Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree Dier looked inferior to Dembele and Winks last night.
He seems to really look good when playing at defensive mid for England though.
What is the difference in the way they are using him as opposed to how we are using him?
I feel like somehow our setup is causing him to play in a more subdued and ineffective manner.
I think international football is a pile of wank, and I very rarely watch it.

That's it? Nothing we could adjust to better bring out his strengths/mitigate his weaknesses?
He should concentrate on being a CB. I think he is living in cloud cuckoo land.

That's it? Nothing we could adjust to better bring out his strengths/mitigate his weaknesses?

Play Winks and Dele next to him if we were to replicate what England done against Spain when Dier looked relatively solid. I don't really see him drop into a back three anymore like he did in his first season.

I agree Dier looked inferior to Dembele and Winks last night.
He seems to really look good when playing at defensive mid for England though.
What is the difference in the way they are using him as opposed to how we are using him?
I feel like somehow our setup is causing him to play in a more subdued and ineffective manner.
Difference in the quality of opposition also plays a part. With England he doesnt get to play against very good teams. The 3 times we played against good teams...we lost. Even against spain, our midfield was destroyed by spain over and over again , luckily Kane and the other front 2 had an exceptional match.

Play Winks and Dele next to him if we were to replicate what England done against Spain when Dier looked relatively solid. I don't really see him drop into a back three anymore like he did in his first season.
England didnt manage to get the ball off spain. Our players barely touched the ball. We did end up conceding twice but goals scored were nothing to do with midfield, just Kane, Sterling an Rashford.

England didnt manage to get the ball off spain. Our players barely touched the ball. We did end up conceding twice but goals scored were nothing to do with midfield, just Kane, Sterling an Rashford.

Why does that matter if we beat them?

Why does that matter if we beat them?
It does. Because Kane isnt always in that great form all the time. Yesterday nothing he did came off.We won despite conceding 2 goals against spain. Spain had 24 shots to Englands 5. Just because Kane, Rashford and Sterling were brilliant doesnt mean the midfield were any good. Spain bossed it in the middle , their midfield had like 100 passes each , Englands midfield were just running around without the ball.

Yesterday if we had Sterling and Mahrez instead of Lucas and Lamela, wed win the game. That was the difference.

We did not get spanked score wise. That is true.
But it was the only aspect.

Shots 13:4
On target 6:1

And well, there is this unquantifiable side to it. If you watched the game, we were just... so poor. And sorry, Dier was the poorest on the field. Dembele was constantly in the mix of things, hassling the oppo players over the ball. Few times went in from the back and took the ball. At times just pushed oppo player off the ball. Sissoko made some good runs and contributed in our attacking play. While Dier literally did not win ball back for us, not even once I can recall.

You told smth about putting ourselves to City players shoes in the face of Silva (who was rightly BBC man of the match), Mahrez (scorer of the goal) and Sterling (assister, should have had 2nd goal as well in all honesty) -> I would not say they had the worst of games.

It would be ofc superb, if someone was to put together compilation of those 3 in action yesterday. It would make a terrible reading for Dier in comparsion, I believe.

That sentence is pure drugs! :pritchardeyes:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14572-1428881602-23.gif

Back
Top Bottom