Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This forum is just a shambles at times
It's unreal ... after the post-Bale Baldini/AVB clusterfuck, in one season Poch has built a team that can challenge for the title for the first time in 20 years. But 2 weeks after Swansea and Watford said we were the best team they have played this season what you get instead is:
Our young and developing squad can't conquer Europe ... Disgrace!
Our still limited squad struggles with 3 games a week ... Disaster!

On the game, I for one cannot understand the selection. I'm not often critical of Poch but he threw that game before a ball was kicked. Where was a goal going to come from? Where was the protection in front of the defence?

I just can't believe what we did against Dortmund. Some poor decisions were made and we're now out of the tie with 90 minutes still to play.

What team do we play for the second leg? Well he better fucking put the kids out again, because he obviously feels the first team need to focus on the Premier League and aren't capable of juggling both competitions now. If he wastes our first team on 90 minutes at home to BVB only to inevitably crash out anyway, I'll be fuming.

To weaken the midfield to that extent...what else could we expect?

That was fucking embarrassing last night. Not because of the scoreline. There's no shame in losing to Dortmund 3-0. But the manner in which we went about the game, and team we chose to try and keep us in the tie was ridiculous. We barely broke into their half, let alone troubled Weidenfeller.

Agree with some of that but you're being a bit harsh!

The 'goal' would have come from either the nailed on penalty we didn't get or Son being clean through twice and fucking up!

Would have been a different game then if we'd scored any of those

You're right in saying there was no protection for the defence
Carroll, Eriksen and Son don't really do that and I was very disappointed with Mason and think even Bentelab could have done better but easy to say in hindsight as he could have been sent off for over aggression or made the situation worse with his occasional showboating but at least he wd have got stuck in!

I'm not saying Bvb didn't deserve their win, they did clearly and are a good side, probably top 4 PL

Poch chose a team to do a job and, although you could argue that a lot of our 1st teamers were missing - Verts, Harry, Dier, Lamela, Rose, Walker, Dembele etc their replacements have shown that, collectively, they weren't up to it.

Mason was poor throughout
As was Son
Carroll made a few passes but looked out of it clearly missing Dier's protection
Wimmer had a poor night
Both full backs were sub par
Chadli does what Chadli does but didn't get any service and is not a replacement for Harry any more than Son is.

So a bad night at the office and, like Poch said, these things happen and I'm sure even he didn't see this performance coming but he did indicate that for various reasons his hands were tied and we should trust and respect that.
He hoped we'd get away with it but brought Dembele Harry and Lamela on to try and save it but it didn't happen

Also we should bear in mind who we were playing.
A top German team in their own back yard
A fresh team due to their league structure meaning they have less than 6 hard games a season unlike ours where nearly every game is a battle

Some of us are overreacting

Now let's annihilate Villa and Bournemouth, continue our wonderful season and move the fuck on!

:pochserious2:

I think the 'love in' is actually envy. We'd all love to see our club supported like Dortmund, if you say otherwise I'd like to know an alternative example of support you envy.

With Dortmund they way they press, move the ball is kind of what we need to aim for, they are similar in style to us just better or at least better than our kids.

Not to long ago under Redknapp we used to play 4-4-2 quick counter attacking football. Few years after we lost Bale and Modric Real Madrid played exactly the same way only better obviously.

It's like Real Madrid trolled Redknapp and now Poch has been trolled by Dortmund. I suppose we at least have something to aim for.

I was infuriated when i saw the team selection. why the f*ck did poche play full strength squads earlier in the competition vs monaco and fiorentina only to play our reserves in what could of been a showcase for spurs... if your gonna throw in the towel vs dortmund why tire the first team earlier in the season when we had games 3 days later? wtf
Yep it is strange. Perhaps he realised just how strong Dortmund are and recognised Spurs wouldn't stand a chance even with a full strength side. Could have been a different story if we had drawn anyone other than the favourites.
Europa is still IMO a waste of time for a club like Spurs, if we hadn't been in it this season I think we'd win the PL.

what's this i'm hearing about crushing with our fans before kick off? sounds scary.
Did all the spurs fans spot Bardi Bardi and Flav Flav and rush to get their autographs or something

Stewarding was a joke, probably the worst I've encountered - which is a shame as it really put a downer on the experience of the stadium.

The fact that they don't even have proper segregation of fans is ridiculous for a newish stadium with loads of free space around it.

They ended up pepper spraying us and them in an attempt to calm things down.

The city is shit as well, all in all if we ever play them again I wouldn't bother going.

Would also be nice if the club tipped us off about which competitions they were going to throw so we could judge whether it's worth going.

I know what you mean but surely you go on a trip like that as a fan for the occasion, not expecting to turn over one of the best sides in Europe, even with our full team out?

I was supposed to put there but a touch of flu coupled with lack of match ticket (even though I could have got one out there) made me stay at home. But dodgy stewarding and total drubbing aside, it looked like a lot of fun. I've always said your ticket only guarantees you a seat in the ground. Everything else is out of your hands.

