Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The opinions of F365...seems like there is only a select few Spurs fans (probably all of which frequent TFC) that think Soldado has been world class for us so far.

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/8962338/Top-Ten

3. Roberto Soldado

Before Spurs fans get their pants in something of a fizzy tizzy, Soldado hasn't been awful. But when you sign a cheque for £26million for the striker that is set to alleviate all of a club's striking woes, you do expect a greater return than two penalties by mid-October.

Despite looking to have replaced Gareth Bale's threat more than adequately during the summer, there is no doubt that Spurs are struggling offensively. Six goals in seven games is a total lower than 13 Premier League teams, and Andre Villas-Boas must find a solution.

As I wrote after the West Ham defeat on Sunday, an answer may lie in playing two up front and demanding more patience from midfield, but the fact remains that, for now, Soldado must be firmly filed under 'underwhelming'.

The opinions of F365...seems like there is only a select few Spurs fans (probably all of which frequent TFC) that think Soldado has been world class for us so far.

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/8962338/Top-Ten

3. Roberto Soldado

Before Spurs fans get their pants in something of a fizzy tizzy, Soldado hasn't been awful. But when you sign a cheque for £26million for the striker that is set to alleviate all of a club's striking woes, you do expect a greater return than two penalties by mid-October.

Despite looking to have replaced Gareth Bale's threat more than adequately during the summer, there is no doubt that Spurs are struggling offensively. Six goals in seven games is a total lower than 13 Premier League teams, and Andre Villas-Boas must find a solution.

As I wrote after the West Ham defeat on Sunday, an answer may lie in playing two up front and demanding more patience from midfield, but the fact remains that, for now, Soldado must be firmly filed under 'underwhelming'.
I'm going to regret asking this, but could you show me where Spurs fans have said this?

Isn't F365 essentially a blog?

i.e. personal opinion-based articles - if so - fair enough but that 'list' is as subjective as anything. Some clownshoe doesn't rate him because he hasn't earnt him enough fantasy league points - do jog with this instant gratification attitude of contemporary yoof culture, I say. The boy will come good and we need to support him more than looking for chinks in his armour

Isn't F365 essentially a blog?

i.e. personal opinion-based articles - if so - fair enough but that 'list' is as subjective as anything. Some clownshoe doesn't rate him because he hasn't earnt him enough fantasy league points - do jog with this instant gratification attitude of contemporary yoof culture, I say. The boy will come good and we need to support him more than looking for chinks in his armour
it's the same as here, forum, blog, etc.

it's the same as here, forum, blog, etc.
That's what I meant - essentially it's a reference to another 'thread' elsewhere - no more or less valid than anything written on here. Hence why I find the 'TFC' reference a little unfair since both are opinion-based pieces

Each player has his own merits, I prefer Soldado as I consider him to be a more accomplished player, something that will become evident the more he plays.

I like Defoe because of his obvious love of Spurs, the fans and the fact that he will never let a game pass him by without at least attempting to have an influence. He just isn't intelligent enough (a player) otherwise he would have worked on his shortcomings five years ago, and improved upon them.

Against Villa we will stick one up top, that player should be Soldado.

Soldado would have spent 1.5 weeks training with the kids and non international players while JD has been training with the cream of English footballers and playing against some of the best footballers in the world.
Both of them will have a point to prove after the break.

So my guess is he will play Adebayor.

I'm going to regret asking this, but could you show me where Spurs fans have said this?

Cant be bothered to trawl through the whole site, but alot of people are excusing Soldado doing very, very little in matches due to his "world class movement", which in their eyes, is the reason Paulinho and Siggy and others have been playing well and scoring.

Its also ok for a 26M striker to not score, or shoot, or header, or meet crosses, or hold the ball up, or backtrack, or run with the ball, or create, due to this "world class movement".

In fact, this "world class movement" or WCM, is sooooooo good, that it was Defoe's fault that the midfield slept while West Ham put it in our bum for 90 minutes the other day.

This WCM was also so good, that Townsend and Chadli actually FORGOT!!! to cross the ball for like SIX league games in a row, until Sunday, when the team remembered to put the ball in the box and Defoe, being shit, did not meet the crosses (where Soldado would have banged in 4 goals, as proven by his outstanding display of flare and endevour when he was eventually brought on. He would have made more of a huge impact, but alas, we went 442, and Defoe ruined EVERYTHING)

Please note: Soldado not being able to show his "WCM" cos he was on the bench, was also responsible for Eriksen suddenly becoming totally lost, and uncreative against West Ham. You know, Eriksen that has only ever played about 3 games in his ENTIRE LIFE TIME behind Soldado.

Thats the power of "WCM"....when its not there, other players forget they were born. And thats what we paid 26M for, but please....please do not mention his price tag.

It is irrelevent, because.....because....because.....Youtube

Cant be bothered to trawl through the whole site, but alot of people are excusing Soldado doing very, very little in matches due to his "world class movement", which in their eyes, is the reason Paulinho and Siggy and others have been playing well and scoring.

Its also ok for a 26M striker to not score, or shoot, or header, or meet crosses, or hold the ball up, or backtrack, or run with the ball, or create, due to this "world class movement".

In fact, this "world class movement" or WCM, is sooooooo good, that it was Defoe's fault that the midfield slept while West Ham put it in our bum for 90 minutes the other day.

This WCM was also so good, that Townsend and Chadli actually FORGOT!!! to cross the ball for like SIX league games in a row, until Sunday, when the team remembered to put the ball in the box and Defoe, being shit, did not meet the crosses (where Soldado would have banged in 4 goals, as proven by his outstanding display of flare and endevour when he was eventually brought on. He would have made more of a huge impact, but alas, we went 442, and Defoe ruined EVERYTHING.

