Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's very easy for us white british males, a denomination I believe the majority of us that are commenting fall in to, to dismiss what he's saying as being a drama queen, as we'll never experience what it's like to receive abuse or be discriminated against because our skin is a darker shade.

I don't really see how we're in a position where anything we say on the subject has much credibility, to be honest. We just don't have any comprehension of what it must be like to be able to judge whether he's being over the top or if what he's saying is a legitimate response to what he has experienced. We might think we know, and we're bound to have views on the subject, but to decide a person who is going through that is reacting in the wrong way doesn't sit right with me.

Spurs' Rose 'uncomfortable' with headlines over future - Football365

Spurs’ Rose ‘uncomfortable’ with headlines over future
Date published: Thursday 11th April 2019 11:19

Tottenham defender Danny Rose has been grateful for the support he received in the wake of comments he made last week about his future in the game.

Rose said that he has “had enough” and “can’t wait” to quit football because of the way racism was handled in the sport.

Those remarkable quotes came following the abuse he received while playing for England in Montenegro, where Rose admitted he was expecting to be targeted.

The 28-year-old unsurprisingly hit the headlines and he has welcomed the response.

“Obviously it’s been great,” he said. “Despite what people think, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the headlines.

“But it is an unfortunate thing that’s happening now in football. We saw it at the weekend in the Championship, and it looks like it’s something that’s creeping back in.

“I had some great support throughout the week, and I hope that once the season’s finished people can sit down and discuss how to eradicate these unfortunate things that are happening now in football.

“It’s a shame, really. But I’ve had some great support and would like to thank everyone who’s shown me that support.”

Rose was in action for the first time since his revelation as Spurs beat Manchester City 1-0 in the Champions League quarter-final first leg on Tuesday.

The full-back gave away a first-half penalty, which VAR awarded, but saw Sergio Aguero’s spot-kick saved by Hugo Lloris.

Spurs won the game near the end as Son Heung-min gave his side the advantage going into next week’s second leg in Manchester.

Son, who also scored the first goal at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last week, made it two wins from two in their new home and Rose thinks it could become a fortress.

“Last week when we played Palace, the atmosphere was brilliant,” he said.

“And when Hugo saved the penalty, my ears were buzzing because of the fans and how loud it was.

“The plan is to get the stadium back to being a fortress. If you remember the last season at the old White Hart Lane, we were unbeaten. That’s the plan now.

“To make it a fortress again, and make sure teams know that when they come here they’re going to be in for a game.

“Thank you to the fans for making the first two games at the new stadium very memorable.”

One away goal at the Etihad Stadium could put Spurs right in the driving seat and Rose thinks they will go and attack.

“It’s not in the manager’s DNA to sit back and soak up pressure and hit teams on the counter-attack,” Rose said.

“That’s not his game. He wants us to show our identity from the first minute, and it’ll be the same.

“We’ll go there to try and win. That’ll be the plan. He wants everybody to show their character, whether we’re losing or winning.

“And I can tell everybody now the plan will be not to go there and sit back. Because that’s not him.

“That’s not us. The tie’s not over, and we’ll go there next week fully looking to win the game and progress to the semi-finals.”

He lost possession TWENTY ONE times last night and managed to win it back just the once. Absolutely woeful in possession.

Cannot fault his desire though and aggression whilst with the ball at his feet. Always willing to take on his man, which is always good against defences like that. But he simply needs to do better when in possession.

I mentioned it yesterday but when Rose was at his true best a few years back, I don't remember him being so poor with his passing (not just crosses and end product), but actual possession. His passes are either underhit or he simply just gives the ball away.

I thought he was good going forward but he didn't do much once he got there.
That’s the life of an attacking fullback. He was getting into the positions and getting back when he had to- not often last night to be honest.
I thought he did really well and kept our attacks flowing. It’s so hard to put in pinpoint crosses at the best of times. When there are 17-18 people in the box it’s almost impossible

He lost possession TWENTY ONE times last night and managed to win it back just the once. Absolutely woeful in possession.

Cannot fault his desire though and aggression whilst with the ball at his feet. Always willing to take on his man, which is always good against defences like that. But he simply needs to do better when in possession.

I mentioned it yesterday but when Rose was at his true best a few years back, I don't remember him being so poor with his passing (not just crosses and end product), but actual possession. His passes are either underhit or he simply just gives the ball away.
Does that include crosses ? If so that's a bit of a misleading stat

I don't remember him losing the ball 21 times last night. I do remember the superb recovery tackle in our area after he gave the ball away.

As BHA were so intent on grabbing a point, Rose found himself in their half a lot of the time receiving passes out wide from Wanyama or Vertonghen. There were lots of interplays with Dele, Lucas, Son and Eriksen on the edge of their area that came to nothing. I think this is where the 'lost possession' stats came from.

Aggressive and uncompromising. Never willing to give up. In my view he was our best player last night

I don't remember him losing the ball 21 times last night. I do remember the superb recovery tackle in our area after he gave the ball away.

As BHA were so intent on grabbing a point, Rose found himself in their half a lot of the time receiving passes out wide from Wanyama or Vertonghen. There were lots of interplays with Dele, Lucas, Son and Eriksen on the edge of their area that came to nothing. I think this is where the 'lost possession' stats came from.

Aggressive and uncompromising. Never willing to give up. In my view he was our best player last night
Yep, he and Eriksen were our two best IMO.

I thought his application was one of total commitment, he also was the only player really looking to play with tempo. He was relentless last night. Oh and that recovering tackle, 10/10!!

No idea where those lost possession stats include, crosses, drawing fouls (is there a player on our team that collects as many for the team, Dele?).

Yep, he and Eriksen were our two best IMO.

I thought his application was one of total commitment, he also was the only player really looking to play with tempo. He was relentless last night. Oh and that recovering tackle, 10/10!!

No idea where those lost possession stats include, crosses, drawing fouls (is there a player on our team that collects as many for the team, Dele?).

I'm sure it was those short 5m interplays with Dele, Son, Eriksen, on the edge of their area.

I've no problem with him losing posession there, 80m from our goal. At least it proves he was trying to do something creative.

I've a feeling he's coming back to his best of a couple of years ago when Walker/Rose were the benchmarks for wingbacks.

Sessegnon for me. Bring the kid in and make him understudy to Davies & Rose whilst giving him the opportunity to perhaps make it in the forward areas based on his progression. It's the perfect move for him & for us. A genuine threat & talent who can play in our cup games and the occasional league game when we play 3 at the back. Two positions covered with one signing who's homegrown

If we go for Sessegnon, it would be for Lamela.

Sessegnon is no defender.

If we go for Sessegnon, it would be for Lamela.

Sessegnon is no defender.

I'd bring him in purely knowing he could develop into one or the other. He's 18 years of age, he still has much to learn but homegrown, multi positions and a high ceiling for me he's simply worthntaking a gamble on. I have no idea where he'll end up but the fact he can help out all the way down the left side if need be means I would go for him.

Wan-Bissaka was a winger before he settled at RB, I'd just see how he gets on and go from there but at first I make you right it'll be in attack where he offers most value

Rose did not lose the ball 21 times

I don’t give a toss what shit fuck website said he did, or what criteria it used to compile its shit stats. It didn’t happen.

Even if he did (which I don't think he did to be fair), people need to understand that he wasn't being sloppy with his passing, he was trying to make stuff happen. I think Danny had a really good game yesterday, he definitely played his part when we needed him

I'm sure it was those short 5m interplays with Dele, Son, Eriksen, on the edge of their area.

I've no problem with him losing posession there, 80m from our goal. At least it proves he was trying to do something creative.

I've a feeling he's coming back to his best of a couple of years ago when Walker/Rose were the benchmarks for wingbacks.
One thing i’ve Noticed recently is he seems far more positive with his words. For me he is one of a negative disposition, this could be confused as a straight talking Yorkshireman but in his most recent interview he’s saying “why not” when asked about us winning the CL. A couple of years ago he thought we had no chance of being in the top 4.

I'd bring him in purely knowing he could develop into one or the other. He's 18 years of age, he still has much to learn but homegrown, multi positions and a high ceiling for me he's simply worthntaking a gamble on. I have no idea where he'll end up but the fact he can help out all the way down the left side if need be means I would go for him.

Wan-Bissaka was a winger before he settled at RB, I'd just see how he gets on and go from there but at first I make you right it'll be in attack where he offers most value

Agreed.

Raid Fulham. Levy should be looking to authorise bringing in Sessegnon and Mitrovic as understudy to Kane.

Even if he did (which I don't think he did to be fair), people need to understand that he wasn't being sloppy with his passing, he was trying to make stuff happen. I think Danny had a really good game yesterday, he definitely played his part when we needed him

He has taken more people on in the past 4-5 games than most, if not all, of our players. He is showing signs of the old aggressive Rose, which is a welcome sight. If he can remain healthy, I want him back next year. I know his crossing can improve, but he makes defenses think.

Back
Top Bottom