Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe has always scored against shit cup opposition, at club and international level.

If he'd managed to prove himself against top opposition he'd have moved to utd long ago........soldado is the man for our big games IMO

Well based on performances this season he's the best striker we have at the club. Theres your context.

well based on performances in the premier league he's fuckn shit

Soldado stuck a brace in against a pub team in Europe too

over the course of their careers Soldado has a better return although his was done in Spain and as we all know that league is crap with abunch of poncy blokes who can't defend properly

Soldado is a better more complete goal scorer and he offers more in the build up, it's not even a fuckn contest

we've labored with Defoe for fuckn ages and the bloke aint good enough, he's a mid-table star player

Soldado has done very little in a Spurs shirt, and while I appreciate his movement, he needs to start scoring, assisting or at the very least, having the odd shot or my patience will start to wear off.

26M
2 penalties
6 shots on target in 6 PL games

Need more.

Id start Defoe against West Ham as he loves playing and scoring against them. The "big team" argument doesnt count for this game.
It's like satuday never happened...

Can you tell me the lottery numbers too please Ramsingh?
255.gif

Does anybody remember last year? Everyone was complaining about how Defoe couldn't pass or link up play. We finally have a striker doing that, we're winning games, only he's just barely missing some half-chances and everyone is complaining. Its like we need to have Cavani or someone else that is a perfect player up front in order to have everyone shut up. Soldado would score against the crap teams too. He showed that in the Georgia game. Would Defoe get the knock down against Norwich, or the assist to Siggy against Chelsea? Probably not. Would he have made both those penalties? Maybe not. Those plays are just as important as scoring and they're why Soldado needs to start.

This ridiculous insistence on instant gratification is one of my biggest frustrations with modern football.

Last edited:
Defoe's been at the club a long time. We know he's not good enough to be the first choice striker for a top 4 team. We know exactly what he is. He's a useful sub, a rotation player, a flat-track bully and a limited striker. He's been very impressive against weak opposition this year and that's bascially what you'd expect of him. Him scoring in a rotated squad proves that he's a good player to have in a rotation squad. I see no reason to believe he's developed as a striker to the level where he's good enough to be first choice.

Soldado's played 6 league games FFS, give him a chance.

I dnt think us losing had anything to do with the strikers, it was a lack of creativity which was eriksen's responsibilty. I must be in the minority but I dnt think soldado is gonna be or should be our long term striking option, I actually thought negredo was a better option nd we just went for soldado coz he was taken. But I do see him scoring goals but not 20 goals a season, we need aleast one of those especially with every team we competing with bar chelsea has one.

a good striker helps open up space for the midfield

a good striker also offers you an outball when under pressure

a good striker doesn't spend most of the match standing next to his marker waiting for a miracle pass

It's not just Soldado not banging in goals against PL opponents. We are struggling to find that last pass often in league games. It's not like Soldado has been missing sitters. While our record is good at the moment, the team is still gelling as a whole, understandably. Against lesser opponents in the Europa League the sheer talent of our players is enough to run over these teams, in the PL it is not. Defoe is scoring at will against Europa teams, Soldado did as well his one chance. Sticking Defoe in the starting 11 in the league is not going to make us more threatning in those games, it will just delay any understanding that will naturally develop between Soldado and the midfields/wingers with time. We are tied for second in the league and have allowed two goals, WITH SEVEN NEW FUCKING PLAYERS FOR FUCKS SAKE! We're only going to get better with time, stop your bleating and get behind the team.

I dnt think us losing had anything to do with the strikers, it was a lack of creativity which was eriksen's responsibilty. I must be in the minority but I dnt think soldado is gonna be or should be our long term striking option, I actually thought negredo was a better option nd we just went for soldado coz he was taken. But I do see him scoring goals but not 20 goals a season, we need aleast one of those especially with every team we competing with bar chelsea has one.

Eriksen looked lost without soldados clever movement in front of him. I'm no defore hater but today showed why he shouldnt be starting games.

On paper, Defoe is our in form striker at the moment. Soldado (on paper) isn't.

Of course, it's easy to explain away - Soldado has been mainly used in "tough" Prem matches and is lacking service, whilst Defoe has mainly been used in "easier" cup matches.

But is that really a fair reflection of both players performances?

Soldado is obviously a quality striker, that is without question. However (whilst never out of his depth against the teams we have played so far) he appears to need a few easy games to gel with the rest of the team.
Defoe on the other hand has bags of Prem experience and is looking like a man with something to prove.

Is it time that Defoe get's the Prem starts and Soldado gets the "easy" games for a while?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom