Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In all the years I have been watching and playing football (it's many) I have never heard such wank about a red carded tackle before. May be it's because of social media/forums/TV multi angle slow motion/ over analysis of every action whatever. But never have I heard people suggest that a player should see a therapist, recommen additional penalties. And now the manager is a cunt as well!

I don't know wether to laugh or cry. I need a lie down. Fucking wow!

It's not just the red card though is it? As others have said, it's surprising this was his first red considering his growing catalog of misdemeanors. He clearly has a problem with his temper, and if he can't control it, opposition teams will start to exploit it.

Dele has the potential to be one of the best players in England, if not the world, but it's ridiculous to stick your head in the sand and hope it will get better of its own accord, especially as these incidents are getting more common as he gets older, not less.

It's not just the red card though is it? As others have said, it's surprising this was his first red considering his growing catalog of misdemeanors. He clearly has a problem with his temper, and if he can't control it, opposition teams will start to exploit it.

Dele has the potential to be one of the best players in England, if not the world, but it's ridiculous to stick your head in the sand and hope it will get better of its own accord, especially as these incidents are getting more common as he gets older, not less.

No one is saying that. People are suggesting that Poch deals with it in house.

Its not surprising its his first red at all.

He hasnt made any red card challenges before, so why should there be more

Its not surprising its his first red at all.

He hasnt made any red card challenges before, so why should there be more

Not challenges, but he's been lucky not to get sent off for petulant stuff. He got a three game ban retrospectively last season, and also should have been sent off for this below.

Poch said he was going to speak to the player in private after the incident below, so he's already tried the in-house approach and it doesn't seem to be working. Looks like Dele will get a three match UEFA ban anyhow. But there is something wrong with his temperament (anger issues) and normally if you act up at work, they either sack you or get you some therapy.

Not challenges, but he's been lucky not to get sent off for petulant stuff. He got a three game ban retrospectively last season, and also should have been sent off for this below.

Poch said he was going to speak to the player in private after the incident below, so he's already tried the in-house approach and it doesn't seem to be working. Looks like Dele will get a three match UEFA ban anyhow. But there is something wrong with his temperament (anger issues) and normally if you act up at work, they either sack you or get you some therapy.

So do you want Poch to deal with Dele's perceived problems in public?

There was blood coming from his leg, he was then subbed off after ten minutes because he was in too much pain... :confused:. He even said he was lucky and first thought he had broken his leg.
Even so it doesn't make a difference. I don't think anyone is saying he should not play. I just hate seeing cowardly acts of violence. Dele apologised to the guy and he accepted. He will be banned for a few European games next season. Poch probably has had a word. That's it. I agree let's move on but the challenge was a shocker.
After Dele got sent off the 10 left on the pitch gave everything, but came up short.
Dele had to watch them all come back into the dressing room knowing he had let them down.
That is going to hurt him more than a million negative tweets or trial by media.

Fair enough, but I take most of what Poch says at press conferences with a pinch of salt. He clearly doesn't respect the football press, and I don't blame him.
To be honest, I'm out of my depth when attempting suggestions as to how to manage Dele.
15 years of Championship Manager just doesn't prepare you for these kind of issues!
fat-computer-geek.jpg

I love his temperament, his temperament lifts us as a team. This temperament has been missing from our side for decades. It is exactly the temperament that is the ingredient to every championship winning side I have ever seen. Name a Championship winning team that hasn't had one player with it?

Let other teams fans, commentators and the press bitch and moan about him. Just as we did about Vierra, Keane, Ince, Robson whinging away whilst they lifted the trophy.

What were your views on Mackay, Roberts? Did you want them to be checked over by a shrink?

Looks like those 15 years of management have taken their toll lad!

I think it's obvious with Poch being so guarded with his media comments/pressers, only the players know the real story, behind closed doors and all that.

What were your views on Mackay, Roberts? Did you want them to be checked over by a shrink?
Mackay was hard but he wasn't dirty or petulant.
And Dele is not a midfield enforcer, but a creative attacking player. His situation is closer to that of Gazza - potential to be a great attacking force with the potential to self-destruct.
That's why I've reacted in a different way to most fans on here, as I see a lot of similarities between the two, and would hate to see Dele make the same mistakes of Gazza, who was spoilt by Venables to the detriment of his career.

Mackay was hard but he wasn't dirty or petulant.
And Dele is not a midfield enforcer, but a creative attacking player. His situation is closer to that of Gazza - potential to be a great attacking force with the potential to self-destruct.
That's why I've reacted in a different way to most fans on here, as I see a lot of similarities between the two, and would hate to see Dele make the same mistakes of Gazza, who was spoilt by Venables to the detriment of his career.
And Roberts?

