Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was painful today watching him overplay the requirements of his position again and again and again. This uncheckable impulse appears to be his fatal flaw as a defender. I almost feel like he shouldn't even be trying to play CCB if he can't stop himself from handling the ball that much, and that we'd be better off trying to play him at RCB instead.

I think he might need a game on the bench just to think all through a bit more.

It was painful today watching him overplay the requirements of his position again and again and again. This uncheckable impulse appears to be his fatal flaw as a defender. I almost feel like he shouldn't even be trying to play CCB if he can't stop himself from handling the ball that much, and that we'd be better off trying to play him at RCB instead.

I think he might need a game on the bench just to think all through a bit more.

The problem is who would replace him? Romero and Sanchez have both had a go a CCB with disastrous results, lenglet maybe??
Definitely a position that needs looking at in January

The problem is who would replace him? Romero and Sanchez have both had a go a CCB with disastrous results, lenglet maybe??
Definitely a position that needs looking at in January
I don't know, but maybe that question can be addressed in the upcoming window, or next summer. Maybe Lenglet-Romero-Sanchez can work well. I would definitely like to see what could happen if we let our best defender (Romero) take the line-leading position and be responsible for organizing our defense. Makes sense right?

If Conte leaves (which will happen FOR SURE if we fail to secure CL ball), I think Kane will demand an exit (to Bayern?), which will put us into a malleable rebuilding mode. At that time is the perfect time to replace and ship out Dier.

If Conte keeps us top 4 and Kane stays at the club, I sorta doubt we'll look to replace Dier at all, unfortunately.

I don't know, but maybe that question can be addressed in the upcoming window, or next summer. Maybe Lenglet-Romero-Sanchez can work well. I would definitely like to see what could happen if we let our best defender (Romero) take the line-leading position and be responsible for organizing our defense. Makes sense right?

If Conte leaves (which will happen FOR SURE if we fail to secure CL ball), I think Kane will demand an exit (to Bayern?), which will put us into a malleable rebuilding mode. At that time is the perfect time to replace and ship out Dier.

If Conte keeps us top 4 and Kane stays at the club, I sorta doubt we'll look to replace Dier at all, unfortunately.
I don’t see how Dier and Kane are connected here? If we buy a new CB, Dier would go LCB or benched and become a depth option if we cannot sell him.

I don't know, but maybe that question can be addressed in the upcoming window, or next summer.
if this actually gets sorted in the january window ill be confident of a strong season. you get the impression hes one of the golden boys though that people view through tinted glasses.

him and davies are the same sort of level footballer, dier plays in a more damaging position though.

i would like to see what lenglet is like in the CCB role. hes the best passer of the ball we have back there imo. its basically a 1/4 back role where that CCB gets loads of the ball and loads of time but needs to be able to get things ticking. with what we got now youd think its got to be either lenglet or romero. if neither of them are good enough for CCB then the scouts better get to work

I don’t see how Dier and Kane are connected here? If we buy a new CB, Dier would go LCB or benched and become a depth option if we cannot sell him.
Kane and Dier are very good friends, and I believe there has long been suggestion that, along with others like Son, Lloris, they are part of a clubroom inner circle that has the most clout with Levy and with the club, which itself was somewhat showcased by the whole Mason's Mate debacle and just who got playing time. It's been subtly alluded to by just about all of our coaches post Poch as well.

When Kane goes will be the time to break up that social knot so that something else can emerge at the club.

if this actually gets sorted in the january window ill be confident of a strong season. you get the impression hes one of the golden boys though that people view through tinted glasses.

him and davies are the same sort of level footballer, dier plays in a more damaging position though.

i would like to see what lenglet is like in the CCB role. hes the best passer of the ball we have back there imo. its basically a 1/4 back role where that CCB gets loads of the ball and loads of time but needs to be able to get things ticking. with what we got now youd think its got to be either lenglet or romero. if neither of them are good enough for CCB then the scouts better get to work
I like what you've said, but Lenglet is also our only top quality LCB, and the loss we'd incur by playing him out of position from there would overshadow whatever gains we could make by having him at CCB right now, imo.

As far as Dier is concerned, getting rid of him is really hard for us right now. I don't know that he has a great market right now (maybe after the world cup?). We also have a shitton of deadwood we already need to deal with, and this would probably just add to that.

Also I don't think Dier is the type of person would be ok with being benched for too long. He's got sort of a weird personality that takes things to extremes sometimes (going up into stands episode; bury my ashes at WHL talk) that makes me think he'd be more likely to have a meltdown or lash out.

Its a pretty delicate subject unfortunately.

I like what you've said, but Lenglet is also our only top quality LCB, and the loss we'd incur by playing him out of position from there would overshadow whatever gains we could make by having him at CCB right now, imo.

As far as Dier is concerned, getting rid of him is really hard for us right now. I don't know that he has a great market right now (maybe after the world cup?). We also have a shitton of deadwood we already need to deal with, and this would probably just add to that.

Also I don't think Dier is the type of person would be ok with being benched for too long. He's got sort of a weird personality that takes things to extremes sometimes (going up into stands episode; bury my ashes at WHL talk) that makes me think he'd be more likely to have a meltdown or lash out.

Its a pretty delicate subject unfortunately.
but CCB is a more important position that LCB. that CCB sees too much of the ball to have a player there whos no good on the ball. would love to see what lenglet is like there. he cant be any worse than dier can he? what is he competing against? imagine lenglet with as much of the ball and all the time dier has on it? i back him to actually produce some quality from them situations instead of absolute nothingness like dier. then whats he competing with when it comes to defending? someone who backs off until he gets in his own box then puts his arms behind his back and turns his body so they get a clean shot at goal? fuck me if lenglet cant upgrade that i'll be shocked!

fuck dier and his sensitive personality. spursy.

you dont even need lenglet to start threading balls through from that position, you just need him to get the simple passes right. angled, timed and weighted. dier isnt capable of that, he ends up trying to go long and its a hit and hope. that one earlier where he passed it off the pitch when it was a simple ball for doc to run onto 8 yards away just sums him up. them simple passes out from the back are so fucking important, they set the rhythm for the phase of play. if you got donkeys trying to get it going it aint going to get going full stop.

when you watch an actual elite side pass out from the back its all crisp passes that are accurate and clean. dier, davies and sanchez are incapable of that.

Last edited:

Not for me, Romero has been poor this season and is not ready to play the organiser role at the back.
Langlet has probably been our best defender so far this season, not that that is saying much as we give away far too many chances away in such a defensive system

but CCB is a more important position that LCB. that CCB sees too much of the ball to have a player there whos no good on the ball. would love to see what lenglet is like there. he cant be any worse than dier can he? what is he competing against? imagine lenglet with as much of the ball and all the time dier has on it? i back him to actually produce some quality from them situations instead of absolute nothingness like dier. then whats he competing with when it comes to defending? someone who backs off until he gets in his own box then puts his arms behind his back and turns his body so they get a clean shot at goal? fuck me if lenglet cant upgrade that i'll be shocked!

fuck dier and his sensitive personality. spursy.

you dont even need lenglet to start threading balls through from that position, you just need him to get the simple passes right. angled, timed and weighted. dier isnt capable of that, he ends up trying to go long and its a hit and hope. that one earlier where he passed it off the pitch when it was a simple ball for doc to run onto 8 yards away just sums him up. them simple passes out from the back are so fucking important, they set the rhythm for the phase of play. if you got donkeys trying to get it going it aint going to get going full stop.
I never said I'm not down to see us try Lenglet at CCB. Just that we'd have to find a good LCB to replace him, and I'm pretty sure that's not Davies, Sanchez, or Romero.

He wasn't great today but he didn't look the same after taking that shot on the chin...
If fact he was all over the place for 5 mins after that, probably should of been replaced with caution in mind

that 1st goal is a disgrace. son not even challenging for the ball in the middle of the pitch and allowing a free header and dier trying to chest it down to a teammate where he should be controlling it himself and taking charge. utter shit! cant belive people tried saying that was PEH's fault LOL whats he meant to do with that fucking shit chest down? hes probably not even expecting it because it was retarded and a shit attempt at giving him the ball anyway. 2 big mistakes...deserve to concede a goal! utter shit.

2nd goal, romero goes in for a challenge, ball comes loose. dier does his hands behind his back flat footed turning shit, should of been coming in tighter to fred anyway to give him no space at all. a poor touch from fred, bounces off dier (because hes standing like a fucking statue again! and does it yet again so fernandes can use his body to bend round! utter shit defending! how about show some aggression and get into people instead of standing like a statue with your hands behind your fucking back and turning sideways!!! dog shit. this is the bloke whos our last line of defence. fucking laughable! as soon as hes faced up with actually stopping an attacker he automatically backs off and puts his arms behind his back and turns...on what planet is that good defending?

oh and the rashford chance he should of scored. poor from perisic but yet again our main defender taken completely out of it by a simple little cut back from rashford...just no where near fucking good enough.

Last edited:
that 1st goal is a disgrace. son not even challenging for the ball in the middle of the pitch and allowing a free header and dier trying to chest it down to a teammate where he should be controlling it himself and taking charge. utter shit! cant belive people tried saying that was PEH's fault LOL whats he meant to do with that fucking shit chest down? hes probably not even expecting it because it was retarded and a shit attempt at giving him the ball anyway. 2 big mistakes...deserve to concede a goal! utter shit.

2nd goal, romero goes in for a challenge, ball comes loose. dier does his hands behind his back flat footed turning shit, should of been coming in tighter to fred anyway to give him no space at all. a poor touch from fred, bounces off dier (because hes standing like a fucking statue again! and does it yet again so fernandes can use his body to bend round! utter shit defending! how about show some aggression and get into people instead of standing like a statue with your hands behind your fucking back and turning sideways!!! dog shit. this is the bloke whos our last line of defence. fucking laughable! as soon as hes faced up with actually stopping an attacker he automatically backs off and puts his arms behind his back and turns...on what planet is that good defending?

oh and the rashford chance he should of scored. poor from perisic but yet again our main defender taken completely out of it by a simple little cut back from rashford...just no where near fucking good enough.
I'm glad you see this.

He makes no actual genuine attempts to stop goals most of the time if you actually fully critique what he does. His goal is to not look like the causer of the goal so he is careful at not tackling and not putting his arms up for a handball call (hence his ridiculously cautious 'hands by side' run).

I'm glad you see this.

He makes no actual genuine attempts to stop goals most of the time if you actually fully critique what he does. His goal is to not look like the causer of the goal so he is careful at not tackling and not putting his arms up for a handball call (hence his ridiculously cautious 'hands by side' run).
his backing off fucks me right off its pathetic! he allows them to get so close to the goal they can have a decent attempt, hell even be flat footed and turn his body so you have more of the goal to hit.

he done it the other day and someone said he was blocking the near post HAHAHAH. they nearly fucking scored and should have really! its a joke

Bang average meat headed toss pot. Never rated him. Never particularly liked him. Just a passionate guy that is over rated by supporters because he shows a bit of grit at times. He’s a shit defender full of mistakes.

He's convinced people that he's improved immeasurably when the reality is he's just been stuck in a system which suits him. All the same limitations are there, he's mistake prone, slow & easy to turn. Clever, fast & technical players will make mincemeat of him if he actually has to defend against them as an individual.

By no means a bad player. Strong in the air, good organiser, decent distributor. But limited. A team with Dier at the heart of defence will never win a league.

He's convinced people that he's improved immeasurably when the reality is he's just been stuck in a system which suits him. All the same limitations are there, he's mistake prone, slow & easy to turn. Clever, fast & technical players will make mincemeat of him if he actually has to defend against them as an individual.

By no means a bad player. Strong in the air, good organiser, decent distributor. But limited. A team with Dier at the heart of defence will never win a league.
I was never ever convinced. Even in his period of 'form' I said that I wasn't trying to sound like a hater but it's the system that he is benefitting from and the fact that he literally does not tackle ( last season he attempted 15 tackles and had a 60% success rate which of course is a shambles).

Back
Top Bottom