Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How was Onmah last night? I was working. Was he falling over all the time as usual?
I don't think he is physically ready for top flight football as he's like Bambi.
Hopefully next season, he will have filled out a bit and become more Pogba less Bambi.
McClaren just been sacked.
Couldn't disagree with an assessment of a player more than this. His physical strength is one of his biggest assets.

Maybe i just buy any old shit i'm told. but i really don't think we tried to throw it last night, i truly believe we didn't buy much in the last two windows because there wasn't anyone our manager wanted to buy (in the positions that needed filling) and i really think we fielded a team last night that we thought had a chance of getting a good away result (like 2-1, 1-0, whatever). I think Onomah looks like a prospect, i think that Mason isnt very good, that the only real criticism we can level is that MAYBE Poch\whoever should have bought some decent filler for DM and striker in January.

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?

Dear Daniel,

Classy post and a classy club from what we've seen. It's a shame this tie wasn't later in the competition, ideally a final. I hope your fans don't feel disrespected by our team line-up, obviously some of ours do due to the bad defeat and that many paid a lot to travel. I do not like to lose and wanted to win the trophy but, our league position hasn't been this high so late in the season for over 30years. We have a realistic chance of doing something amazing and unexpected so it seems that is the priority. Personally I can definitely see why but, we need to make sure we do ourselves proud now.

Enjoy the second leg and most likely the next round too! Good luck catching Bayern, you never know.

the only real criticism we can level is that MAYBE Poch\whoever should have bought some decent filler for DM and striker in January.

We sensed the league opportunity back in January, the fact it is now so real but we may run out of legs and options, leaving us short of just a tiny bit of extra quality that could lift the Premier League title will mean this was a huge mistake.

It's all very well saying it would be hindsight but not really, we've needed another striker for much longer and Dier has been run into the ground to date.

However, win the next two league games and we are still very much in business. They are absolutely win or bust matches and will ensure we stay at least second with only a few games to go. Given the damage of the past 2wks could've been far worse means these games are f'ing HUGE!

I was infuriated when i saw the team selection. why the f*ck did poche play full strength squads earlier in the competition vs monaco and fiorentina only to play our reserves in what could of been a showcase for spurs... if your gonna throw in the towel vs dortmund why tire the first team earlier in the season when we had games 3 days later? wtf
Two completely different situations

Agreed as a club we always fail to strengthen. Last night was an example of our weak transfer policy in action, soon as Kane and Dier are rested we are fucked.

As a team our B team players should be looking to use the cups as a way to get in the first team for Prem games. Kane did it after all using the EL to start his career.

If fatigue is a problem then we have to rest, next season hopefully we will have bought a new Dier and a new Kane so we can fight on more front than just the league.

Most of us knew at the start of the season when the Berahino deal fell through and we didn't get another DM etc we where always going to be open to this kind of problem.

For me Mason, Carroll and so on are ok players, but they are not Champions League level and last night we faced a Champions League level team. On that basis it is for Levy to provide Poch with the players next season that can take us forward so we can rotate without shitting ourselves.
Mason and Carroll are both very decent, and I don't mind them as back-ups to the likes of Dembele/Alli. We just can't play a midfield of the two, it completely undermines Pochettino's tactics. We need a player that's able to drop in between the cbs, neither of Carroll or Mason are capable of that

Couldn't disagree with an assessment of a player more than this. His physical strength is one of his biggest assets.
So, he's the finished product then? Give me strength.
He'll be a completely different player in two years time.

I sympathise with fans who went out there and paid that money only to see a reserve team. I remember going to Donetsk and was very surprised to see us doing the same there because it wasn't really the done thing back then. But I still had an amazing trip and no regrets whatsoever. I imagine the same is true for people who went last night. Also, nowadays I think you always know there is a chance of this happening in the EL.

So, he's the finished product then? Give me strength.
He'll be a completely different player in two years time.
He is far from a finished product, where did I say that? He is just 18yrs old FFS! We have some great young talents, Onomah, Winks, Ball, Carter-Vickers, Bentaleb, Walker-Peters and others. I'd argue that the reason why Onomah gets minutes and Winks has not is nothing to do with ability (both are very capable footballers) but has everything to do with his physicality. But rather than take my word for it why don't you google Onomah's name and read about him, see what other people are saying about him and you will quickly see that your assesmnet puts you on your own.

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?
To echo what others have said, thank you for taking the time to post.
Classy post, classy fans, classy club & a very classy team. Losing hurts & the manner of it more so, but hopefully we can give you a scare or two in the return game at the Lane.

Good luck for the rest of the season-apart from next Thursday of course!

He is far from a finished product, where did I say that? He is just 18yrs old FFS! We have some great young talents, Onomah, Winks, Ball, Carter-Vickers, Bentaleb, Walker-Peters and others. I'd argue that the reason why Onomah gets minutes and Winks has not is nothing to do with ability (both are very capable footballers) but has everything to do with his physicality. But rather than take my word for it why don't you google Onomah's name and read about him, see what other people are saying about him and you will quickly see that your assesmnet puts you on your own.
Agree with you about physicality. After Harry Kane, I'm never going to write off any of our young players. I never thought Kane would make it even as a squad or back-up player, I thought Millwall was his level!

Was delighted with the team selection. Forum/social media moaners... How many times does the Europa have to fuck up our season before you learn?
Goldfish mentality.

Poch done great not to get caught up in the glamour of the opponent/ground etc.

Best chance we have of winning the league since forever basically, why risk it on the season destroying Europa which in itself is a joke.

And yes we do need a full strength team against every premier league opposition including fuckin villa.

Agree with you about physicality. After Harry Kane, I'm never going to write off any of our young players. I never thought Kane would make it even as a squad or back-up player, I thought Millwall was his level!
Kane still surprises me to this very day. He is unique, when you see him run (with or without the ball) he looks weird, I can't think of another word to describe him. He doesn't flow or glide but every game you will see him bring a ball under control beautifully, he takes on players and goes past them, takes a ball on the half turn, plays one touch to those around him. If there is ever an example of a player to remind us that we have to be patient when introducing other young players into a squad it is him.

Back
Top Bottom