Do the powers that be want VAR to fail?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The VAR overrule of the Son goal against Leicester seemed ridiculous. Not only for the fact we would have been 2-0 up and gone on to win, but the way it could have been viewed a split second before or after to clearly show him onside. What an anti-football decision that one was.

Also the Kane no penalty against Newcastle(rugby tackle) was a complete joke. (would never have been disallowed if it were Liverpool)

Last edited:
I like VAR. It seemed perfect in the Russian world cup.

Since then it has been a shambles. The premier league implementation in particular. This suggests to me that it is being sabotaged intentionally.

My dad (a referee of 14 years) believes the 'old skool' ref's will feel undermined and threatened by VAR and won't want it in the game. By undermining it and allow 'bad VAR decisions' it emphasises the importance of the on field officials.

this is what cunts get for constantly moaning about penalty decisions, offsides and handballs. Its a game with a ref, and sometimes there are mistakes. They all even out in a season.
Twat pundits that have made a career out of criticising and over analysing referring decisions/performances.
Goal line technology is enough and makes sure there are no real travesties.
I don't even think that technology should be used for things such as the terry henry or maradona handballs - fuck it - its an in game incident and that's the way it goes. they are now fucking with the game properly and changing the whole dynamic.

I am pro TV help for refs but the way VAR has been implemented is a joke.

1 offside, a rule designed to stop goal hanging with the advantage given towards the attacker. Now it’s implemented with such vigour that Son’s goal against Leicester that was so marginal the frame rate can’t even prove if he was 100% offside is given offside. Total joke.

2 seems to be clueless on penalties, penalties that would be given for Liverpool not given for other teams.

3 delays, what are they doing why does it take so long to formulate a decision.

4 Son’s red card. Gomes landed awkwardly but the tackle was in no way reckless, it was just pure unluck, VAR should have been able to correctly resolve this error.

3 delays, what are they doing why does it take so long to formulate a decision.
Last Sunday it took them literally 185 seconds (over 3 mins) to decide whether it was a handball by Dele / a penalty for Everton, absolutely ridiculous. Totally kills the flow of the game.

'Clear and obvious..'

Last edited:
The way I see it is the EPL want a way to inject advertising into the game slowly like the yanks do it.

Then on the other side the refs are doing everything they can to kill it.

I live in the US so I'm used to commercials being thrown in my face during every sporting event (I'm still convinced that actual football isn't popular here because tv networks didn't want to show a sport where they couldn't shove commercials in your face constantly, people here that aren't sports fans actually watch the NFL Super Bowl for the fucking commercials...) and I was joking to my girlfriend during that long stoppage that if this nonsense continues they are just going to slap a 3-5 minute VAR commercial break in for every review in the future. Then we will have another commercial break at 45 and 90 minutes before the 15+ minutes of stoppage time that will be required from all the previous breaks.

I live in the US so I'm used to commercials being thrown in my face during every sporting event (I'm still convinced that actual football isn't popular here because tv networks didn't want to show a sport where they couldn't shove commercials in your face constantly, people here that aren't sports fans actually watch the NFL Super Bowl for the fucking commercials...) and I was joking to my girlfriend during that long stoppage that if this nonsense continues they are just going to slap a 3-5 minute VAR commercial break in for every review in the future. Then we will have another commercial break at 45 and 90 minutes before the 15+ minutes of stoppage time that will be required from all the previous breaks.

If you look at the screen there is a big PREMIER LEAGUE logo across it. Twice iirc. I'm assuming that is to be able to swap it out for an ad without much fuss.

4 Son’s red card. Gomes landed awkwardly but the tackle was in no way reckless, it was just pure unluck, VAR should have been able to correctly resolve this error.
Of course his tackle was reckless. It was a bad attempt, from behind the opposing player, and he was miles from the ball.

But it wasn't a red card.

Of course his tackle was reckless. It was a bad attempt, from behind the opposing player, and he was miles from the ball.

But it wasn't a red card.

I agree, it seemed obvious to me that Son was looking for a foul if not a yellow card in retaliation for a no call on him just prior. Never a red card though as you said.

One conspiracy theory I heard is that the bookies are behind it because most bets go on the favourites and the favourites are more likely to score goals. Hence the emphasis on disallowing goals and not awarding penalties.

Goal line technology is great - it's a fact whether the whole ball crosses the whole of the line - no argument there.
However, if VAR is in operation, why bother having officials on the pitch? I accept that refs can make mistakes and miss things, but surely he should make the decision by reviewing a pitch side monitor.

They need to follow the clear and obvious error mantra, that should apply to offsides too, advantage to the attacking team as well. For me I still can't see how Firmino is offside the other day that was ludicrous. The Prem has the worst implementation of VAR of any top league (only place I have seen that has it worse is here in the Australian A-League). I actually like that the referees don't have to run over to the monitor as it takes so much time. Maybe there should be a timer on the decision? If the VAR can't make a decision on it in 60 seconds it is deemed not a 'clear and obvious error' and it reverts to the on-field referees decision.

Personally I was never a fan of it coming in, but it is here now and there is no chance it goes away from football unfortunately so we just have to make the best of a bad situation.

I think the VAR system is working perfect.... we no longer argue or debate about an opinion concerning an event...and now just argue weather VAR has got the decision right...... and before long there will be no tackling...... mark my words

VAR if implemented properly would be great. Unfortunately, all its introduction has proven is the guys running it are thick, like actually, seriously stupid. As has already been said, the logic of their statement for Son's red card makes absolutely zero sense, it would mean about 19 red cards per game.

The offsides are even more ridiculous, as well as Son you have the Firmino one and one for Sterling first game of the season i think. The technology is just not good enough to determine offside to that degree of accuracy - I suspect the PGMOL might actually be too dumb to understand this.

I do like the idea of a time limit. If you cannot tell within 30 seconds, it aint clear and obvious

I struggle to understand the concept of VAR. The best question is to ask.
Who is this going to benefit?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom