Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On paper, Defoe is our in form striker at the moment. Soldado (on paper) isn't.

Of course, it's easy to explain away - Soldado has been mainly used in "tough" Prem matches and is lacking service, whilst Defoe has mainly been used in "easier" cup matches.

But is that really a fair reflection of both players performances?

Soldado is obviously a quality striker, that is without question. However (whilst never out of his depth against the teams we have played so far) he appears to need a few easy games to gel with the rest of the team.
Defoe on the other hand has bags of Prem experience and is looking like a man with something to prove.

Is it time that Defoe get's the Prem starts and Soldado gets the "easy" games for a while?

Last edited:
I think Defoe is going to have to start scoring in his substitute appearances to make a real case. His whiff against Palace was really poor. The timing of such an incident in the context of his career could not have been worse.

That having been said, I appreciate the effort he's putting in for the cup games to get back into the league frame, and am rooting for him to pull it all off as I'd like to see him retire at Spurs.

I think Defoe is going to have to start scoring in his substitute appearances to make a real case..
That is sort of the argument I have heard before and the one I was trying to play devils advocate to.
I'm not a raving Defoe fan (and I have asked questions instead of stating this as my opinion) but why should Defoe with goals under his belt, have to prove himself in 15 min sub appearances, when Soldado hasn't really proven himself at Spurs or in the Prem at all?

As I said above, Soldado is a quality striker and is no doubt our future, but it's a fair question I ask.

I think you make a fair point @ Rocky Rocky but as you also wonder, Soldado might need some "easier" league games to find his mojo. So as usual, I trust Andre knows more than all of us lot and will do what he thinks is best.

I think some games call for certain players...
Defoe with his club history/curse of the 'ex' whatever you want to call it, makes PERFECT sense for this game...
But I guess he won't be starting 'cos he played tonight and won't get home until half-past tomorrow!!!

....'cos that's how it works in EL/PL football these days!

Could see the merit of playing Defoe on Sunday as he loves playing against West Ham. But let's not kid ourselves, Defoe throughout his career has gone on these purple patches only to then go 8, 9, 10 games without a goal. That's why we spent so much on Soldado.

I think you make a fair point @ Rocky Rocky but as you also wonder, Soldado might need some "easier" league games to find his mojo. So as usual, I trust Andre knows more than all of us lot and will do what he thinks is best.

Well he did have Palace, Swansea, Norwich & Cardiff for starters!!! Besides, if he's as good as we all hope, then even the 'big boys' won't hold any fear for him!!!!!

I reckon AVB will play Soldado for seventy minutes then have JD on for twenty.

Can you tell me the lottery numbers too please Ramsingh?

1354837198113.jpg

Defoe has always scored against shit cup opposition, at club and international level.

If he'd managed to prove himself against top opposition he'd have moved to utd long ago........soldado is the man for our big games IMO

Defoe has always scored against shit cup opposition, at club and international level.

If he'd managed to prove himself against top opposition he'd have moved to utd long ago........soldado is the man for our big games IMO
True ... Soldado is the bigger and better man.

But, just for once (whether as a reward for his recent performances OR due to his record against Wet Spam) ... I really wanted Defoe to start this Saturday. (For me and probably most here, it's the latter reason)

The combination of his recent form and his record against the Spammers, has given many of us a feeling that he'll surely score against them.

But, having played a full 90 ... I doubt he'll start.

Oh well, I just hope it comes off from bench and scores against the Wet Spammers!

7 goals in 4 starts. He may be a flat track bully, but there's plenty of teams in the league who'd give him the opportunity to do just that.

Soldado has done very little in a Spurs shirt, and while I appreciate his movement, he needs to start scoring, assisting or at the very least, having the odd shot or my patience will start to wear off.

26M
2 penalties
6 shots on target in 6 PL games

Need more.

Id start Defoe against West Ham as he loves playing and scoring against them. The "big team" argument doesnt count for this game.

7 goals in 4 starts. He may be a flat track bully, but there's plenty of teams in the league who'd give him the opportunity to do just that.

Exactly

Its a stat that only an idiot would sniff at.
"He only scores goals" is the dumbest argument I have ever heard...especially when defending a striker who doesnt.

Soldado has done very little in a Spurs shirt, and while I appreciate his movement, he needs to start scoring, assisting or at the very least, having the odd shot or my patience will start to wear off.

26M
2 penalties
6 shots on target in 6 PL games

Need more.

Id start Defoe against West Ham as he loves playing and scoring against them. The "big team" argument doesnt count for this game.
It's like satuday never happened...

Back
Top Bottom