Do the powers that be want VAR to fail?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's been implemented so poorly and haphazardly into football that it makes you wonder if they just want it ruled out as soon as possible it borders on the unbelievable how poorly it's been implemented with literally dozens of wrong decisions being verified every month and has fixed none of the problems that VAR was supposed to, all we have gained imo is decent goals being ruled out because of offside by a millimeter that no one would ever have said was offside if it was given and penalties given for ridiculous hand balls like Sissoko and PSG against Man U in the CL last season, if they weren't given those incidents would have been dismissed by pundits and fans alike.

VAR won't make the game perfect buy it has made other games better it's made football 10 times worse and almost unwatchable (for me at least) Agueros winner in the CL QF is the perfect use of var the officials missed it and VAR verified he was a yard offside , it should get every straight red decision correct but it doesn't all it has done is muddy the waters of how the rules should be applied , it's an absolute clusterfuck that makes you wonder if it's just a ploy to oust it after all it could be excellent if used properly.

There should be a time limit on the decision. Why they get to sit there for 3 minutes, chugging their lattes, deciding whether or not someone's hardened nipple counts as handball is beyond me. Replay the angles and say yay or nay.

The VAR overrule of the Son goal against Leicester seemed ridiculous. Not only for the fact we would have been 2-0 up and gone on to win, but the way it could have been viewed a split second before or after to clearly show him onside. What an anti-football decision that one was.

Also the Kane no penalty against Newcastle(rugby tackle) was a complete joke. (would never have been disallowed if it were Liverpool)

Last edited:
I am pro TV help for refs but the way VAR has been implemented is a joke.

1 offside, a rule designed to stop goal hanging with the advantage given towards the attacker. Now it’s implemented with such vigour that Son’s goal against Leicester that was so marginal the frame rate can’t even prove if he was 100% offside is given offside. Total joke.

2 seems to be clueless on penalties, penalties that would be given for Liverpool not given for other teams.

3 delays, what are they doing why does it take so long to formulate a decision.

4 Son’s red card. Gomes landed awkwardly but the tackle was in no way reckless, it was just pure unluck, VAR should have been able to correctly resolve this error.

Goal line technology is great - it's a fact whether the whole ball crosses the whole of the line - no argument there.
However, if VAR is in operation, why bother having officials on the pitch? I accept that refs can make mistakes and miss things, but surely he should make the decision by reviewing a pitch side monitor.

The disallowing of goals for being offside by millimetres (0urs v Leicester, Firmino v Villa) are mentally stupid and the wrong way round.
It should be daylight between striker and last defender, to encourage attacking play, not penalise it.

VAR will only work if it wins Liverpool or Man City the league..
If it denies either of these outcomes, it will be deemed a failure, and ditched accordingly!

They only don't like it 'cos it helped get us to the CL FINAL last season!!

We're certainly paying for it now!

I still think VAR can be useful in modern football if implemented correctly. It hasn't.

I don't believe in a conspiracy theory that they want VAR to fail and this is why it was implemented so poorly.

There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they?
I've never seen any other competition that uses VAR so poorly then the EPL right now. They don't really know how to apply the rules of the game to VAR on a consistent basis. You should be able to watch a few replays from a few angles and decide you were clearly right, clearly wrong, or (a crazy idea I know) "Thats too close to call clearly right or wrong on a replay". None of this drawing lines on the fucking screen looking for reasons to justify a call, clear and fucking obvious... It's really not difficult. Im also increasingly feeling like part of the problem is refereeing in general is way to inconsistant and VAR magnifies that. I honestly thought VAR would have growing pains and it would get better, but this is getting worse and I honestly can't believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people somewhere made decisions on purpose that have led to things being so poorly defined.
There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.
I agree with the 30 second rule.. after all, if it's *CLEAR AND OBVIOUS, then you SHOULD be able to tell that within 20-30 seconds...

Anything that takes 3 minutes+ to work out - by definition - CLEARLY isn't obvious!

*sorry for SHOUTING Joe Clash Joe Clash **

** and sorry for tagging you Joe Clash Joe Clash !!!

I like VAR. It seemed perfect in the Russian world cup.

Since then it has been a shambles. The premier league implementation in particular. This suggests to me that it is being sabotaged intentionally.

My dad (a referee of 14 years) believes the 'old skool' ref's will feel undermined and threatened by VAR and won't want it in the game. By undermining it and allow 'bad VAR decisions' it emphasises the importance of the on field officials.

this is what cunts get for constantly moaning about penalty decisions, offsides and handballs. Its a game with a ref, and sometimes there are mistakes. They all even out in a season.
Twat pundits that have made a career out of criticising and over analysing referring decisions/performances.
Goal line technology is enough and makes sure there are no real travesties.
I don't even think that technology should be used for things such as the terry henry or maradona handballs - fuck it - its an in game incident and that's the way it goes. they are now fucking with the game properly and changing the whole dynamic.

Back
Top Bottom