I'm not saying Bvb didn't deserve their win, they did clearly and are a good side, probably top 4 PL
Dortmund would win our league, particularly this season, hands down.

Also we should bear in mind who we were playing.
A top German team in their own back yard
That is my point. Why take a weakened squad to a top team?

If we play CL football next season, get drawn Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG in the last 16 but we're on for the league again, do we send out Tommy Carroll to mark Iniesta?

I don't think I'm overreacting. We've pissed away 90 minutes, we have another 90 minutes still to piss away (all the while we still have first team players playing), all because we can only focus on one competition. We're not fucking Bournemouth - we should be able to cope with more than that. We've been a European team for many years in a row now. If we don't have the squad to cope, Poch is equally culpable for not bringing in enough players to handle the competitions we're in. He's had 2 transfer windows this season to deal with that.

I repeat - I'm not gutted about losing 3-0 to Dortmund. What annoys me is from the first whistle it was always going to be a matter of 'how many?' with that lineup.

You keep underestimating the impact of fatigue on the squad. We play away to villa who are fighting for their lives. They will not roll over for us. They are in the pressure cooker now . Every single fucking year we shoot ourselves in the foot this time of the year dropping points to team we should have beat. I dont want that team to be villa or bournemouth.
Totally agree. Take any game as a given, at your peril.

I can just see it. Poch plays a weakened side against an already humiliated Villa team. Their players think, "what the fuck is this?" and start playing to the best of their abilities. We go 1-0 down in the second half...bring Kane and Dembele on, they're knackered. Villa grab a goal on the break to win 2-0. We lose the league by 3 points. Thank you Poch for avoiding this nightmare scenario.

I know what you mean but surely you go on a trip like that as a fan for the occasion, not expecting to turn over one of the best sides in Europe, even with our full team out?

I was supposed to put there but a touch of flu coupled with lack of match ticket (even though I could have got one out there) made me stay at home. But dodgy stewarding and total drubbing aside, it looked like a lot of fun. I've always said your ticket only guarantees you a seat in the ground. Everything else is out of your hands.

I never expect a win, just for the club to try it's best to win.

The team selection makes the pricing of the home leg look ridiculous.

I'm not being an apologist and i feel fucking bad for those who made the trip (I missed out on points, if i'd made it out i'd have been so gutted), but this really is a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't... What were the actual alternatives ? Start Dembele? If he gets crocked because he is rushed back into 2-3 games so quickly, and is out for another 3 weeks, Poch cops a load of shit... Same with Dier, he didn't even make the trip. There has to be a reason for this, no? It's not some arbitrary decision. But, with the facts we have, there is more of a case for having started Dier than Dembele. Poch obviously REALLY believes in Mason. So we could have had Dier and Carroll or Dier and Mason and also start Kane, but again ,the Dembele argument. These players have been rested for a reason and if we end up losing any of Dembele, Kane or Dier (along with Toby, our most vital players?) chasing fucking Dortmund at Dortmund, then then 'this is our best chance to win the league in forever' brigade will totally lose their shit. I know it's rubbish, and i'm probably trying to make myself feel better, but i think it's important to get some perspective.

I'm not being an apologist and i feel fucking bad for those who made the trip (I missed out on points, if i'd made it out i'd have been so gutted), but this really is a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't... What were the actual alternatives ? Start Dembele? If he gets crocked because he is rushed back into 2-3 games so quickly, and is out for another 3 weeks, Poch cops a load of shit... Same with Dier, he didn't even make the trip. There has to be a reason for this, no? It's not some arbitrary decision. But, with the facts we have, there is more of a case for having started Dier than Dembele. Poch obviously REALLY believes in Mason. So we could have had Dier and Carroll or Dier and Mason and also start Kane, but again ,the Dembele argument. These players have been rested for a reason and if we end up losing any of Dembele, Kane or Dier (along with Toby, our most vital players?) chasing fucking Dortmund at Dortmund, then then 'this is our best chance to win the league in forever' brigade will totally lose their shit. I know it's rubbish, and i'm probably trying to make myself feel better, but i think it's important to get some perspective.

Dembele and Dier might have been unfit, but no reason to play Onomah for 90 mins in a match like that.

How was Onmah last night? I was working. Was he falling over all the time as usual?
I don't think he is physically ready for top flight football as he's like Bambi.
Hopefully next season, he will have filled out a bit and become more Pogba less Bambi.
McClaren just been sacked.

How was Onmah last night? I was working. Was he falling over all the time as usual?
I don't think he is physically ready for top flight football as he's like Bambi.
Hopefully next season, he will have filled out a bit and become more Pogba less Bambi.

In my opinion he was poor and normally is , I've yet to be impressed, but if chelsea and City were keen to sign him and we were desperate to keep him then he must have something and hopefully the experience he is getting now will pay dividends down the line

Got put left wing, so couldn't even try to dribble to beat his man.

Just looked totally unready for that level of opponent, as did others.

Back
Top Bottom