Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn’t think the goal was that poorly defended by Royal or VdV. They both stifled Neto, he had nothing until Bissouma stood around the top of the box 10 yards from any player Wolves or Spurs. Had he simply tracked the only runner around for a fortnight, Neto would have just had to kick it off Royal for a possible corner or lose possession.

Royal was a footballing atrocity today but the goal was not one I really put any blame on him.
Man, as a former defender, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Emerson made a right mess of that one. He starts sprinting too late for a start, but mainly, you have to know Neto is gonna cut back inside...even if just to try & get a silly pen. It's your job, your duty to make sure he doesn't get himself in that position to pass it to an onrushing teammate. You have to get real tight to him, make your presence known, you gotta be in charge...but it's Neto who's in full control of the situation from start to finish. By the time he does cut back inside, it's too late for Sarr & co to try and clean up Royal's mess

Then obviously Biss is lazy & clueless, but should never have come to that.

It's basic defending 101. I love Emerson's attitude & personality, but the kid has such a low football IQ, it's killing us when the going get tough.

Interesting stat

Royal started:

Brentford away - drew
Wolves away - lost
Villa home - lost
City away - drew
Wolves home - lost

I can't see a league game where Royal has started the game that we've won?
I think Davies also started in all those bare Brentford away.

Man, as a former defender, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Emerson made a right mess of that one. He starts sprinting too late for a start, but mainly, you have to know Neto is gonna cut back inside...even if just to try & get a silly pen. It's your job, your duty to make sure he doesn't get himself in that position to pass it to an onrushing teammate. You have to get real tight to him, make your presence known, you gotta be in charge...but it's Neto who's in full control of the situation from start to finish. By the time he does cut back inside, it's too late for Sarr & co to try and clean up Royal's mess

It's basic defending 101. I love Emerson's attitude & personality, but the kid has such a low football IQ, it's killing us when the going get tough.
I think we can nit pick every goal to this extent, though.

I termed it a satisfactory job, not perfect. Bissouma is the one who put him in a position to have to defend on his weak side and didn’t even track the eventual scorer. And if we want to nit pick, VdV is in a prom pose with Emerson, Sarr is simply marking purified air.

There are about 20 other passages of play where Emerson was a trainwreck in this game so I’m willing to give him a little bit of leeway on this when there were worse offenders.

Agreed. He needs to sprint to him and try force him
wider which will give the rest the time to get into position and be aware what’s around them. He isn’t at full pelt which is criminal because he lets Neto get to the box and then you’re in trouble because you can’t touch him. He then allows Neto back inside on to his good foot and the game is open for Neto then. Worse case scenario is keep Neto on his right foot and if he gets a cross in then it’s from the byline and easier to defend. Ludicrous and just downright lazy defending. That’s what cost us the game on Saturday when at that point we are in the ascendancy. It’s such fine lines in football.

Interesting stat

Royal started:

Brentford away - drew
Wolves away - lost
Villa home - lost
City away - drew
Wolves home - lost

I can't see a league game where Royal has started the game that we've won?
I think Davies also started in all those bare Brentford away.

2-2 draw
0-1 loss
3-2 win
2-2 draw
2-1 win

Last 5 games previous that didn't feature Davies and royal.
Inconsistent form is just inconsistent. Not down to 1 player .

Insinuating circumstance of the games royal played in you mentioned also being that apart from the draw away at Brentford in was a very make shift spurs 11 so results obviously take a knock

I termed it a satisfactory job, not perfect. Bissouma is the one who put him in a position to have to defend on his weak side and didn’t even track the eventual scorer. And if we want to nit pick, VdV is in a prom pose with Emerson, Sarr is simply marking purified air.

There are about 20 other passages of play where Emerson was a trainwreck in this game so I’m willing to give him a little bit of leeway on this when there were worse offenders.
Biss does track the run and is back on the edge of the box before Gomez but has no clue what’s around him and we get punished. He’s not lazy in getting back but he’s lazy in being aware of the danger.

VDV is 100% in the correct position he has to be nearest to the front post. The only person that can score in that position because of VDV position is Gomez. Where do you want VDV to be there???