And what do you think about the Championship winning sides that all had at least one player with an aggressive attitude? As I said name me one team that didn't have such a player.

MacKay was hard, I've read a few books about him and almost to a man those who he was up against said that he was terrifying and had the phycological battle won even before they left the dressing room. It has been said each tackle he went in for was a potential red card.

And Roberts?

And what do you think about the Championship winning sides that all had at least one player with an aggressive attitude? As I said name me one team that didn't have such a player.

MacKay was hard, I've read a few books about him and almost to a man those who he was up against said that he was terrifying and had the phycological battle won even before they left the dressing room. It has been said each tackle he went in for was a potential red card.

Who was Leicester's hard man? Whose the enforcer at Chelsea? Name me the hardman at Barcelona or Real Madrid?
The fact that players now face lengthy bans (particularly in the form of retrospective action) means that someone like Keane wouldn't be available to play for half the season.
Mackay's aura as I understand it had a lot to do with the fact he came back from the broken legs and still put in hard (but fair) challenges. And as any fan who saw him play would tell you, Mackay's greatness lay in the fact he was more than just a hard player, he was technically brilliant.

Redknapp, Jenas, and Hoddle all agree it was a terrible challenge - a "lost it in the head" moment.

Poch is saying it isn't his fault. Sorry it is his fault. We went through the same nonsense with Gazza.

My penalty? Ban him for six games and set him up with a therapist. The boy is not right in the head.

And no more playing with his best mate Eric until he has learnt his lesson.

That challenge was fucking disgusting, it was the worst challenge Ive seen by a Spurs player since 91.

Throw the book at him, make him grow up, don't make excuses just because he is young and a spurs player. He is turning into a petulant shit and Pochs reaction is desperate....

The wheels are falling off again.
Fuck off.
I like to see a bit of fire in the players' bellies.

It was an immature and rash challenge. So fuck. If he didn't get sent off then I would understand the dramatic post-mortem folk like you are perpetuating, but he was sent off.

Alli was sent off. We went on to lose the tie. I think that's punishment enough.

Who was Leicester's hard man? Whose the enforcer at Chelsea? Name me the hardman at Barcelona or Real Madrid?
The fact that players now face lengthy bans (particularly in the form of retrospective action) means that someone like Keane wouldn't be available to play for half the season.
Mackay's aura as I understand it had a lot to do with the fact he came back from the broken legs and still put in hard (but fair) challenges. And as any fan who saw him play would tell you, Mackay's greatness lay in the fact he was more than just a hard player, he was technically brilliant.
To be clear and not to drift off into a different direction I'm referring to temperament, not just "hard men" they can be the same person but not always.
Leicester - Huth, Morgan, Vardy (in fact the whole side could be argued they had "that" temperament.
Chelsea - Terry, Cahill, Costa, Essien, Drogba, Robben, Carvaliho, Mikel, Ivanovic
Barca - Puyol, Busquets, Mascherano, the entire squad between 1983-1986
Madrid - Ramos, Pepe, Karanka, Figo, Makelele, Zidane

Most of the players mentioned got red card every single season (referring to serial winners here).

Mackay was, as is well know, a brilliantly gifted footballer, but he was a ruthless competitor and as has been stated by numerous opponents a player so hard that "each tackle could have been a red card".

As I said, I love Alli's temperament, we have lacked it for years. Without it we will not win a fucking thing. Remember his goal he scored against France? The tackle he won to win the ball in the first place is what his attitude is all about, but get that wrong by a fraction of a second and either he or the other player get hurt and he will get a red card. Deal with it.

I've pointed it out a few times, I love Poch but I think he is too close to the players. Walker described him as a "friend". It restricts Poch from a disciplinary point of view.
Maybe you should ask the players Poch fucked off out of the club if he was their friend. What about Bentaleb, some on here feel he was treated to harshly by Poch. Seems we have a manager that doesn't wash his laundry in public and refuses to castigate the players in the media. Personally i prefer it that way, we have no idea what's been said privately between the player and the manager. Dele is young and immature, he plays on the edge, hopefully he will mature and calm down a bit but i get the feeling the red mist will never be truly far away so it's a balancing act. Rooney was similar at that age, he calmed down but that edge is still there. I respect your opinion but i get the feeling that you and a few others are swimming against the tide.

Back
Top Bottom