European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Unless they have already for a streaming deal in place. JP Morgan would never finance a league that doesn't have broadcasters lined up. That would just make the ESL like the XFL.

No, this has apparently been in the works for a solid 18 months and it was just accelerated because of the breakdown of agreement between UEFA and the new CL format.

Ps. Agnelli and glazer are both cunts from what I heard worked the inside as long as possible before bailing.
I hear you, and you make good points.

But from a strictly Big Corp, whitewashing over the issues, don't damage the product, perspective, the likes of Neville & Carragher are openly inciting a rebellion against Comcast's future profits. And the Sky anchor is egging them on.

Carragher saying that people will get bored of seeing Liverpool vs Real Madrid every year, it used to be special, don't play them all the time, blah, blah.

Well, people haven't got bored of seeing Liverpool vs Utd for the past 100 years.

dumb question - do you think our players were aware of this hence their lack of motivation/attitude issues? i mean, if this was in the works for 12-18 months, then a lot of it makes sense. if we were going to be guaranteed a spot regardless of how shit we were then wtf was the point.
I don't think so, not unless they had some hire up agents who knew this was happening.

The fact that players haven't come out in favour of against the plan means that they probably weren't expecting this backlash to say the least.

Part of me really hopes Messi comes out against this with Barcelona. If one man if a club and should be listened to then it should be Messi.

dumb question - do you think our players were aware of this hence their lack of motivation/attitude issues? i mean, if this was in the works for 12-18 months, then a lot of it makes sense. if we were going to be guaranteed a spot regardless of how shit we were then wtf was the point.
No

People refer to the goons as Woolwich because they moved from there and it is a despised idea that teams move locations. Loads of American teams move. Trying to understand the basketball leagues is fucking impossible.
Loads? In the past 20 years two basketball teams moved. Seattle became OKC and Charlotte became New Orleans and then Charlotte got a new team. Seems pretty simple to me.

It's not two sides of the same coin though.
ESL will bankrupt tonnes of smaller clubs and leagues from other nations.
I think it is, one is just more cold-blooded and expedient. UEFA have been gleefully strangling grassroots football to fill their pockets with blood money and payoffs for decades. They were going to bankrupt those same clubs and leagues...they were just really shit at doing it and so it would've taken another 15-20 years.

Not defending the ESL. But UEFA/FIFA have no place playing the victim.

This comment is complete BS as well.

I see that the "cool" thing now is for NA football fans to talk about how terrible US sports are. That may be their opinion which is fine, but the sweeping generalizations are ridiculous.
That comment isn't BS - it's a fact. There is zero sense or urgency or desperation in 95% of games in American sports leagues. There is no relegation, there is no top 4 and there is no champions league. Every year, it's the same groundhog day story line.

Watching Gary Neville continually troll us makes me want to join the ESL. Sky Sports now seems little more than full time Spurs Trolling channel. Fuck 'em.
He totally slated United , well the Glazers, fair play to him . He was very condescending to us and Woolwich , but he wasn’t lying if we are honest. it’s a shit idea without any merit or consideration of fans.

Loads? In the past 20 years two basketball teams moved. Seattle became OKC and Charlotte became New Orleans and then Charlotte got a new team. Seems pretty simple to me.
I thought that - I haven’t really followed NBA for 20 years ish but all seems as it was pretty much to a Brit!

Carragher saying that people will get bored of seeing Liverpool vs Real Madrid every year, it used to be special, don't play them all the time, blah, blah.

Well, people haven't got bored of seeing Liverpool vs Utd for the past 100 years.

Surely you could make this argument about any league? But most other leagues would have worse teams

I think it is, one is just more cold-blooded and expedient. UEFA have been gleefully strangling grassroots football to fill their pockets with blood money and payoffs for decades. They were going to bankrupt those same clubs and leagues...they were just really shit at doing it and so it would've taken another 15-20 years.

Not defending the ESL. But UEFA/FIFA have no place playing the victim.
Perhaps in the next 15-20 years UEFA would have done something similar. And I'd be against it then.
Fans need to take a stand now.

People refer to the goons as Woolwich because they moved from there and it is a despised idea that teams move locations. Loads of American teams move. Trying to understand the basketball leagues is fucking impossible.

Great, not sure what that has to do with the entertainment value in NA sports.

Basketball leagues are easy to understand and I hate basketball.

I hear you, and you make good points.

But from a strictly Big Corp, whitewashing over the issues, don't damage the product, perspective, the likes of Neville & Carragher are openly inciting a rebellion against Comcast's future profits. And the Sky anchor is egging them on.
Do you think Comcast executives really think that 90% of their customers know who Neville and Carragher are though? Or care? I doubt Karen Smith from Boise, Idaho who's son supports Man U really cares what an ex player thinks about the ESL as much as Tracy from Essex cares about what LeBron has to say about the NBA

That comment isn't BS - it's a fact. There is zero sense or urgency or desperation in 95% of games in American sports leagues. There is no relegation, there is no top 4 and there is no champions league. Every year, it's the same groundhog day story line.

None of what that person said or what you said is true.

It might be how you feel about it, but it is far from true. Who cares if there is no relegation or top 4 or CL, that doesn't make it better or worse. Doesn't come close to making it groundhog day.

I have never ever seen such a united front amongst fans. This seems likes it past team loyalty. This may somehow to turn in to a occupy Wall Street of football
Hopefully a revolution that will make the game more equitable in general. More power to fans, safe standing, younger fans etc. Unfortunately we are and will be rightly condemned and punished. Eventually we will come back with our tails between our legs.
It is am embarrassing joke. I am disgusted by it and some of our support for the mafia league. I am not even sure what our specific gripe is with UEFA.

Back
Top Bottom