Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have only seen it once but it looks as if he’s (almost) jogging on the second goal, waiting to see who’s covering the middle before he gets into a sprint. If he sprints from the get go, I think he’s favorite for that ball or at least gets there in time to hold up the player (Neto?).

Poor defending all around between him and BdV on the goal. Goals aside, Micky was good today.

Brutal first touch (today) just compounds his performance.

Have only seen it once but it looks as if he’s (almost) jogging on the second goal, waiting to see who’s covering the middle before he gets into a sprint. If he sprints from the get go, I think he’s favorite for that ball or at least gets there in time to hold up the player (Neto?).

Poor defending all around between him and BdV on the goal. Goals aside, Micky was good today.

Brutal first touch (today) just compounds his performance.
I didn’t think the goal was that poorly defended by Royal or VdV. They both stifled Neto, he had nothing until Bissouma stood around the top of the box 10 yards from any player Wolves or Spurs. Had he simply tracked the only runner around for a fortnight, Neto would have just had to kick it off Royal for a possible corner or lose possession.

Royal was a footballing atrocity today but the goal was not one I really put any blame on him.

I didn’t think the goal was that poorly defended by Royal or VdV. They both stifled Neto, he had nothing until Bissouma stood around the top of the box 10 yards from any player Wolves or Spurs. Had he simply tracked the only runner around for a fortnight, Neto would have just had to kick it off Royal for a possible corner or lose possession.

Royal was a footballing atrocity today but the goal was not one I really put any blame on him.
I’ll take back what I said about VdV after rewatching it but Emerson starts five yards or more in front of Neto vertically when Neto is twenty yards or more inside his own half. He doesn’t run full tilt until Neto has made up all that ground — maybe more — and doesn’t get into a position to tackle or hold him up until Neto is inside our box and in a dangerous position close to the six yard line. He never gets a good position on Neto who turns him easily inside the box . I think he might have initially been in two minds as to whether to chase Neto down or cover the middle but he’s the last line of defense and gives Neto way too much time and space. Compare that to Micky who makes up 10 yards on both of them.

Last edited:
He puts in a shift and is clearly earnest and a team player, but he's just the latest addition to the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Brazilians Without Tekkers and cannot fit the way Ange wants to play.

He puts in a shift and is clearly earnest and a team player, but he's just the latest addition to the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Brazilians Without Tekkers and cannot fit the way Ange wants to play.
Why did Ange play him? It was a lazy and predictable selection and outcome

Football strangler - adds a handicap of -1 goals

Blokes a fucking dickhead as well as a basic, basic footballer. Get out, F off - never want see you again. Even in training clips or on the bench. Back to Brazil on 3 months notice until the window opens - your agent gets a week to find a new club

Emerson's stats

81 passes at 92.6% success.
4 tackles; 3 interceptions, 1 clearance, 1 block;
1 shot on target.
And an overall rating of 7.2

Compare that to Porro's recent games.

Clearly Emerson is nowhere near as damaging with the ball as Porro but that's not the game Ange asks of him (because of the differences ) but he gets it way more, recycles it way more and doesn't give it away nearly as much.

There's a significant portion of the Spurs fan base who are bizarrely and incorrectly damning of our second choice RB - against all statistics and, indeed, the words of the manager himself. This is fed by so called podcasters who are, lets face it, complete fucking idiots when it comes to football.

Emerson's stats

81 passes at 92.6% success.
4 tackles; 3 interceptions, 1 clearance, 1 block;
1 shot on target.
And an overall rating of 7.2

Compare that to Porro's recent games.

Clearly Emerson is nowhere near as damaging with the ball as Porro but that's not the game Ange asks of him (because of the differences ) but he gets it way more, recycles it way more and doesn't give it away nearly as much.

There's a significant portion of the Spurs fan base who are bizarrely and incorrectly damning of our second choice RB - against all statistics and, indeed, the words of the manager himself. This is fed by so called podcasters who are, lets face it, complete fucking idiots when it comes to football.
Those stats merely highlight why stats are secondary in football. He slowed us down, offered nothing progressive and stunk the place out. A fullback from a bygone era. No ability with the ball

The only Brazilian thing about him is he’s a cunt

Those stats merely highlight why stats are secondary in football. He slowed us down, offered nothing progressive and stunk the place out. A fullback from a bygone era. No ability with the ball

The only Brazilian thing about him is he’s a cunt
Your post merely shows the complete petulant irrationality of the section of Spurs fans I referred to. 🤷‍♂️

Stats my arse. They can be utterly misleading.
The guy is a bang average, steady enough defensive RB. Yes, he's wholehearted, has a great attitude and is certainly a trier.
However, he's technically deficient and largely clueless beyond the halfway line.
He's very ill-suited to the Ange system.
Squad player at best but we should be looking for much better Porro cover.

The guy is a bang average, steady enough defensive RB. Yes, he's wholehearted, has a great attitude and is certainly a trier.
However, he's technically deficient and largely clueless beyond the halfway line.
PEH would be a better RB in this system, ditto Romero, Bentacur, Johnson and others.

Don’t need to look far to upgrade this football molester

Should have taken the yellow outside the box, never ceases to amaze how many times defenders back of until attacker is in the box by which point they are terrified about conceding a penalty. Saying that Bissouma was at fault twice for the winner yesterday

KWP please- we need attacking FBs so badly for this system.

Back
Top Bottom