Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think people who question Dier, question his long balls or his ability to strike a cross. He has a nice peg on him when given the time. Since his first full season here, he hasn’t progressed as a fluid CM for me and when under pressure he folds. He is a great squad player but someone I think has reached his crest in terms of CM prowess.

I don’t think people who question Dier, question his long balls or his ability to strike a cross. He has a nice peg on him when given the time. Since his first full season here, he hasn’t progressed as a fluid CM for me and when under pressure he folds. He is a great squad player but someone I think has reached his crest in terms of CM prowess.

For me a DM needs positional discipline, to be robust and to recycle the ball well. Passing range? All the better.

I take your point about pressure leading to the occasional error, but more specifically, what does being a "fluid CM" entail?

I think he needs someone next to him who can do all of that.

Which is why Dembele and him was such a good partnership. Dembele would be the one to receive the ball from the defence with two men on him and turn them both and move forward. In that respect, Dier gets 'exposed' a bit when partnered next to someone else as Dier is the one who the defence then passes too under pressure and as you say, it's not his game.

I think he needs someone next to him who can do all of that.

Which is why Dembele and him was such a good partnership. Dembele would be the one to receive the ball from the defence with two men on him and turn them both and move forward. In that respect, Dier gets 'exposed' a bit when partnered next to someone else as Dier is the one who the defence then passes too under pressure and as you say, it's not his game.

I honestly think his midfielder footballing ability has regressed since his first season in the midfield with Dembele.

If we can get a CM in like Diawara I believe people will be like “why put Dier there again.”

For me a DM needs positional discipline, to be robust and to recycle the ball well. Passing range? All the better.

I take your point about pressure leading to the occasional error, but more specifically, what does being a "fluid CM" entail?

Fluid CM meaning someone that is comfortable with the ball at his feet. I think a modern DM needs to be in the Fernandinho mold. We had a bit of that in Sandro and Wanyama (both more brute force than skill), but Dier falls well short in that arena for me

For me if we are going to stand any chance of progressing to the league cup final, we are going to need our most experienced players back in the centre of midfield. If we go into the game with Winks and Skipps as our midfield then we will unfortunately go out. We have to get Dier and hopefully Sissoko fit for next week.

For me if we are going to stand any chance of progressing to the league cup final, we are going to need our most experienced players back in the centre of midfield. If we go into the game with Winks and Skipps as our midfield then we will unfortunately go out. We have to get Dier and hopefully Sissoko fit for next week.

Yep.
Seems a polorising player, you either rate him highly or think he’s a liability.

I’m the former. Can’t wait to get Eric back in the team

Don’t really get this logic. We’ve been playing really well with Winks, despite him not being perfect, he’s learning ever game and we’ve already beaten Chelsea in the semi first leg with Winks and without Dier. Whereas we lost our last two semi finals (one against Chelsea and of them to an inferior ManU) with Dier.

Even some of our more pragmatic counter attacking performances like Real Madrid last year had Winks not Dier in midfield.

I’d happily see us upgrade Winks for a real dynamic, tenacious 6 who can also play football (a Fernandinho type). But Dier’s not that.

Don’t really get this logic. We’ve been playing really well with Winks, despite him not being perfect, he’s learning ever game and we’ve already beaten Chelsea in the semi first leg with Winks and without Dier. Whereas we lost our last two semi finals (one against Chelsea and of them to an inferior ManU) with Dier.

Even some of our more pragmatic counter attacking performances like Real Madrid last year had Winks not Dier in midfield.

I’d happily see us upgrade Winks for a real dynamic, tenacious 6 who can also play football (a Fernandinho type). But Dier’s not that.

Not saying Dier is the messiah, but you are honestly telling me you would choose Winks and Skipps in our most important game of the season? They are rookies mate and we are trusting them both to control the game in the middle. Ok Winks is more experienced, but he’s still relatively young and raw. We need to buy this window no doubt, but in the meantime Dier must play against Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom