FFP / PSR Requirements & Breaches

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The old joke.
How do you become a millionaire?

Start out a billionaire and buy a football club.

Can’t remember which other poster I had a convo with some time ago. We both have friends/ acquaintances who (part-) own football clubs and have some idea of the money you need to pour into a club to sustain it.
agree with this - I know someone who owns a step 3 club (was languishing at step 5 when he took over) and he’s put in millions - whilst Levy and the Glazers have got away without putting a single penny of their own money in and created billions. Exploitative scum

Strange that a Spurs fan is saying that it's unfair when we've been playing by the rules all along

Same as all the bleeding hearts over Everton now, when half our fanbase was jealous of them at the time when Moshiri was wrecking their club by overspending on bollocks.

agree with this - I know someone who owns a step 3 club (was languishing at step 5 when he took over) and he’s put in millions - whilst Levy and the Glazers have got away without putting a single penny of their own money in and created billions. Exploitative scum

Boring

Pretty impressive from the fans that go and contribute towards this via tickets, match day spending etc - bald cunt has just created a vehicle to exploit the longstanding and long suffering, but wealthy fanbase. The revenue isn’t driven by smart commercial deals or player sales, it’s the fans that fund this
The longest suffering Big 6 fanbase by miles, too.

us Spurs fans tend to like a bit of self flagellation don't we!!...Or bending over a table taking it bareback as our rivals clean up the silverware...More! More
Deeper....Deeper

Congratulating the owners for achieving outstanding financial results that coincide with the decline and failure of the team!!!!

Strange mindset. but hey-ho, as they say 🤷‍♂️

us Spurs fans tend to like a bit of self flagellation don't we!!...Or bending over a table taking it bareback as our rivals clean up the silverware...More! More
Deeper....Deeper

Congratulating the owners for achieving outstanding financial results that coincide with the decline and failure of the team!!!!

Look I'm no levy fan at all, I was one of the few who thought Conte was spot on at the time when he had his rant , and still agree with what he said. The lack of trophies is down to levy being happy with CL revenue . There's no pressure here, theyre used to it:conteshock:

BUT, it's not like he took over a club that was on top or even on the rise and winning things. Spurs before enic were pretty dead. (In my lifetime, born in 88)
Very small stadium , dead training ground. Some absolute garbage players, A club finishing between 15th and 8th
Dreams of qualifying for Europe via fair play league as good as it gets.
It's taken him some time to pull the club out the swamp
Now anything below 4th is a failure, one of the richest clubs in the world , the fact that spurs are now part of the big 6. some of the worlds best players for the last few years.

I hate the lack of trophies, and I'm bored of CL qualification, but You got to give the man his flowers even through gritted teeth for what he's done

Last edited:
Of course they can. Their owners could fairly grow the club through their stadium and commercial deals. Sure it might take a fucking decade plus like it has for us but you can get there as a club. It’s not a quick fix as we well know. See my post above etc.

It's really not difficult imo - create the best youth academy possible, buy young players, hire good coaches, and a have A LOT of patience

Everton couldn't be fucked with any of that - they've repeatedly just tried to cut corners and are still doing so

Seems to me that despite there being far less opportunities to break through Liverpool absolutely dominate the local youth football scene up there

Deeper....Deeper

They have done a good job managing finances and growing revenue - but it’s number 1, 2 and 3 on their strategy objectives, with on field success a distant fourth

Look I'm no levy fan at all, I was one of the few who thought Conte was spot on at the time when he had his rant , and still agree with what he said. The lack of trophies is down to levy being happy with CL revenue . There's no pressure here, theyre used to it:conteshock:

BUT, it's not like he took over a club that was on top or even on the rise and winning things. Spurs before enic were pretty dead. (In my lifetime, born in 88)
Very small stadium , dead training ground. Some absolute garbage players, A club finishing between 15th and 8th
Dreams of qualifying for Europe via fair play league as good as it gets.
It's taken him some time to pull the club out the swamp
Now anything below 4th is a failure, one of the richest clubs in the world , the fact that spurs are now part of the big 6. some of the worlds best players for the last few years.

