Do the powers that be want VAR to fail?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The way I see it is the EPL want a way to inject advertising into the game slowly like the yanks do it.

Then on the other side the refs are doing everything they can to kill it.

I live in the US so I'm used to commercials being thrown in my face during every sporting event (I'm still convinced that actual football isn't popular here because tv networks didn't want to show a sport where they couldn't shove commercials in your face constantly, people here that aren't sports fans actually watch the NFL Super Bowl for the fucking commercials...) and I was joking to my girlfriend during that long stoppage that if this nonsense continues they are just going to slap a 3-5 minute VAR commercial break in for every review in the future. Then we will have another commercial break at 45 and 90 minutes before the 15+ minutes of stoppage time that will be required from all the previous breaks.

'Clear and obvious' was a sham from the beginning because they don't look at the incidents objectively to adjudge whether they were clearly and obviously a foul. Instead it's deciding whether it's excusable for the referee to have made their call irrespective of it being correct or incorrect, so just validating their decisions. The exception to this is offsides, which are decided with questionable logic and methods.

If subjectivity is allowed then there is zero consistency in how rules are applied, which means that we get different outcomes not just between matches but within individual games. The lack of clarity and transparency on how each decision is being made means that the PL can change the rules however they see fit from match to match, which is incredibly dangerous.

Exactly. These PL refs had these bullshit clauses inserted into VAR rules to protect their fragile egos. Basically gutted VAR of any efficacy or credibility.

The way I see it is the EPL want a way to inject advertising into the game slowly like the yanks do it.

Then on the other side the refs are doing everything they can to kill it.
Yep I can just see it now on the TV.
"While you're waiting for the VR result why not enjoy a can of Heineken (or two)."

3 delays, what are they doing why does it take so long to formulate a decision.
Last Sunday it took them literally 185 seconds (over 3 mins) to decide whether it was a handball by Dele / a penalty for Everton, absolutely ridiculous. Totally kills the flow of the game.

'Clear and obvious..'

Last edited:
VAR if implemented properly would be great. Unfortunately, all its introduction has proven is the guys running it are thick, like actually, seriously stupid. As has already been said, the logic of their statement for Son's red card makes absolutely zero sense, it would mean about 19 red cards per game.

The offsides are even more ridiculous, as well as Son you have the Firmino one and one for Sterling first game of the season i think. The technology is just not good enough to determine offside to that degree of accuracy - I suspect the PGMOL might actually be too dumb to understand this.

I do like the idea of a time limit. If you cannot tell within 30 seconds, it aint clear and obvious

'Clear and obvious' was a sham from the beginning because they don't look at the incidents objectively to adjudge whether they were clearly and obviously a foul. Instead it's deciding whether it's excusable for the referee to have made their call irrespective of it being correct or incorrect, so just validating their decisions. The exception to this is offsides, which are decided with questionable logic and methods.

If subjectivity is allowed then there is zero consistency in how rules are applied, which means that we get different outcomes not just between matches but within individual games. The lack of clarity and transparency on how each decision is being made means that the PL can change the rules however they see fit from match to match, which is incredibly dangerous.

There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.

We don't need that monitor thing, that just delays things even further and is only there to massage the referee's ego's so they can be seen to still being the one to make the call.

There are three PL referees getting to watch it in slow motion from various angles, if they make the call the pitch ref should just defer and they need top stop worrying about a bullshit "threshold" which is entirely about preserving the "status" of the on pitch ref, when what VAR should be about is simply making the best decision, not deciding how "close" to the right decision the on pitch ref was.

The worst part for me is the muted celebrations when a goal is scored. Instead of jumping off your seat and ending up 8 rows in front of you, it’s a quick “yes” and then looking at the ref to see if he has his finger to his ear in prep of reviewing the goal.

I absolutely hate it from a supporters point of view.

I would much rather see a scoring system in place for refs. Every wrong decisions they make, they get points which would see them reffing in the lower leagues as a result.
I am a million percent certain that refs have agendas with certain clubs and deliberately give decisions against the,. A point system would cut that out and also would get rid of VAR which literally is killing the game.

I've never seen any other competition that uses VAR so poorly then the EPL right now. They don't really know how to apply the rules of the game to VAR on a consistent basis. You should be able to watch a few replays from a few angles and decide you were clearly right, clearly wrong, or (a crazy idea I know) "Thats too close to call clearly right or wrong on a replay". None of this drawing lines on the fucking screen looking for reasons to justify a call, clear and fucking obvious... It's really not difficult. Im also increasingly feeling like part of the problem is refereeing in general is way to inconsistant and VAR magnifies that. I honestly thought VAR would have growing pains and it would get better, but this is getting worse and I honestly can't believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people somewhere made decisions on purpose that have led to things being so poorly defined.

It needs to be implemented more like Rugby does it, transparency and refs actually reviewing the footage themselves so the decision falls on them.

I personally think it's been implemented badly because the refs are protected and the FA is corrupt as fuck and VAR (if implemented properly) will make sure that things are fair, which is exactly what they don't want.

The fact that the premier league doesn't use the pitch side screen makes it even more suspicious, make the public hate it so they can go back to doing things the dodgy way.

I live in the US so I'm used to commercials being thrown in my face during every sporting event (I'm still convinced that actual football isn't popular here because tv networks didn't want to show a sport where they couldn't shove commercials in your face constantly, people here that aren't sports fans actually watch the NFL Super Bowl for the fucking commercials...) and I was joking to my girlfriend during that long stoppage that if this nonsense continues they are just going to slap a 3-5 minute VAR commercial break in for every review in the future. Then we will have another commercial break at 45 and 90 minutes before the 15+ minutes of stoppage time that will be required from all the previous breaks.

If you look at the screen there is a big PREMIER LEAGUE logo across it. Twice iirc. I'm assuming that is to be able to swap it out for an ad without much fuss.

They are mucking it up because they are trying to use it on totally the wrong way. They think that they can get every decision correct by the use of VAR which is ridiculous and never what it was intended to be used for.

It's still not too late to use it properly...... All they have to do is get the VAR ref's to ask themselves "Is it a clear and obvious error by the ref"

99 percent of the time, the answer will be no which is how it should be.

VAR should be there to overturn absolute howler decisions - if used correctly it would probably only be used 10 times in a season.

I have generally been pro-VAR but I don't think anyone could be pro-VAR with the way it has been implemented by the FA. It's been a disaster, without a doubt.

Is the solution scrapping it all together? I mean, I'm open to the idea. I'm a bit more open to the idea of having a different group of people reviewing the video and a different set of standards applied for VAR usage. Anything is better than what we have now though.

VAR was fine in the World Cup. That's it. UCL was meh, and every other adaptation has been shit. It should either be used like it did in the World Cup, or scraped altogether.

Back
Top Bottom