Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One to stick on the new stadium wall for future players to draw inspiration from:

1143350816.jpg.0.jpg

Son or even Moura as a false 9

Kane was injured last season - Llorente contributed virtually nothing. He's too old to be an impact player from the bench

I think you're confused.

You as a poster contribute virtually nothing. Llorente scored a goal that got us to a Champions League semi final.

Im surprised you didn't realise.

A different option, proven goal scorer and probably content to be a plan B - something we don't have.

If it fucks Chelsea over too all the better.

All the melters complain about a lack of depth. This is depth. Alternative options.

We need a striker. Most would agree. This is ideal IMO.

You know what, back in the day when everyone said "You'll never sign a Basque player" I was gutted when he went to Juve.

He has won everything and if he weighs more than Hudd it's because of the size of his balls rather than the size of his ketchup bottle.

I fucking loved Gudjohnson for coming in and being a man amongst boys when we needed him for a season, if all Llorente does is help sort out our attitude during Wembley that'll be enough for me. I'm fucking made up that The Sock Mk IV is here. Who knows, maybe Damiao will be filling our sacks at Christmas.
He actually isn't Basque at all, funnily enough, he got to play for Athletic Bilbao by them stretching the rules of Basqueness ridiculously, not for the first time.

Story is this. He comes from the La Rioja region, to the south of the Basque Country. His mum was a nurse at Pamplona Hospital in the neighbouring region of Navarra. This region is about a third Basque (in the north) and two thirds Castillian Spanish, but the whole area is claimed by the most fervently nationalist as being Euskal Herria, the Greater Basque Lands. When she was pregnant with the future Fernando, she decided to have her baby where she worked rather than in the nearest hospital to where she lived, Logroño. Three days later they went home to La Rioja again.

So his Basqueness is based on having been largely asleep for the first three days of his life in a city that is isn't really Basque to begin with.

What a surprise, the more game time he gets the better he looks, put in a HUGE shift today, ran 11k, won seven headers (the most on either side) made 3 key passes, and scored the winner ...

Sure he missed a few, but so does Kane (remember Utd) and the rest of our front line, it's very hard to be an unused back-up so coming in and scoring 2 goals in 3 starts, gotta luv that

901 minutes played this season (Equivalent of starting 10 games)
8 goals
5 assists

985 minutes played last season (Equivalent of starting just under 11 games)
5 goals
1 assist

More then paid back his fee.

Last edited:
You know what, back in the day when everyone said "You'll never sign a Basque player" I was gutted when he went to Juve.

He has won everything and if he weighs more than Hudd it's because of the size of his balls rather than the size of his ketchup bottle.

I fucking loved Gudjohnson for coming in and being a man amongst boys when we needed him for a season, if all Llorente does is help sort out our attitude during Wembley that'll be enough for me. I'm fucking made up that The Sock Mk IV is here. Who knows, maybe Damio will be filing our sacks at Christmas.

He'll teach Kane a lot. I expect to see a more shrewd, patient version of our main man due to Llorente's contribution.

We have options on our bench now. Wonderful!

Last edited:
If the renaissance of Llorente and Sissoko (and maybe include Lamela in the equation) has taught our supporters anything, it's to get off the players' backs. Any players. All players. Even if a particular individual is having a poor game or run of matches, give him, and the ten others, 100% backing. When Poch puts out a team, he has total confidence in those guys to do a job, and if he continues to play someone that some fans consider to be poor/out of form, then we need to show the same faith. I'm totally baffled as to how some of our supporters consider it helpful in any way to swear, boo, hurl abuse or belittle in any way, one of our squad. It is telling that after impressive performances an/or goals by one of the oft criticised players other team mates are quoted as saying how pleased they are for the guy and how they're a good guy and that they are an important part of the squad. The confidence is boosted (aided by vocal backing from the fans) and the next minute you have a reborn Moussa or Fernando.

Remember how for a while we were saying we needed someone to be the old head, the one who had been there done that around Europe

We found him, filled the gap we needed as a number 9 and seems to be the big brother on campus too, take a bow, so many important contributions - masterful

I'm sure some people on here have forgotten that football is a team sport. There are times where the facts and stats are irrelevant as the impact a player has on a game can be in what they do for their team mates. Holding the ball, find the right pass, pulling defenders out of position, etc.

Personally I really like Fernando and I'd be happy if he stays as I think he's been a great backup to Kane and still has something to offer. Not many players would be happy spending so much time sitting on the bench then get stuck in as he does.
But equally if he goes that's fine too, we have other options.

Back
Top Bottom