Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know what the answer is, but I think we play some really great football with Dier spraying passes around and arriving late into box to hit hammer-strikes. he's also plenty good taking set-pieces as evidenced by his displays for england! it'd be a damn shame if we can't figure out a way to get him more involved offensively.

on the other hand, i don't think theres anything shameful about playing incredible defense, and toby and verts are surely invaluable to our cause. don't think dier should feel any loss of pride about being part of the best defense in the league!

def want more dier hammer strikes though!

Record with Eric Dier in central midfield in the league this season:

Played: 9
Wins: 7
Draws: 2
Losses: 0

Scored: 23
Conceded: 3

Those two draws coming within the opening 3 games when we had Dier/Wanyama in central midfield, also conceding 2 of those 3 goals too.

Record with Eric Dier in central midfield in the league this season:

Played: 9
Wins: 7
Draws: 2
Losses: 0

Scored: 23
Conceded: 3

Those two draws coming within the opening 3 games when we had Dier/Wanyama in central midfield, also conceding 2 of those 3 goals too.
He plays such an incredible role in this team. When he plays in midfield he's as important to this team as Eriksen on form.

Cant help but feel vindicated by his performances since returning to his midfield role; he's a fucking animal and the team improves 10% with him in there.

Wanyama is very good, but Dier is far more comprehensive in his attributes; he also brings out the best in Dembele too.

Tony Adams has been letting his chin move again...

Tony Adams has claimed that he told Woolwich to sign Eric Dier in 2012, only for the club to pass on the current Tottenham and England midfielder.

“I recommended Eric Dier to Woolwich,” he told The Times. “I did the England U19s with Noel Blake in 2012, and phoned [Woolwich scout] Steve Rowley and said, ‘Dier’s head and shoulders above any English player in this camp. Do it now. €5m (£4.3m)'.

"I knew the get-out clause at Sporting. Steve said that Woolwich’s Portuguese scout said he was a bit one-paced. So Woolwich didn’t. They did get Calum Chambers for £17m - no disrespect to Calum.

"Spurs got Dier, pushed him into midfield, maybe he hasn’t got the aggression, but in the modern game now, you don’t need to be aggressive so he’ll probably end up the perfect central defender."

Tony Adams has been letting his chin move again...

Tony Adams has claimed that he told Woolwich to sign Eric Dier in 2012, only for the club to pass on the current Tottenham and England midfielder.

“I recommended Eric Dier to Woolwich,” he told The Times. “I did the England U19s with Noel Blake in 2012, and phoned [Woolwich scout] Steve Rowley and said, ‘Dier’s head and shoulders above any English player in this camp. Do it now. €5m (£4.3m)'.

"I knew the get-out clause at Sporting. Steve said that Woolwich’s Portuguese scout said he was a bit one-paced. So Woolwich didn’t. They did get Calum Chambers for £17m - no disrespect to Calum.

"Spurs got Dier, pushed him into midfield, maybe he hasn’t got the aggression, but in the modern game now, you don’t need to be aggressive so he’ll probably end up the perfect central defender."

He's the scum version of Sherwood

Cant help but feel vindicated by his performances since returning to his midfield role; he's a fucking animal and the team improves 10% with him in there.

Wanyama is very good, but Dier is far more comprehensive in his attributes; he also brings out the best in Dembele too.
I think you're an asshole, but correct on this matter.

[Scotland v England's 2018 World Cup qualifier: How the players rated

BBC pick him out as the worst player on the pitch for Scotland vs England. Didn't see the match but hate to see our lads given a hard time as the national team is always in disarray. Did he stand out as particularly poor ?

Edit Sorry Rashford also given a 4/10 rating.

He was very poor unfortunately. Very very slow in possession, mistimed tackles all over the place though having Livermore next to you probably doesn't install confidence - Dier is best when he has someone next to him who can carry the ball forward, him and Livermore were too far apart at times and rarely ventured forward.

Did come close to scoring a free kick at the end though which eventually lead to Kane's equaliser.

To be fair, I think the tweet itself is right.

That's not a dig at Dier, it's a praise of how well Pochettino has our team drilled. Our system and team make a lot of players better, hides their weaknesses and elevates their strengths. I think that's the same with Dier. There's a reason why many of these players we have either don't get in their national teams or play as well for their national teams.

Saying that, I love Dier and am happy with his versatility within our squad.

Back
Top Bottom