Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me I’ve never seen anyone overrate a player more than you overrate this bloke. He’s a very hard worker, physically strong and has a solid left peg. Ange has done well using him as a work-horse wide player who does well in build-up.

He’s elite at nothing and to be our ‘best’ player we’d have to face the worlds worst injury crisis.
He's overrated cause people keep hanging on to that solid 3-4 month spell he had after he first joined, when he did very well...goals, assists, the lot. But that was ages ago. Oh and perhaps it helped that he had peak Kane & Sonny next to him. Also he was very much an unknown entity, so opposition defenders afforded him more time & space.

But since then, he's been very average. Like you said, he's a one-footed, one-paced, one-trick pony. And I agree with you re the myth that he'd be Zidane if he played centrally. No he wouldn't. He wouldn't even be friggin Dalmat.

one footed though, a failing apparently

It’s the combination of all those fucking factors holding Kulu back, if he had Messi’s other abilities then he’d obviously be ok being one footed, Jesus Christ mick. I’d expect my nephews to work this shit out.

Robben had one foot but was also very quick, could put a ball top corner and was a world class dribbler. See how it works? How it’s one negative set against more positives?

Crikey.

You're comparing Messi being one footed to Kulu being one foot, then justifying why it's okay for Kulu to be so one dimensional, slow, not able beat players and always cut in on to his left, ruining almost every attack down the right.

For Kulu, him being one footed is a horrendous liability for us on the right wing, and Messi gets away with it, because he excels in so much more of his game, as did Maradona.

The guy needs to play centrally, and even then, he wouldn't be first choice, but would be a good back up to have.

Maddison although it leaves us a bit weak on the wing, maybe Gil could go on the right and Johnson left.
I would swap it the other way.

Gil on the left Johnson on the right.

The left is natural for Gil and BJ the right as that is where he played for Nottingham Forest and excelled at.

Why can't we just play players where they are best suited. It's so fecking simple.

Last edited:
He's overrated cause people keep hanging on to that solid 3-4 month spell he had after he first joined, when he did very well...goals, assists, the lot. But that was ages ago. Oh and perhaps it helped that he had peak Kane & Sonny next to him. Also he was very much an unknown entity, so opposition defenders afforded him more time & space.

But since then, he's been very average. Like you said, he's a one-footed, one-paced, one-trick pony. And I agree with you re the myth that he'd be Zidane if he played centrally. No he wouldn't. He wouldn't even be friggin Dalmat.

Essentially, yeah. He’s not a bad player by any means - his work-rate is exceptional and he is genuinely decent at holding up the ball & shielding it in deep areas. Helps us retain it quite a bit.

But he’s just not threatening. If Sweden played England would I be worried about Kulu? Not at all. I imagine opposition fans and defenders feel the same way. He rarely shoots and if he does it nearly always gets blocked because he’s so predictable. Robben was too but got his shots away because he did it at 5x the speed. Being able to do things quickly before a defender can get set is SO important.

This is why it’s annoying when you mention speed and everyone acts like you’re talking straight line sprinting. There are lots of attackers who wouldn’t win a 100m dash but they’re still quick in a football sense. Kulu isn’t, he does everything at a leisurely pace and everyone knows what he’s going to do.

It makes for a bad winger. And he’s technically decent but nowhere near a KDB or Kane where he can ping a ball wherever he wants or pick out the corners for fun. So you’re left with this just very serviceable player who for some reason people are still convinced is going to turn in to some world class footballer.

You’re not particular deserving of more variety and honestly I think it would just confuse you.
the day a limited person of your cognitive capabilities could cause any ripples in my ability to make educated decisions of my own will be the day I phone dignitas.
Your over estimation of your abilities is in inverse proportion to their very existence.

You're comparing Messi being one footed to Kulu being one foot, then justifying why it's okay for Kulu to be so one dimensional, slow, not able beat players and always cut in on to his left, ruining almost every attack down the right.

For Kulu, him being one footed is a horrendous liability for us on the right wing, and Messi gets away with it, because he excels in so much more of his game, as did Maradona.

The guy needs to play centrally, and even then, he wouldn't be first choice, but would be a good back up to have.
He is a footballing vacuum, the ball goes to him and almost always pops out into transferred possession

I would never compare Messi with Kulu in footballing terms, ever.

the day a limited person of your cognitive capabilities could cause any ripples in my ability to make educated decisions of my own will be the day I phone dignitas.
Your over estimation of your abilities is in inverse proportion to their very existence.

You genuinely type like some homeless guy who is off his head on crack and trying his absolute hardest to sound intelligent. It is uncanny.

He is a footballing vacuum, the ball goes to him and almost always pops out into transferred possession

I would never compare Messi with Kulu in footballing terms, ever.
But you did,
That is having a dig at all us who are pointing out that Kulu's one-footedness is liability, which it is, then comparing it messy and saying being one footed is a "failing apparently".

Being one footed on Messi, no.
Kulu being one-footed, fecking hell yes, because he hasn't got the attributes in a footballing sense to compensate for it.

Essentially, yeah. He’s not a bad player by any means - his work-rate is exceptional and he is genuinely decent at holding up the ball & shielding it in deep areas. Helps us retain it quite a bit.

But he’s just not threatening. If Sweden played England would I be worried about Kulu? Not at all. I imagine opposition fans and defenders feel the same way. He rarely shoots and if he does it nearly always gets blocked because he’s so predictable. Robben was too but got his shots away because he did it at 5x the speed. Being able to do things quickly before a defender can get set is SO important.

This is why it’s annoying when you mention speed and everyone acts like you’re talking straight line sprinting. There are lots of attackers who wouldn’t win a 100m dash but they’re still quick in a football sense. Kulu isn’t, he does everything at a leisurely pace and everyone knows what he’s going to do.

It makes for a bad winger. And he’s technically decent but nowhere near a KDB or Kane where he can ping a ball wherever he wants or pick out the corners for fun. So you’re left with this just very serviceable player who for some reason people are still convinced is going to turn in to some world class footballer.

Bang on.

People keep saying his work rate is exceptional. I don’t think it is. He does run a lot, but he doesn’t run very fast or close and pressure quickly or smartly and certainly isn’t very effective without the ball, he often doesn’t track a runner properly. Sarr does most of the heavy lifting for him.

Everybody in a well functioning team should work hard.

I don’t understand the controversy around Kulu…..

Is he good enough as a starter for a side that wants to be the best in the league? No.

Is he in anyway a problem for us right now with the development and progression of this side? No.

He’s probably the best wife played at the club ATM. We’ll need to build on his position at some point, but not sure how’s he’s become the current scapegoat.

this system is meant to have the oppo pinned in, in which case hes perfect for. the only time hes slacking is when hes picking up the ball in our own half and has nothing on but to run up the other end with it, he cant do it quick enough to leave defenders.
He absolutely isn't as he can't beat at man and to predictable.

Back
Top Bottom