Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the thing with Defoe is that we've all seen him so much that it is disingenuous to judge simply on the 7 goals from 4 games. We all know what to expect from Defoe and that is that he is a good but very flawed player.

Defoe was incredible early last year too, smashing them in for fun. But then he scored 1 goal after New Years. He's frustrating because he's always been so close to being a great player but he isn't and it is too late for him to change.

Overall, he's a club legend and a yiddo but I trust Soldado much more in a big game.

Defoe won't start against west ham obviously, he played 90 mins in Russia and AVB doesn't seem to want to start almost anyone twice in a week if he can avoid it this season. After the international break Defoe may start in the league, but I doubt it. He seems to be trying this season to lose his tag of being selfish and shooting at will regardless of positioning, something I suggest AVB is drilling into the whole team (witness Townsend vs Chelsea) but he's not as good at it as soldado. Really we need to get adebayor back fit to push both of them for a starting spot, when he's on form he's better all-round than Defoe and might give soldado a run for his money

On paper, Defoe is our in form striker at the moment. Soldado (on paper) isn't.

Of course, it's easy to explain away - Soldado has been mainly used in "tough" Prem matches and is lacking service, whilst Defoe has mainly been used in "easier" cup matches.

But is that really a fair reflection of both players performances?

Soldado is obviously a quality striker, that is without question. However (whilst never out of his depth against the teams we have played so far) he appears to need a few easy games to gel with the rest of the team.
Defoe on the other hand has bags of Prem experience and is looking like a man with something to prove.

Is it time that Defoe get's the Prem starts and Soldado gets the "easy" games for a while?
On paper, you may have a point! But for me in reality, Soldado is ripening (movement etc) to the point
when (and he will sooner rather than later) he nets one, then he will become prolific!!

I love JD, as most of us do., But Soldado is a cut above! For me at home. You play both Erikson and Holtby then we will see the best of Bobbie Solider!

This ridiculous insistence on instant gratification is one of my biggest frustrations with modern football.

Last edited:
Twice! If he'd been getting the runs in Europa and the Capital One Cup he'd have bagged a bunch more too I'm sure. It's six games in and we are off to the best start in I don't even know how long, yet people still find things to complain about.

so true.
we won yesterday, another 3pts, another clean sheet is that 9 in 11? ( this is spurs i'm talking about)

7 goals in 4 starts. He may be a flat track bully, but there's plenty of teams in the league who'd give him the opportunity to do just that.
Up until the point you see the level of opposition against which he's managed those 7 goals - i.e. League 2 level, give or take

We have invested around 26m in a quality striker of note - the only way for him to 'embed' into the squad is by playing as many games and minutes as possible. Even Berba took roughly until Christmas before the really got going (in the PL, that is - he was doing well in Europe)

Typical 21st century 'disposable' mentality - throw something away after 2 minutes if it isn't working. No patience, no long term vision - just instant gratification. I want goals NOW. NOW. NOW

Soldado has done very little in a Spurs shirt, and while I appreciate his movement, he needs to start scoring, assisting or at the very least, having the odd shot or my patience will start to wear off.

He has 4 goals

He assisted Sigurdsson against Chelsea, and was heavily involved in the first against Norwich

How do you expect him to start scoring if he isn't playing?

How long do we give a striker in a new team / league / country before you write him off? 4 games?

Up until the point you see the level of opposition against which he's managed those 7 goals - i.e. League 2 level, give or take

Out of interest last season how many of Soldados goals came against Real and Barcelona? And how many against league 2 level spanish sides?

Oh and who were Soldados goals from the spot against in the premiership? (Clue: Not Chelsea or Woolwich)

He has 4 goals

He assisted Sigurdsson against Chelsea, and was heavily involved in the first against Norwich

How do you expect him to start scoring if he isn't playing?

How long do we give a striker in a new team / league / country before you write him off? 4 games?

I havent written him off, I would just like us to rotate....isnt that what we all wanted Harry to do more, and slated him for not doing it (even though he did)

Id like Defoe to start against West Ham for very obvious reasons and have always stated that Soldado is the superior player. But he needs to do more.

Why do forums always have to be "You hate player X and love player Y"

Its a squad. We should use it while Defoe is hot. I never said that Soldado should lose his place, or never feature again.

I havent written him off, I would just like us to rotate....isnt that what we all wanted Harry to do more, and slated him for not doing it (even though he did)

Id like Defoe to start against West Ham for very obvious reasons and have always stated that Soldado is the superior player. But he needs to do more.

Why do forums always have to be "You hate player X and love player Y"

Its a squad. We should use it while Defoe is hot. I never said that Soldado should lose his place, or never feature again.
But we are rotating - hence the reason Defoe is getting games and scoring. If we start him ahead of Soldado on Sunday it means we're doing the opposite

Out of interest last season how many of Soldados goals came against Real and Barcelona? And how many against league 2 level spanish sides?

Oh and who were Soldados goals from the spot against in the premiership? (Clue: Not Chelsea or Woolwich)
Bring back 'Arry

Defoe has always been about Defoe, same as Ade: Its just when a class forward comes to the club they start performing or in Ade's case tweeting. Soldado coming to club has provided wake up call to them and that cannot be a bad thing!!

Defoe has always been about Defoe, same as Ade: Its just when a class forward comes to the club they start performing or in Ade's case tweeting. Soldado coming to club has provided wake up call to them and that cannot be a bad thing!!

Who was the class forward who came to the club during Ade's first season with us? :saha:

I'll just leave this here..........

_40730297_morientes.jpg

Haven't read the whole thread, but I'd give Soldado at least until christmas to get in goalscoring form. Defoe's had several seasons with long periods of shit form - so he's definitely second in pecking order for now.

Who was the class forward who came to the club during Ade's first season with us? :saha:
This is a complete squad makeover everyone has to compete except Hugo perhaps:
In 2011,
Strikers
Emmanuel Adebayor
Jermain Defoe
Giovani Dos Santos
Roman Pavlyuchenko
Souleymane Coulibaly*
Harry Kane#
Cameron Lancaster#
Alex Pritchard#
Lot more strikers there than now: All I am saying is that Defoe had no choice but to respond with arrival of Soldado, Ade well he has responded socially! Soldado has the runs on the board he is consistent.

Back
Top Bottom