European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
I can't speak for all American fans and I almost feel like it's not my place to comment on this situation but with some of backlash directed at Americans I just want to say from my perspective this ESL idea is completely idiotic.

It's difficult being an American fan, I rarely meet anyone who I can talk to about football and a lot of people will straight up talk shit about the sport the second you mention it even though they have absolutely no idea. I feel like I live in a bubble and if I didn't come to this forum I would feel completely out of touch. We get shit from people who aren't American for being fans as well (most of the time it's in good fun though and not actual hate).

The ESL would be a badge of shame for any supporter of these clubs, no more low key convincing yourself that the players or owners give a shit about the fans, you become a consumer of football, they don't even need us in the stands, they can pipe in virtual crowd noise and sell virtual tickets, I understand it looks like American Sports but it's honestly just human greed, big business assholes swinging their dicks around trying to take money from anyone they see as lesser.

When I started playing games like FIFA and WE/PES and learned the format of the league with relegation and promotion it was such a breathe of fresh air. I started watching matches and highlights when I could and then started researching the history of these teams and the local rivalries and the passion of the supporters. At that point this became the only sport I cared about.

I feel frustrated this could hurt the sport I enjoy, I feel absolutely devastated for what this could do to the clubs and communities that get left behind, I dread seeing boring crowds of bandwagon fans and businessmen filling the stadiums. Although this already seemed to be happening before COVID. It's been a dream of mine to travel to London and be in attendance at a Spurs match to be a part of the supporters, with the way things are going I hope I can make that happen before the experience is just a watered down corporate shit show.

It all stinks to the high heavens but this is the inevitable conclusion to the process that began with the Premier League breakaway in 1992, the implications of the Bosman ruling, the slow death of the FA Cup and domestic Cups and the expansion of the old European Cup to include 2nd, 3rd and 4th place sides.

I'm surprised there is such a fuss over it. Presumably, Dortmund, Bayern and PSG will eventually join up as the core clubs, so you have there there the 15 richest clubs in the world and 14 of the 15 (Citeh odd man out) that have played in every Champions League Final since 2004. This notion of a football pyramid, that Accrington Stanley can harbour ambitions of going all the way up through the divisions and eventually mixing it with the big boys went out the window years ago. There is no romance in football any more. US/Russian/oil money Middle Eastern owners don't give a fuck about fans. It’s all about money and as much of it as they can get.

I think it's a disgrace.

I'm glad Jose has gone, but because he opposed the Super Greedy League and not because of results, morale, shite play etc? That's just insult to injury.

It's fucking greed.

Football has been evolving into what this will be the final push to make the transformation complete: billionaire owners teams and not regional teams.

I think fans themselves should drop down a division and support a lower league local club.

I saw this on the BBC which I think is a really good appraisal. And it's from a yank. And a lady yank. And a lady gooner yank. Just saying. (No offence Mrs P, my point is that she is showing a lot more appreciation for the situation than a lot of men at the moment in a male dominated sport).

Los Angeles-based Woolwich podcaster Jessica Black, from The She Knows podcast, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I wish we were talking under different circumstances. Watching sports in America you can easily turn it off and turn it back on. When your team isn't doing well - because there isn't a lot of jeopardy, you can turn it off.

"The difference between American sports and English football is that jeopardy. The feeling anyone can do something magical. Those stories don't exist in American sport and that is why I love watching English sport. It is more sterile in America and I hate to see English football if that is what we are looking at in the future.

"I don't want to see Woolwich in some closed leagues, where it doesn't matter if we lose or we win. The American owners are having a hard time upholding the expectation of the fans. Woolwich fans have never felt less of a priority than they do now. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. The nail in the coffin, the club feel further away to the club than ever before and I don't think the Kroenke's care. A lot of fans will slip through the cracks."

I think it's a disgrace.

I'm glad Jose has gone, but because he opposed the Super Greedy League and not because of results, morale, shite play etc? That's just insult to injury.

That is not what happened at all. Some fake twitter dude posted it. It really shows how easily false information can spread.

Jose was fired for results and morale.

Los Angeles-based Woolwich podcaster Jessica Black, from The She Knows podcast, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I wish we were talking under different circumstances. Watching sports in America you can easily turn it off and turn it back on. When your team isn't doing well - because there isn't a lot of jeopardy, you can turn it off.

This comment is complete BS as well.

I see that the "cool" thing now is for NA football fans to talk about how terrible US sports are. That may be their opinion which is fine, but the sweeping generalizations are ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom