Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 'losing the ball' stat is misleading, and a prime example of why stats aren't always the best measuring stick.

As has been said, Rose was the one trying to make things happen. He was adventurous and aggressive, and looked like the Rose of old. Long may it continue.

Stats are for the Totti Totti s of this world

tenor.gif

He lost possession TWENTY ONE times last night and managed to win it back just the once. Absolutely woeful in possession.

Cannot fault his desire though and aggression whilst with the ball at his feet. Always willing to take on his man, which is always good against defences like that. But he simply needs to do better when in possession.

I mentioned it yesterday but when Rose was at his true best a few years back, I don't remember him being so poor with his passing (not just crosses and end product), but actual possession. His passes are either underhit or he simply just gives the ball away.

It came to me of late that Rose is like a defensive version of Matt Ritchie of Newcastle.

I’m not sold on Rose’s final ball, but he’s excellent defensively and is one of our faster players. Although he doesn’t seem able to play twice a week, I don’t feel upgrading on Rose/Davies is a big priority compared to centre mid, right back, and another attacking player.

It seemed to me that against Brighton we had 1 FB ( Danny) who tried to take on his man repeatedly and failed.

The other FB (Tripps) tried to cross the ball instead of trying to beat his man and also failed repeatedly.

Even if he did (which I don't think he did to be fair), people need to understand that he wasn't being sloppy with his passing, he was trying to make stuff happen. I think Danny had a really good game yesterday, he definitely played his part when we needed him

This x 1000. I’m ok with attacking players losing the ball in the final third if they are trying to set a player free, it’s the short middle of the park passes where concentration seems to slip that infuriates me.

Or maybe bigger clubs are not interested in Sol Campbell as a manager because he comes across as an annoying and clueless dickhead, but of course Rose sees racism in it.
I do honestly think it's both. Yes he comes across as an annoying, clueless dickhead. But white, annoying, clueless dickheads who got that many England caps and titles tend to walk into management jobs they're not remotely qualified for way quicker than Sol did.

I mean it's simply not true sure the vast amount of English managers are white but that could be something to do with the fact it's a mainly white country? And there are black managers who have got first gigs at the top end Henry, Moore at WBA, Viera is at Nice, Seedorf was at Milan. And plenty more black ex pros go into football in other aspects such as punditry and backroom staff. Also Hughton at Brighton has consistently been at the top end due to simply being good at his job.

I like Rose but he needs to stop with finding racism everywhere. I doubt any club in this country would turn a qualified black coach down just because he's black

Last edited:
Rose is a professional footballer earning a seriously huge amount of money for playing football, that's his day job. He has every right to speak up about what he perceives as racism, but that shouldn't impact on his day job and clearly it has. What's worse is that like most 'outraged' individuals far to often he gets the facts wrong. The UK has a 3.3% black population, in fact there are twice as many Asians as their are Blacks where's there outrage? The Black population is massively over represented in the professional football business. With 92 clubs the statistically expected number of black managers would be 3, how many are there? Well in 2018 there were 4 ... on the pitch some 25% of all professional players are black, eight times the statistical expectation, does anyone complain about over representation? of course quite rightly they do not ... so saying black managers and players are not given a fair chance? That just simply isn't true.

As for as his stance against racist fans, huge respect, just wish he wouldn't do a media piece before every big Spurs and England game, sure that's the time it has the most impact, but how about doing it the day after not the days before? Respect is a two way street, wish he'd show a bit more to his club and its fans.

Good luck to Danny and his 'crusade' hope he takes it elsewhere next season as we upgrade at LB.

Population of England and Wales

Last edited:
Rose is a professional footballer earning a seriously huge amount of money for playing football, that's his day job. He has every right to speak up about what he perceives as racism, but that shouldn't impact on his day job and clearly it has. What's worse is that like most 'outraged' individuals far to often he gets the facts wrong. The UK has a 3.3% black population, in fact there are twice as many Asians as their are Blacks where's there outrage? The Black population is massively over represented in the professional football business. With 92 clubs the statistically expected number of black managers would be 3, how many are there? Well in 2018 there were 4 ... on the pitch some 25% of all professional players are black, eight times the statistical expectation, does anyone complain about over representation? of course quite rightly they do not ... so saying black managers and players are not given a fair chance? That just simply isn't true.

As for as his stance against racist fans, huge respect, just wish he wouldn't do a media piece before every big Spurs and England game, sure that's the time it has the most impact, but how about doing it the day after not the days before? Respect is a two way street, wish he'd show a bit more to his club and its fans.

Good luck to Danny and his 'crusade' hope he takes it elsewhere next season as we upgrade at LB.

Population of England and Wales
As ever you're wrong and it sprouts from your ignorance. There is a race problem in football and Danny Rose has every right to call it out. Fair play to him.

Since 1990, one in four – just under 25 per cent – of retired England international footballers have been black or from an ethnic minority background (BAME). But of those ex-players who have subsequently gone into a management job, that drops to just one in seven. We’re defining a management job as a club in one of the top five divisions in England, or a big-five league or international side in Europe.

As ever you're wrong and it sprouts from your ignorance. There is a race problem in football and Danny Rose has every right to call it out. Fair play to him.

Since 1990, one in four – just under 25 per cent – of retired England international footballers have been black or from an ethnic minority background (BAME). But of those ex-players who have subsequently gone into a management job, that drops to just one in seven. We’re defining a management job as a club in one of the top five divisions in England, or a big-five league or international side in Europe.

What utter bollocks ... sometimes you outdo yourself with drivel ....

I never denied there was a race issue with some football fans ... nor did I say Danny was wrong to call it out ... what I said was his 'crusade' was in danger of adversely impacting on his performance and that of his club. Repeatedly risking taking the focus away from the football just before big games is not his role, as a professional that shouldn't happen ... right time and right place seem to elude Danny completely ... only he knows the reasons.

As for your second point? since the late 20th century 97% of the UK retired workforce have been white ... so does your logic indicate that only whites should only be employed as 97% of the current UK workforce? That's thankfully utterly absurd logic, and can be binned out of hand.

Positive discrimination is almost as big a racist cancer as negative discrimination ... why are 25% of all professional footballers in the UK black? Is it because we are all racists and won't employ white footballers? Well I don't think that's the the case ... So is it perhaps because on genuine merit they are better players? there you go ...

Same applies in any walk of life ... don't give me the job because of the colour of my skin, give me the job because I'm the best ....

I would take any manager black, green. pink, orange even a feckin' alien as a manager if he was the best at his job ... and so probably would 90% of football clubs in the UK

To even imply otherwise shows your racial prejudice not theirs ......

Back
Top Bottom