I hate the lack of trophies, and I'm bored of CL qualification, but You got to give the man his flowers even through gritted teeth for what he's done
Agree but due to your age, you only remember the Sugar years as a benchmark - ten years prior eg 80’s and through 91, we weren’t a dead club at all and regularly signed the best players in England and were arguably bigger than Woolwich, Villa et al (certainly Chelsea, City etc)

They’ve done well to correct Sugars shitshow but let’s not make we were a complete disaster - the fanbase and glamour was always there, just hidden for the 90’s

Yup, I thought it was you.
(One of) my friend’s club was promoted recently so the club’s value went up but he still has to subsidize to the tune of six figures every year — and he’s a relatively small shareholder.
He’s not quite so doe-eyed anymore, I think, and would happily sell just to recoup his investment.

Football just isn’t a great investment most ( nearly all) of the time.

We need something like FFP . Just a bunch of chancers trying to buy clubs these days. Same names keep cropping up. Usually lower league clubs but 777 who are trying to buy Everton don’t look too clever. They own other clubs . Always stories of wages not paid etc.
Who in their right mind would buy a football club anyway. Often said if you want to make a small fortune , start with a large fortune and buy a football club.
Would do your head in if you owned a club and had to watch the likes of Ndombele. Sancho, Rashford. Poncing about while becoming millionaires.

Agree but due to your age, you only remember the Sugar years as a benchmark - ten years prior eg 80’s and through 91, we weren’t a dead club at all and regularly signed the best players in England and were arguably bigger than Woolwich, Villa et al (certainly Chelsea, City etc)

They’ve done well to correct Sugars shitshow but let’s not make we were a complete disaster - the fanbase and glamour was always there, just hidden for the 90’s
I give them credit because they can only work with what they started with — which was a shitshow. They could have settled for more of the same albeit the club wouldn’t be worth what it is now.
There are lots of storied clubs that simply disappear.
Before my time but Bolton, Blackpool, Wolves were at various times the best teams in the country. So were Old Etonians. History is meaningless in an industry where success is measured in weeks. Yes, I’m exaggerating but you get the point.

You have to remember that Sugar bought the club when we were almost going bust. Sold the training ground in Cheshunt. We bought Lineker with 1m which Irving Scholar borrowed from Robert Maxwell at a certain rate of interest and then lent it to the club at a slightly higher rate of interest.
We were a bloody mess under Scholar and Bobroff. Getting Venables involved didn’t help.
He was basically called a liar by a judge and banned from being a company director for 7 years.
All those tributes sidestepped those facts after he died.
Read the book “Dream On “ , very interesting.
Sugar far from the perfect owner but at least he put us back in a decent financial position..

It's really not difficult imo - create the best youth academy possible, buy young players, hire good coaches, and a have A LOT of patience

Everton couldn't be fucked with any of that - they've repeatedly just tried to cut corners and are still doing so

Seems to me that despite there being far less opportunities to break through Liverpool! absolutely dominate the local youth football scene up there

No one has that these days, Man City and Chelsea have skewed people's perception of how a club in meant to be grown.

We need something like FFP . Just a bunch of chancers trying to buy clubs these days. Same names keep cropping up. Usually lower league clubs but 777 who are trying to buy Everton don’t look too clever. They own other clubs . Always stories of wages not paid etc.
Who in their right mind would buy a football club anyway. Often said if you want to make a small fortune , start with a large fortune and buy a football club.
Would do your head in if you owned a club and had to watch the likes of Ndombele. Sancho, Rashford. Poncing about while becoming millionaires.

I think FFP isnt tough enough. With how much money there is in the game, not a single PL club should be operating in the red outside of infrastructure costs. It is ridiculous that they are allowed to.

No one has that these days, Man City and Chelsea have skewed people's perception of how a club in meant to be grown.

100%

Our growth is organic, nobody can touch it. We spend what we make because we have looked at the rules, stuck to them and can reap the benefits of doing so.

When others chucked money at silly wages in a player run market we kept the long term focus in sight, got that stadium sorted and now purse strings are tight we are no longer seen as tight arses. We are in a very healthy place and will only get stronger now. Patience when building an institution and philosophy is key

According to that we're paying more in wages than the scum?

Us who apparently never pay anyone what they are worth? Can't believe that.

Very possibly - we were in CL last year so paying CL bonuses etc to players, whereas Woolwich wasn't

We also had higher revenues than Woolwich due to CL last season to pay the wages from.

fyi this is the uefa report saying we paid 289m v Woolwich 270m (all in euros) in wages. Big gap up to ManU and Liverpool wages though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom