Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was never ever convinced. Even in his period of 'form' I said that I wasn't trying to sound like a hater but it's the system that he is benefitting from and the fact that he literally does not tackle ( last season he attempted 15 tackles and had a 60% success rate which of course is a shambles).

I don't mind the lack of tackling so much. His role is more of a passive one as the LCB/RCB step out a bit more, and that's OK.

But it still seems very obvious to me that when he's not protected by the system, he still falters .. far too regularly.

(tbf this season he has taken the piss a bit with regards to not tackling .. numerous times he's just stood and watched players before they score.)

Clever, fast & technical players will make mincemeat of him if he actually has to defend against them as an individual.
average attackers can make mince meat of him let alone the worlds best. he got rinsed at the back end of last season against brighton, taken out by a simple little chop again! similar to the rashford chance.

we are bang in trouble if we are relying on dier to actually defend with competence for us. hes fine as a squad player that can play the lesser games etc, but against proper sides hes a weak link.

he’s a bit of a coward on the pitch, doesn’t want to come across as making mistakes so never engages in any defensive actions. Even as a covering defender you need to make challenges and you should be in a good position to do so as the spare man(at least close down the angles for passes/shots. Obviously doesn’t take criticism well with some of his interviews in the past. Not sure why the fan base look at him as a leader/good character(footballing wise) tbh.

Him and Davies are one of the reasons we end up falling so deep, as they’re terrified in getting done for pace on the turn. I don’t believe Conte wants us to be as passive as that.

he’s a bit of a coward on the pitch, doesn’t want to come across as making mistakes so never engages in any defensive actions. Even as a covering defender you need to make challenges and you should be in a good position to do so as the spare man(at least close down the angles for passes/shots. Obviously doesn’t take criticism well with some of his interviews in the past. Not sure why the fan base look at him as a leader/good character(footballing wise) tbh.

Him and Davies are one of the reasons we end up falling so deep, as they’re terrified in getting done for pace on the turn. I don’t believe Conte wants us to be as passive as that.
Of course Conte wants us to play that deep/passive.
That's why it happens every single game whether Dier is on the pitch or not.

If you have your CMs as deep as ours they should, in theory, stop any through balls to attackers as the defence is so packed.

The downside is that it means that our CMs can't pressure their CMs which allows them to pick passes, and more importantly, take shots from distance with ease.
Hence us conceding so many shots.
Conte is happy for that to happen as he wants us to play on the break against top teams.

He has never improved, yet he's back in the England squad on the cusp of a major tournament, is one of the first names on the team sheet and has barely missed a match in 2 years.

Same idiots have had metaphorical knives primed with his name all fucking over them just waiting to pile on again.

He has never improved, yet he's back in the England squad on the cusp of a major tournament, is one of the first names on the team sheet and has barely missed a match in 2 years.

Same idiots have had metaphorical knives primed with his name all fucking over them just waiting to pile on again.
Did this jabroni just mention Dier being in the England squad as a sign of improvement?

Has Harry Maguires form regressed in that same period? oh ok it's just that he's, you know... still in the England squad as well.

"first name on team sheet"
yes maybe that's because he plays in literally the only position that we don't have cover in. Literally the only one.

I mean such unbelievably bad points it's laughable.

let's deal with facts. Last season he had a 60% tackle success rate for an all time low 15 tackles. This season he has made 7 tackles....and his success rate is now 57%.

He is an awful tackler for a centre back and this is an absolute fact.

Last edited:
His highlight reel at Spurs will forever be squaring up to a Spurs fan. More useless than Winks. And he puts in half of a performance and suddenly he’s the golden boy again. No, sorry, he’s always been a terrible player.

Take him to the world cup and watch us go out in the group

Good partner for Slabhead

In all his time here he's had one decent half season as a dm (thanks to dembele) and a half decent season last year. Time after time he's not good enough. He just continuously back tracks doesn't engage with attackers has no positional awareness the list is long. He's been what you expect of a bargain £3.5m signing he's never been a top level player and never will be.

Very similar to Sanchez in that they are both guilty of ball watching

Back
Top Bottom