Please note: Soldado not being able to show his "WCM" cos he was on the bench, was also responsible for Eriksen suddenly becoming totally lost, and uncreative against West Ham. You know, Eriksen that has only ever played about 3 games in his ENTIRE LIFE TIME behind Soldado.

Thats the power of "WCM"....when its not there, other players forget they were born. And thats what we paid 26M for, but please....please do not mention his price tag.

It is irrelevent, because.....because....because.....Youtube
I agree to an extent. In terms of merit, Defoe has done what has been asked of him. He has scored when selected, Soldado's movement and understanding with Sig and Eriksen is pretty good, goals against Norwich and Chelsea being cases in point.

Would Soldado have got on the end of those crosses on Sunday? No one really knows that.

Would Soldado have got on the end of those crosses on Sunday? No one really knows that.

He may or may not, but one things for sure, no one would have said shit, had he not.

I remember him completely missing the ball from one cross, where a header would have been a nice idea. When Defoe comes on late, he is accused of not taking his chance, and making no impact. With Soldado, he didnt have time etc.

I also mentioned that Soldado does not steam into the box like Defoe as MAYBE being why the wingers dont whip in as many crosses when he plays....

"Nonsense!" they cried...."BullShit" they hollered!!

Soldado's movement is world class, how can that be?? So again, I guess its actually all Townsend's fault that Soldado doesnt score. Who knows..

Defoe should have buried the game in the 48th minute. That sitter would have changed everything. He was wasteful, but at the end of the day, he made the keeper work I think 3 times. Thats 50% of Soldado's shots on target for six games.

Dembele, Eriksen, Walker, Siggy, Naughton were all cack, and even Paulinho was hesitant and restricted. The wrong subs were made by AVB, and those who came on did fuck all. But thats ok, because it was all Defoes fault.

Just sick of favourites/scapegoat mentality.

He may or may not, but one things for sure, no one would have said shit, had he not.

I remember him completely missing the ball from one cross, where a header would have been a nice idea. When Defoe comes on late, he is accused of not taking his chance, and making no impact. With Soldado, he didnt have time etc.

I also mentioned that Soldado does not steam into the box like Defoe as MAYBE being why the wingers dont whip in as many crosses when he plays....

"Nonsense!" they cried...."BullShit" they hollered!!

Soldado's movement is world class, how can that be?? So again, I guess its actually all Townsend's fault that Soldado doesnt score. Who knows..

Defoe should have buried the game in the 48th minute. That sitter would have changed everything. He was wasteful, but at the end of the day, he made the keeper work I think 3 times. Thats 50% of Soldado's shots on target for six games.

Dembele, Eriksen, Walker, Siggy, Naughton were all cack, and even Paulinho was hesitant and restricted. The wrong subs were made by AVB, and those who came on did fuck all. But thats ok, because it was all Defoes fault.

Just sick of favourites/scapegoat mentality.
I was with you until you said people said it was all Defoe's fault, I haven't read anyone say this. If someone on here has said that then they need to have a word with themselves.

Paulinho did good in the first half, as did Townsend. Allardyce changed it around, AVB was slow to respond, by the time AVB did respond, we were 2-0 down. That's by the by anyway.

One also has to try to comprehend how much time it will take for our new 'foreign' signings to adjust to playing in the EPL. 30m Lamela included (who is being gradually introduced by AVB). Expectations are a difficult thing to quantify, do we expect too much from our new players because they are older and more experienced and should adapt better and quicker according to us the armchair experts! I believe Eriksen is 21, young in the big scheme of things, but still expected to match it with others who are older and more wiser than him. Personally I think we very fortunate that these new players have come to our club and want to win the club some overdue honors, it must be difficult to move into a new playing environment which is a lot more demanding. Encouragement in the form of ongoing positive support is required and that should be provided by all.

One also has to try to comprehend how much time it will take for our new 'foreign' signings to adjust to playing in the EPL. 30m Lamela included (who is being gradually introduced by AVB). Expectations are a difficult thing to quantify, do we expect too much from our new players because they are older and more experienced and should adapt better and quicker according to us the armchair experts! I believe Eriksen is 21, young in the big scheme of things, but still expected to match it with others who are older and more wiser than him. Personally I think we very fortunate that these new players have come to our club and want to win the club some overdue honors, it must be difficult to move into a new playing environment which is a lot more demanding. Encouragement in the form of ongoing positive support is required and that should be provided by all.

And then when they have been a fantastic servant of the club playing for them for several years only then can you be allowed to constantly slag them off and spout urban myths .

I was with you until you said people said it was all Defoe's fault, I haven't read anyone say this.

Maybe you should have read those pages you dissed! And while no one says the exact words "I blame Defoe for this"....I think the sentiment is pretty clear...there is more, but whats the point

Defoe is a B-team player. He's had his chances over the years- AVB is retarded to drop Soldado for him today

What a shame Defoe had to prove his detractors correct, yet again.

I'm not convinced by Soldado YET, its like having our own torres all link-up play no goals. But he does seem like the lesser of two evils, so he has to start every game from now on unless Ade does some damage.

Just the fact that Soldado can judge a teams offside trap means he's infinitely more useful to his team mates whether he's scoring or not as they can actually pass the ball to him without giving away a freekick.

there was really no need to change the system other than to squeeze in an increasingly mouthy Defoe

Eriksen looked lost without soldados clever movement in front of him. I'm no defore hater but today showed why he shouldnt be starting games.

a good striker doesn't spend most of the match standing next to his marker waiting for a miracle pass

Soldado, Is top draw! His movement First Class! It has nothing to do with him!

Defoe is a no no

Really didn't understand this decision today the more I think about it, hope it hasn't had a negative effect on Soldado, as if there wasn't enough pressure on him already.

Back
Top Bottom