Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And then when they have been a fantastic servant of the club playing for them for several years only then can you be allowed to constantly slag them off and spout urban myths .
As with everything, a person must recognise their limitations and adjust accordingly

Expectations are a difficult thing to quantify, do we expect too much from our new players

Personally, I would expect more than 6 shots on target in 6 games, from Kane, so I dont see why I shouldnt expect more from Soldado.

I do expect more. Alot more. I wouldnt care if I could say, "ahhhh he's been so unlucky, its coming soon". But I cant. I see alot less from him than I do Adebayor when he plays, yet people think its fine because Soldado "moves well".

To be honest, I think that has been blown out of all proportion too.

I've massively criticised Defoe in the past, for not reading the offside trap enough, or for taking a shot on when a pass is the better option.

But with him, at least you know what you are getting, he may be limited in his build up play, but he does hold the ball up well when it's played into his feet. If you get him facing goal anywhere within 35 yards, he is able to create his own chance with that trademarked half-yard shift to the right and shot.

It may be predictable, but its effective.

Soldado may prove to be an all round better striker for us, but as of right now.... he's not done much has he....?

On the face of it, Roberto Soldado and Jermain Defoe are very similar players

When the first sentence is so far off the truth, it does'nt inspire you to read on.

On the face of it, Roberto Soldado and Jermain Defoe are very similar players

When the first sentence is so far off the truth, it does'nt inspire you to read on.

The fact you think they are different type of players shows how much Soldado actually is. They are similar type of players, just Soldafo offers a lot more.

The fact you think they are different type of players shows how much Soldado actually is. They are similar type of players, just Soldafo offers a lot more.

They are nothing like each other, and it depends what you mean by "alot more".

Defoe offered 3 shots on target in one PL game.
Soldado offered 6 in 6 PL games..

Soldado is a clever player, but Im not sure what he's offered in abundance for us

To me he drops deep and creates for himself, by running with the ball, sometimes as far back as the halfway line. He can score with both feet, has a pretty ferocious shot, and will shoot on site, rather than pick the pass, even if he should pass it.

He can hold the ball up well, turn a player, and his runs are usually made with the thought of recieving the pass than creating space for others. He's selfish, but it works for him.

He is also a hard worker, and tracks back and defends. He is rubbish in the air, and rarely gets on the end of crosses, or hits volleys.

Have'nt once said he is better than Soldado, before you start creaming one off, but have no idea how he can be seen as similar to a player who scored every single goal for an entire season, from inside the 18 yard box, most on the end of a cross.

To me he drops deep and creates for himself, by running with the ball, sometimes as far back as the halfway line. He can score with both feet, has a pretty ferocious shot, and will shoot on site, rather than pick the pass, even if he should pass it.

He can hold the ball up well, turn a player, and his runs are usually made with the thought of recieving the pass than creating space for others. He's selfish, but it works for him.

He is also a hard worker, and tracks back and defends. He is rubbish in the air, and rarely gets on the end of crosses, or hits volleys.

Have'nt once said he is better than Soldado, before you start creaming one off, but have no idea how he can be seen as similar to a player who scored every single goal from insode the 18 yard box, most on the end of a cross.

If you'd read my article ( :avbdamn: ) you'd have seen that Defoe scored 10 out of his 11 PL goals last year inside the 18 yard box too.

I take your point though and I agree (and mention) that he's more likely to create for himself.

But in essence they *are* similar - predatory penalty area players who want to get room for a shot. They just do it in different ways, and that's why Soldado's better - he doesn't take a shot on when a team mate is better placed. He has that awareness and decision-making that Defoe's always lacked.

And it doesn't mean he scores fewer goals as a result - in fact, he scores more. Probably because where Defoe take on a shot from the edge of the box, Soldado shifts it wide, then gets away from his marker and prods home from a cross. Simplistic way of looking at it, I know, but element of truth? I reckon so.

They couldn't be more different as players. Soldado plays as your solitary spearhead attacker , back to goal, looking to link play . In the box has peditory instincts ( he can mix it). Defoe doesn't have that football brain to play same. Defoe needs a player along side to balance his play. Where he decides to be singleminded the other forward will link up play. HR played crouch with Defoe. Ade was too similar to work. Lesser teams Defoe is at his best. I would stick with Soldado up front.

Last edited:
townsend will score 31 goals this season so who needs strikers? he just signed a four year contract it's not like he's going anywhere...:levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom