couldn’t get anyone better.

He bought “the best AM in Europe” for 14M

Sorry but if Poch has been a revelation then so has the man that gave him the tools to improve us. But when it comes to Levy, the 450M and 27 players given to Poch was fuck all, because he sold well and balanced the books.

People seem to think he’d be a better chairman if we made losses on players sold instead of profits. It’s a completely idiotic outlook.

64M on Ndombele, but it doesn’t count because we got 40M for Dembele, Trippier and Janssen.
What the living fuck

It would be interesting if a shady Sheik came in and offered twice the market value for the club. I don't doubt that Levy would be reluctant to sell, not wanting to see the club fall into the wrong hands and end what must be a dream job for him, but at the end of the day of course he would sell. It's his job and if he didn't do it properly then someone else would be appointed that would. He's not a monster, just a man doing his job the best he can

Agreed, I don't dislike Levy, he just frustrates me but ultimately he frustrates me because he does the job he has been tasked to do by Lewis so well, which is, run a sustainable business, it's almost robotic and as a supporter who wants to see us win things it can really frustrate at times.

But also at the same time I am very grateful that we are in a healthy place.

I just think Levy needs to "loosen" it up a little bit, take some more risks, I think we need a DOF to handle the football side of things and we need some better scouts imo as well.

Didn’t Levy build a squad that just got the CL final?
He also hired a manager that people are falling over themselves saying how we couldn’t get anyone better.

He bought “the best AM in Europe” for 14M

Sorry but if Poch has been a revelation then so has the man that gave him the tools to improve us. But when it comes to Levy, the 450M and 27 players given to Poch was fuck all, because he sold well and balanced the books.

People seem to think he’d be a better chairman if we made losses on players sold instead of profits. It’s a completely idiotic outlook.

64M on Ndombele, but it doesn’t count because we got 40M for Dembele, Trippier and Janssen.
What the living fuck

You're acting like Levy is perfect mate, it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be, don't make the mistake of being that person, see the grey area, he has made plenty of mistakes, some of which have stifled our progress, the two windows before this being a prime example of that.

Levy has built a fantastic squad of players, no denying that but those players have achieved their potential because of our manager, I also don't believe that Levy expected Poch to be as good as he has been either.

Also, I have no issue with Levy balancing the books but I think he does so at the expense of progress sometimes, Dembele could have stayed for longer for example, Trippier shouldn't have been sold either but I am reluctant to blame Levy for that because I think it's down to the manager to keep hold of these players if he truly wants them.

What I take issue with when it comes to Levy is that, his desire to balance the books sometimes prevents him from making purchases when most needed, or so it seems from the outside anyway.

I just think he needs to be more proactive in the market and strike while the iron is hot, many times under Redknapp and Poch where we could have purchased a player which could have made the difference and pushed us that little bit further but we haven't because of reasons unknown to me.

This was the first window where I think Levy has actually shown some real ambition other than when we got the Bale money.

I don't doubt that all.

But he's broadly risk averse. If we're still struggling in December, top 4 will have gone anyway, so he will stand by Pochettino to turn it the net season. It's very difficult for us to know exactly what's been going on behind the scenes, but I *do* think it's fair to surmise that Pochettino has more than enough credit in the bank with Levy, to see him through this season, at a minimum.

The only way I can see him going is if we genuinely implode and are say in 14/15th come December.

Big games coming up.
Levy is one factor, but what about the rest of the board? What happens if Levy is pro giving Poch the rest of the season, but the remainder of the board votes to let him walk in December/January?

Levy might feel a certain level of confidence and loyalty towards Poch because they work closely together. But I have no idea regarding the rest of the board.

Levy is a lifelong fan and that’s a fact so youre actually the one lying here. So what if he’s a businessman.

My definition of success from the owners of a club is keeping it self sufficient after saving it from relegation battles while taking it to the CL in under a decade, building state of the art facilities, always having massive sponsorship deals, having an academy that produces first team players, providing world class players for a fraction of the price other clubs would have to pay for them, being in a position to hold onto to those players through years of speculation and the media trying to sell them, and hiring a manger that should (and did) have them challenging for major honours.

Where they would have failed would have been by moving to Stratford. A move lauded by many fans as next level.

Build a new ground on WHL though and he should fuck off apparently.....weird.
Fan or not he is ruled by business revenue and this overrides everything. So who cares it aint done us any good.
Dude you've been sucker punched, we may never win anything under him but many will be grateful we aint done a Leeds.
You couldn't make it up brother.

You're acting like Levy is perfect mate, it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be, don't make the mistake of being that person, see the grey area, he has made plenty of mistakes, some of which have stifled our progress, the two windows before this being a prime example of that.

Levy has built a fantastic squad of players, no denying that but those players have achieved their potential because of our manager, I also don't believe that Levy expected Poch to be as good as he has been either.

Also, I have no issue with Levy balancing the books but I think he does so at the expense of progress sometimes, Dembele could have stayed for longer for example, Trippier shouldn't have been sold either but I am reluctant to blame Levy for that because I think it's down to the manager to keep hold of these players if he truly wants them.

What I take issue with when it comes to Levy is that, his desire to balance the books sometimes prevents him from making purchases when most needed, or so it seems from the outside anyway.

I just think he needs to be more proactive in the market and strike while the iron is hot, many times under Redknapp and Poch where we could have purchased a player which could have made the difference and pushed us that little bit further but we haven't because of reasons unknown to me.

This was the first window where I think Levy has actually shown some real ambition other than when we got the Bale money.

So when he bought the France national keeper to upgrade Gomes or paid a record transfer fee for the striker who had just scored 35 goals in La Liga it wasnt ambitious? And we werent even CL then.

Fan or not he is ruled by business revenue and this overrides everything. So who cares it aint done us any good.
Dude you've been sucker punched, we may never win anything under him but many will be grateful we aint done a Leeds.
You couldn't make it up brother.

The manager and players have to win stuff.......money cant buy bottle Im afraid

I find it funny that the chairman is being slated for not winning stuff, from people who want the manager who wins nothing to stay

In my humble opinion,
If Spurs walk off the pitch at Anfield in October and don't have at least 16 pts and are not in the top 6 then alarm bells should be ringing loudly at the club.

So when he bought the France national keeper to upgrade Gomes or paid a record transfer fee for the striker who had just scored 35 goals in La Liga it wasnt ambitious? And we werent even CL then.

Sammy, I am not looking for an argument.

When we brought Lloris he was cheap as chips, everyone was shocked that we even managed to get him, the purchase was a necessity as well, Gomes was costing us badly and we had no decent back-up option.

The question you need to ask yourself is, if Lloris was £40m at the time, would Levy have paid the price? I find that very doubtful, he would have moved on to a more affordable option.

Also, those purchases were made on the back of sales, when I talk about ambition I talk about taking a potential risk in the market when the time seems right, the last two windows before this one we had the chance to strengthen and we didn't, why do you think that is? Surely making purchases at those times would have likely seen us win something? Our squad was flat and running on empty.

Back
Top Bottom