2-2 draw
0-1 loss
3-2 win
2-2 draw
2-1 win

Last 5 games previous that didn't feature Davies and royal.
Inconsistent form is just inconsistent. Not down to 1 player .

Insinuating circumstance of the games royal played in you mentioned also being that apart from the draw away at Brentford in was a very make shift spurs 11 so results obviously take a knock
It's more the fact there's not a single win when he has played that is concerning.
Not 1.

Biss does track the run and is back on the edge of the box before Gomez but has no clue what’s around him and we get punished. He’s not lazy in getting back but he’s lazy in being aware of the danger.
I didn’t say he was lazy. I actually said in a previous post, he does the hardest part by busting a lung to get back. And then didn’t pay attention at all which is a much more egregious error than Emerson maybe getting tighter while playing his off side against one of the league’s best wingers.
VDV is 100% in the correct position he has to be nearest to the front post. The only person that can score in that position because of VDV position is Gomez. Where do you want VDV to be there???
I think he did fine, as I said in my original post. I’m also saying Emerson didn’t do that much wrong. He was a disaster for most of the game, but I think trying to pin this goal on him is just picking on an easy target.

Bissouma is the reason the goal happened. He failed to trap a fairly easy ball to control after a corner and failed to mark his own runner.

I didn’t say he was lazy. I actually said in a previous post, he does the hardest part by busting a lung to get back. And then didn’t pay attention at all which is a much more egregious error than Emerson maybe getting tighter while playing his off side against one of the league’s best wingers.

I think he did fine, as I said in my original post. I’m also saying Emerson didn’t do that much wrong. He was a disaster for most of the game, but I think trying to pin this goal on him is just picking on an easy target.

Bissouma is the reason the goal happened. He failed to trap a fairly easy ball to control after a corner and failed to mark his own runner.
I agree with Bissouma being a big part of the goal but Royal does everything a defender shouldn’t do there. He actually starts to sprint at the edge of the box rather than sprint to him earlier and force him away from the box. To then let him come back inside is horrendous.
If Biss just passes it to Sonny first time when it falls to him on the edge of the box then we have a chance to score. 10 seconds later we are down 2-1. Decision making from Biss and Royal is just poor.

I’m not picking on an easy target,he is massively to blame for the goal. There’s no other way to put it.

Playing inverted fullbacks is ridiculously complicated for an orthodox fullback. Ange even admitted how difficult it had been for Porro. Hence Royal starting the first time away at Brentford. Your asking in Emerson an inherently defensive player to become an attacking midfield player. Its easy to bash an understudy in his third positional change of the season filling Levy's holes, but this is on two people...the afforestation mentioned Levy and Ange Postecoglou.

Last edited:
I'll defend him for his character, work ethic, and versatility. But he is absolutely a weak link in our current system at FB. He's just not technically good enough. I'd probably rather a midfielder like Sarr play there instead. I mean they basically play as an 8 anyways. Need more ability to turn both ways and play in tight spaces than Royal offers.

Ok so it's fine we conceded a goal because he didn't defend well at all, but we'll give him grief for those times he lost the ball 80 yards from our goal.

Gotcha!

Playing inverted fullbacks is ridiculously complicated for an orthodox fullback. Ange even admitted how difficult it had been for Porro. Hence Royal starting thd first time away at Brentford. Your asking in Emerson an inherently defensive player to become an attacking midfield player. Its easy to bash an understudy in his third positional change of the season filling Levy's holes, but this is on two people...the afforestation mentioned Levy and Ange Postecoglou.
You are right. It’s unfair to be over critical but defending is his job and he never done that well for the goal. He’s not a good enough player to play inverted full back so the blame for that must go on to the manager. I’d rather see a midfielder play that role who can defend and be comfortable on the ball rather than Royal who has no awareness in tight spaces with their back to goal or on the half turn where inverted full backs will find themselves a lot of the time.

I'll defend him for his character, work ethic, and versatility. But he is absolutely a weak link in our current system at FB. He's just not technically good enough. I'd probably rather a midfielder like Sarr play there instead. I mean they basically play as an 8 anyways. Need more ability to turn both ways and play in tight spaces than Royal offers.
Bentancur could play that role no problem.

Back
Top Bottom