European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Do you think Comcast executives really think that 90% of their customers know who Neville and Carragher are though? Or care? I doubt Karen Smith from Boise, Idaho who's son supports Man U really cares what an ex player thinks about the ESL as much as Tracy from Essex cares about what LeBron has to say about the NBA
No of course they don't know who Neville & Carragher are. I agree with that.

But they're calling for a fan boycott & protest of the Spurs v Shitty cup final because the "Evil Clubs have made the match irrevelant."

If that initiative gathers steam, then the ESL project could be sabotaged by supporters,. And that would affect Comcast's future profits if they've already had significant negotiations with the Gang of Twelve about subscriptions & digital streaming , as well as TV rights, etc.

None of what that person said or what you said is true.

It might be how you feel about it, but it is far from true. Who cares if there is no relegation or top 4 or CL, that doesn't make it better or worse. Doesn't come close to making it groundhog day.
You clearly don't understand how American sports leagues operate.

The relegation system doesn't matter? Are you kidding?

For instance, do you know that in American sports leagues, the teams at the bottom of the standings purposely lose games and fight to get last place to get a more favorable spot in the next seasons draft? It's actually beneficial if they are closer to the bottom of the table.

And have you heard of the term "Load Management?" That fucking concept doesn't exist in European football.

In the PL, almost EVERY match matters and there's a sense of desperation. That includes teams at the bottom of the table because of relegation.

Carragher saying that people will get bored of seeing Liverpool vs Real Madrid every year, it used to be special, don't play them all the time, blah, blah.

Well, people haven't got bored of seeing Liverpool vs Utd for the past 100 years.
Because historically, the fans are also friends, family and colleagues so there is an investment.
Perhaps in the next 15-20 years UEFA would have done something similar. And I'd be against it then.
Fans need to take a stand now.
more like 5 years... FIFA can do one too. Really hopeful this triggers a power grab and there is global reform, pivoting to the German model

For instance, do you know that in American sports leagues, the teams at the bottom of the standings purposely lose games and fight to get last place to get a more favorable spot in the next seasons draft? It's actually beneficial if they are closer to the bottom of the table.

And have you heard of the term "Load Management?" That fucking concept doesn't exist in European football.

In the PL, almost EVERY match matters and there's a sense of desperation. That includes teams at the bottom of the table because of relegation.
I’ve been to a few dead rubber baseball games towards the end of the season and no-one is there to watch sport. Even the players don’t seem to give a F

Most Spurs fans I know like Wright. The old joke he is really a Spurs fan.

I am not English, so I don't get the rivalry thing, but how can you not like his clear-headed takes? He is rarely a favoritist. He doesn't go out of his way to make jokes at Spurs. He is a class act. Just cause he played for that club, doesn't mean he is an evil dude. Grow up folks, life is too short to get up in arms over a crest.

I have to agree, although being in UK, my sleeping pattern is more in line with US, and hence watch numerous NBA, NHL and MLB games.
In NBA specifically, many teams "tank" from very early on in season, so they have better chance of all important lottery draft at end of season.

The intensity in regular season and play-off games is off the charts, it really looks that for 90% of season players are going through the motions.

15-20 years?

They are doing something similar right now with their co-efficient qualification.
No they're not. They've expanded UCL so many teams can enter, including teams from smaller nations. There's only 2 clubs where co-efficient matters. But that is partly based on merit. If we keep performing poorly in Europe, our coefficient will go down. However, we are permanent members of ESL.

I am not saying UEFA is perfect. But let's not pretend that a measure that means that wealth is taken away from 80 smaller teams and funnelled into a few elite teams is justifiable because UEFA have also done some bad things.

I have to agree.
In NBA specifically, many teams "tank" from very early on in season, so they have better chance of all important lottery draft at end of season.

The intensity in regular season and play-off games is off the charts, it really looks that for 90% of season players are going through the motions.

I remember waking up at 8am for Saturday and Sunday broadcasts of the NBA. Being a Portland Trailblazer fan, a very small market, we were competing with the Pistons and MJ. It was a thing of beauty.

Then Lebron did his shit. Demanded his move and the league has gone to utter shit IMO. Plus the rule changes of no hands above the 3 and so forth have ruined the game. It's just a bunch of 3 pointers and pick and rolls where you can barely touch a player before you get 6 fouls.

Its getting all too familiar with this shit going down and all the rule changes in football.

Firstly, to clarify; I hate it and everything it stands for.

But, I do love how sky hammer home the point that “ this is all about money” whilst referencing that the likes of Spurs and Woolwich don’t deserve to be there on performances.

Haven’t they just said it’s all about money. Which we generate more of - Hence our involvement.

I remember waking up at 8am for Saturday and Sunday broadcasts of the NBA. Being a Portland Trailblazer fan, a very small market, we were competing with the Pistons and MJ. It was a thing of beauty.

Then Lebron did his shit. Demanded his move and the league has gone to utter shit IMO. Plus the rule changes of no hands above the 3 and so forth have ruined the game. It's just a bunch of 3 pointers and pick and rolls where you can barely touch a player before you get 6 fouls.
Agree on the 3’s and fouls. Make no mistake, football is going (gone) the same way with VAR, diving etc

Back
Top Bottom