Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My favourite player since the game at the Bridge last season. Unfussy, no nonsense but with real talent. I'm not old enough to have watched Dave Mackay in the flesh, but I think Eric is beginning to fill the big man's boots. No surprise people are talking of him as a future England skipper.

I'm cool with slowly lettiing Dier take over Dembele's spot as Dembele approaches the wrong side of 30.
Hes not the same type of player but I would be totally against getting rid of either Wanyama or Dier from our central midfield area. We have to be able to make it work somehow! Got at least a year or two (3-4 or more?) left in Dembele's legs to figure it out.

His goal today was an absolute hammer! Fucking beautiful to watch!!!

I'm cool with slowly lettiing Dier take over Dembele's spot as Dembele approaches the wrong side of 30.
Hes not the same type of player but I would be totally against getting rid of either Wanyama or Dier from our central midfield area. We have to be able to make it work somehow! Got at least a year or two (3-4 or more?) left in Dembele's legs to figure it out.

His goal today was an absolute hammer! Fucking beautiful to watch!!!
Don't think he's suited to the Dembele role

I think he's a direct swap for Wanyama currently.

That makes it difficult, as I can't pick between them in our best side.

It's a tough call as they are both great players in amazing form.....
but for me dier keeps his place for the next games regardless if wanyama is fit or not, after his last couple of games he has deserved it.......

It is going to be difficult to assess what we should do in the coming years. I share some of your opinions that neither Dier nor Wanyama are particularly suited for the Dembele role. I see Dier and Wanyama as being too defensive to be paired together. Yet, they are both great players and almost certainly need to be on the pitch at all times. Both of their best positions is at defensive mid, so it will be tricky figuring out an optimal situation.

Agree Dembele and Dier are different types of players but Wanyama/Dier partnership might work. Dier is very adaptable and ever improving. I think he can develop into a Carrick type player but with better goal return (he is a bigger threat in setpiece). Wanyama alongside him can continue to play the all-action“Kante” role.

Thing is. We've never seen Dier/Wanyama together with the 3 at the back. It absolutely can work. Chelsea have walked the league with a central midfield of Matic/Kante ffs.

Its different in a 4-2-3-1 which saw them two partner each other in Dembele absense earlier in the season and it wasn't the best but in a 3 at the back it can do wonders.

He's an excellent central midfielder. That's 2 goals in his last 3 games and he's been a central midfielder within that time. No coincidence.

Very important to our overall play when he starts there. Keeps things ticking, comfortable with both feet and his range of passing is incredible.

Exactly why the team should be built around him in midfield, not in defence to accomodate Wanyama.

It should be Wanyama in defence if Pocchettino is determined to start both, as he's more limited with his passing and seems to stifle Dembele somewhat.

If I was Dier I'd have a word with the boss and tell him that he sees himself as a midfielder, here or elsewhere. Franco Baresi found himself in a similar position with the Italy national team, being played in midfield to accomodate Scirea as sweeper, then refused to compromise and opted to sit out instead. Great players have to play in their best positions, and Dier can become the best in Europe in his role.

Being versatile only benefits limited footballers like Milner, Phil Neville and John O'Shea; Dier is too good to be a utility player.

Exactly why the team should be built around him in midfield, not in defence to accomodate Wanyama.

It should be Wanyama in defence if Pocchettino is determined to start both, as he's more limited with his passing and seems to stifle Dembele somewhat.

If I was Dier I'd have a word with the boss and tell him that he sees himself as a midfielder, here or elsewhere. Franco Baresi found himself in a similar position with the Italy national team, being played in midfield to accomodate Scirea as sweeper, then refused to compromise and opted to sit out instead. Great players have to play in their best positions, and Dier can become the best in Europe in his role.

Being versatile only benefits limited footballers like Milner, Phil Neville and John O'Shea; Dier is too good to be a utility player.
We are not building a team around a single player

Cant see Wanyama and Dier together in DM. Neither of them have the dribbling and ball retention skills of Dembele. Winksy has to be Dembele's understudy. He has been super impressive coming off the bench. Big future ahead of that lad.

Victor is a more capable destroyer but Eric has more finesse and is much better at picking a creative forward pass, however I rekon Wanyama would make a very decent CB and the one time he played there he was superb.

Perhaps mixing and matching depending on the opposition?

Well, I agree with you on that point, but, we have a serious conundrum with them occupying each others favored role. Do you think that with 2-3 years of development, they could both improve their skillsets to be able to work together in central midfield?

I am hopeful that it can be done or else we might have to make some very difficult choices.

For me I'm always far more optimistic and excited to see Dier starting in midfield. Partly because I think he is a lot more suited to that role and his skills are better utilised, and also because it means our defence is at full-strength and we're going to be incredibly hard to score against.

Obviously it's a bit tricky with our team at the mo to work who to play where, but it's not like we're going to keep the exact same squad for five years.

You can count my name among those that want to see Wanyama join Jan and Toby in the center three, with Dier in front. I agree that Wanyama is naturally the more defensive player. He's a physical freak of nature and has quite an engine too, but Dier has a bit more class and vision going forward. He's a very ambitious passer that recycles the ball extremely well to feed attacking movements.

Basically I've been calling all season long for Dier to be handed another shot in midfield, and now that he's got it he has impressed again. He's a much better midfielder than he is a defender.

You can count my name among those that want to see Wanyama join Jan and Toby in the center three, with Dier in front. I agree that Wanyama is naturally the more defensive player. He's a physical freak of nature and has quite an engine too, but Dier has a bit more class and vision going forward. He's a very ambitious passer that recycles the ball extremely well to feed attacking movements.

Basically I've been calling all season long for Dier to be handed another shot in midfield, and now that he's got it he has impressed again. He's a much better midfielder than he is a defender.
Jan/Toby/Dier with Wanyama/Dembele or Eriksen ahead of them has been perfect over these last 5 games. I believe the expression "if it aint broke, don't fix it" originated in your part of the world...

Back
Top Bottom