Do the powers that be want VAR to fail?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's been implemented so poorly and haphazardly into football that it makes you wonder if they just want it ruled out as soon as possible it borders on the unbelievable how poorly it's been implemented with literally dozens of wrong decisions being verified every month and has fixed none of the problems that VAR was supposed to, all we have gained imo is decent goals being ruled out because of offside by a millimeter that no one would ever have said was offside if it was given and penalties given for ridiculous hand balls like Sissoko and PSG against Man U in the CL last season, if they weren't given those incidents would have been dismissed by pundits and fans alike.

VAR won't make the game perfect buy it has made other games better it's made football 10 times worse and almost unwatchable (for me at least) Agueros winner in the CL QF is the perfect use of var the officials missed it and VAR verified he was a yard offside , it should get every straight red decision correct but it doesn't all it has done is muddy the waters of how the rules should be applied , it's an absolute clusterfuck that makes you wonder if it's just a ploy to oust it after all it could be excellent if used properly.

VAR will only work if it wins Liverpool or Man City the league..
If it denies either of these outcomes, it will be deemed a failure, and ditched accordingly!

They only don't like it 'cos it helped get us to the CL FINAL last season!!

We're certainly paying for it now!

I still think VAR can be useful in modern football if implemented correctly. It hasn't.

I don't believe in a conspiracy theory that they want VAR to fail and this is why it was implemented so poorly.

I have generally been pro-VAR but I don't think anyone could be pro-VAR with the way it has been implemented by the FA. It's been a disaster, without a doubt.

Is the solution scrapping it all together? I mean, I'm open to the idea. I'm a bit more open to the idea of having a different group of people reviewing the video and a different set of standards applied for VAR usage. Anything is better than what we have now though.

There should be a time limit on the decision. Why they get to sit there for 3 minutes, chugging their lattes, deciding whether or not someone's hardened nipple counts as handball is beyond me. Replay the angles and say yay or nay.

I've never seen any other competition that uses VAR so poorly then the EPL right now. They don't really know how to apply the rules of the game to VAR on a consistent basis. You should be able to watch a few replays from a few angles and decide you were clearly right, clearly wrong, or (a crazy idea I know) "Thats too close to call clearly right or wrong on a replay". None of this drawing lines on the fucking screen looking for reasons to justify a call, clear and fucking obvious... It's really not difficult. Im also increasingly feeling like part of the problem is refereeing in general is way to inconsistant and VAR magnifies that. I honestly thought VAR would have growing pains and it would get better, but this is getting worse and I honestly can't believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people somewhere made decisions on purpose that have led to things being so poorly defined.

There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they?
I've never seen any other competition that uses VAR so poorly then the EPL right now. They don't really know how to apply the rules of the game to VAR on a consistent basis. You should be able to watch a few replays from a few angles and decide you were clearly right, clearly wrong, or (a crazy idea I know) "Thats too close to call clearly right or wrong on a replay". None of this drawing lines on the fucking screen looking for reasons to justify a call, clear and fucking obvious... It's really not difficult. Im also increasingly feeling like part of the problem is refereeing in general is way to inconsistant and VAR magnifies that. I honestly thought VAR would have growing pains and it would get better, but this is getting worse and I honestly can't believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people somewhere made decisions on purpose that have led to things being so poorly defined.
There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.
I agree with the 30 second rule.. after all, if it's *CLEAR AND OBVIOUS, then you SHOULD be able to tell that within 20-30 seconds...

Anything that takes 3 minutes+ to work out - by definition - CLEARLY isn't obvious!

*sorry for SHOUTING Joe Clash Joe Clash **

** and sorry for tagging you Joe Clash Joe Clash !!!

VAR was fine in the World Cup. That's it. UCL was meh, and every other adaptation has been shit. It should either be used like it did in the World Cup, or scraped altogether.

It needs to be implemented more like Rugby does it, transparency and refs actually reviewing the footage themselves so the decision falls on them.

I personally think it's been implemented badly because the refs are protected and the FA is corrupt as fuck and VAR (if implemented properly) will make sure that things are fair, which is exactly what they don't want.

The fact that the premier league doesn't use the pitch side screen makes it even more suspicious, make the public hate it so they can go back to doing things the dodgy way.

The way I see it is the EPL want a way to inject advertising into the game slowly like the yanks do it.

Then on the other side the refs are doing everything they can to kill it.
Yep I can just see it now on the TV.
"While you're waiting for the VR result why not enjoy a can of Heineken (or two)."

Back
Top Bottom