Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think Lenglet stays. Think the wages will be a stumbling block and we will go in for a long-term LCB signing, i.e a Gvardiol or Bastoni. I think he's been decent so far but unexceptional defensively. He's classy on the ball though, no doubt..

The three you mention need to go for sure. Just not good enough.

You can easily see Barca wanting his off the wage bill; possibly at the expense of accepting a nominal trf fee..... In which case the net impact of those wages is significantly reduced. He's no titan; but he's steadier than I expected him to be.

Once the other clubs start to wave their chequebooks about, I really can't see us getting 2 of Skriniar, Gvardiol & Bastoni in one window. That would be a serious dent in the CB market and would require none of the richer clubs wanting to recruit in that position.

You can easily see Barca wanting his off the wage bill; possibly at the expense of accepting a nominal trf fee..... In which case the net impact of those wages is significantly reduced. He's no titan; but he's steadier than I expected him to be.

Once the other clubs start to wave their chequebooks about, I really can't see us getting 2 of Skriniar, Gvardiol & Bastoni in one window. That would be a serious dent in the CB market and would require none of the richer clubs wanting to recruit in that position.

I could see one non marquee pickup & one big signing. So one player to challenge Davies or Dier and the other to definitely replace one of them.

You're probably right we won't get both. But I still don't see Lenglet staying for whatever reason. I wouldn't be totally against it or anything, he's been pretty good.

Don't think Lenglet stays. Think the wages will be a stumbling block and we will go in for a long-term LCB signing, i.e a Gvardiol or Bastoni. I think he's been decent so far but unexceptional defensively. He's classy on the ball though, no doubt..

The three you mention need to go for sure. Just not good enough.
IMO, it's more likely Lenglet stays, than we overpay on a Gvardiol or a Bastoni profile-player, unless that player is English/HG.

Lenglet's on his last year at nearly £200K/wk (we're splitting w/ Barça I believe). Depending on how our season goes, I could see us offering/him accepting a 2-3 year-deal in the £100K-£150K/wk (+ targeted bonuses) range.

Edit: Lenglet contract ends June 2026.

Last edited:
IMO, it's more likely Lenglet stays, than we overpay on a Gvardiol or a Bastoni profile-player, unless that player is English/HG.

Lenglet's on his last year at nearly £200K/wk (we're splitting w/ Barça I believe). Depending on how our season goes, I could see us offering/him accepting a 2-3 year-deal in the £100K-£150K/wk (+ targeted bonuses) range.

TFM says his deal runs until 2026.

TFM says his deal runs until 2026.

Yes, corrected, until 2026.

Well, we're not getting into a bidding war over Lenglet, but Barça's probably not keen on another 3 years @ £200K/wk for Xavi's 4th/5th CB choice.

IMO, it's still more likely we sign Lenglet than a Gvardiol or a Bastoni b/c:
1. He's already here.
2. We've already been at the table w/ Barça and Lenglet's reps.
3. Inertia. It's easy.

His highlight reel at Spurs will forever be squaring up to a Spurs fan. More useless than Winks. And he puts in half of a performance and suddenly he’s the golden boy again. No, sorry, he’s always been a terrible player.

Take him to the world cup and watch us go out in the group

He's very good at making it painfully obvious to everyone he has his arms by his sides so therefore won't concede a handball.

Say what you want about how erratic Sanchez or Romero are but at least they make attempts to tackle and not concede.

Dier's only real ambition/goal is to not do anything dumb that will look bad on him so he's decided to try and block the ball and if that fails so be it...as long as there isn't a mistake leading up to the goal by him.

His highlight reel at Spurs will forever be squaring up to a Spurs fan. More useless than Winks. And he puts in half of a performance and suddenly he’s the golden boy again. No, sorry, he’s always been a terrible player.

Take him to the world cup and watch us go out in the group
He was good last season but been patchy this season, an issue. Get to fuck with the Winks comment

He was terrible tonight.
But so was Hugo v Arse.
There is always one reliable player that cracks in the big games.
I can't say replacing him with Sanchez made me feel good, though.

Funny a few weeks ago everyone calling for him to be in the England squad, and now he’s the worst player in Spurs. Dier isn’t the problem lol.

Don't worry.

We could win 2-0 at the weekend and Conte will be back in the good books. Dier will be back to being Englands best defender. Hojbjerg will be our player of the season again and Harry will be BACK.

hes priority to upgrade now. that CCB needs to be a fucking good player in this system. they see a lot of the ball and are required to be good on it to get the attacks going. even the simple passes need to be spot on, it sets the tone and with dier hes just not on that level.

hes got to be an attackers dream when they are running at goal and hes the only defender they are faced with. hell be standing there 3 foot away with his arms behind his back turning his body so you can have a clean shot at goal when you are in range!

In all his time here he's had one decent half season as a dm (thanks to dembele) and a half decent season last year. Time after time he's not good enough. He just continuously back tracks doesn't engage with attackers has no positional awareness the list is long. He's been what you expect of a bargain £3.5m signing he's never been a top level player and never will be.

Back
Top Bottom