Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently it was Pochettino who didn't want Barkley this window.
Also the only teams who’ll be spending is then teams trying to stay up, using one of either parachute or PL money, and clubs like Man U, City and maybe & Chelsea.
Liverpool suddenly spend nearly 3 times the usual net spend over how many seasons, 8?
Tells me they can only afford £75m for VVD becuase they will be selling.
If they don’t I’ll be surprised. I don’t think they are seeing that much profit from theirnextension yet.
They spent less than we did last season and the same the season before.
We are never going to be able to spend like City and Man U or pay their wages.
We are like most clubs. Even Chelsea who before Conte we spending £10m and selling to buy.
If you count Costa sale the spent £75m last two seasons. Sold £231m bought £306m

We could improve our match day income with the new place, but it’s all about sponsorship/commercial and TV revenue with the others.
We are about £60m down on both on Woolwich & Liverpool
City got £53m matchday income compare to our £41m 15/16, yet they got £178 in sponsorship And £160m in TV revenue.
We got £59m and £110m
That £170m extra makes a difference. 3 players on 150k is £23m a season.
You can only spend and pay what you earn.
When we we become a consistent CL side and raise our matchdaynrevenue we can compete with Woolwich, Liverpool and raise our wage bill. But we are never going to compete with the two mancs, unless we get bought by Qatar.
Thats a nice long post and well written but you talk a lot about not being able to compete with the likes of City, United, Chavs and so on in the transfer market. But in terms of net expenditure we aint even competing with Burnley, Huddersfield, Bournmouth and West Brom, while Poch has openly criticised our dithering, blubbering transfer policy on more than one occassion. Our overall income far outweighs 14 of the other 19 Pl clubs yet our overall net spend is lower than all of them. None of us is asking for a Leeds Utd approach. But a lot of us can see why Poch feels rightly pissed off by his lack of support from the owners

They should give out trophies for the most short sighted fans.

If you can't see how improving our facilities and our stadium will increase and cement our chances of success for the foreseeable future then this is a pointless argument.

Its take it you've not got a mortgage or a pension? Don't believe in investing in the future?
It will only make a fraction of difference as the ethos at the higher level is to restrictive , run without emotion .
When very little changes we will still eat the scraps .

Thats a nice long post and well written but you talk a lot about not being able to compete with the likes of City, United, Chavs and so on in the transfer market. But in terms of net expenditure we aint even competing with Burnley, Huddersfield, Bournmouth and West Brom, while Poch has openly criticised our dithering, blubbering transfer policy on more than one occassion. Our overall income far outweighs 14 of the other 19 Pl clubs yet our overall net spend is lower than all of them. None of us is asking for a Leeds Utd approach. But a lot of us can see why Poch feels rightly pissed off by his lack of support from the owners
Our new stadium is gonna cost around the same as 7 clubs entire squads combined though...

Our new stadium is gonna cost around the same as 7 clubs entire squads combined though...
Nail on head, yet again. I feel like we do this conversation twice a week, really. Spurs are building a club and the infrastructure that goes with it, while everyone else is spunking the Sky/sponsorship/oil cash on a squad. Because we understand that once the oil money and tv revenue is gone/comes back to earth we'll still have foundations to fall back on while others will wonder where it all went. Sports leagues across the world and throughout the spectrum are about to feel the crunch that the Tele providers are experiencing - streaming is digging in big time on the revenue streams of live sport, thus contracts will dip upon renegotiation.

It's all well and good clubs are blowing their windfall on perishable players...where will they be in 5 years time? Where are Everton now?

Last edited:
It's shocking how very few people are able to get this. Spend doesn't mean doing a Leeds.

To people responding with the stadium costs: Transfers safe despite rebuilding, Levy tells fans

ENIC have done plenty of good things, but they are still operating an outdated transfer model risking Spurs left behind while everyone else moves forward. How many times in the past ten years were we super close but not quite there because of the lack of 1-2 players.

It's shocking how very few people are able to get this. Spend doesn't mean doing a Leeds.
To people responding with the stadium costs: Transfers safe despite rebuilding, Levy tells fans
ENIC have done plenty of good things, but they are still operating an outdated transfer model risking Spurs left behind while everyone else moves forward. How many times in the past ten years were we super close but not quite there because of the lack of 1-2 players.
latest

Time will tell.

I'm pretty sure John and cru where mewling about being left behind in the transfer window by Swansea and Everton.

I'm also pretty sure that Levy knows how to run a buisness better than all of us on here combined.

Short term goals over long term success.
I reckon I'll be supporting Spurs till the day I die so I know what I would take.

maybe the owners have no spare cash because they aint finished paying archway steel's legal bills?
I seem to recall some deluded idiot suggesting that was the case

no. spending what you dont have risks doing a leeds. or a portsmouth. or even an us, in the 1990s. cause we went bloody close then. or a chelsea. more recently, who had applied to go into administration before the russian bought them (with no due dilligence)

as for transfer policy not being affected by the stadium build, it isnt. transfer policy at the current time is £1(or there abouts ) out=£1 in. Low net spend. therefore, the stadium build doesnt affect the transfers in. the transfers out do.
It's not ideal, but stadiums dont come cheap, and neither do training grounds that are so good, that the national team uses it rather than their own purpose built training centre. (and one that is still being improved on)
other operating profits go towards the stadium and training ground(and so strictly speaking, aint profits).. to quote a famous meerkat, "simples"

the new stadium and training ground are required to stop us being left behind. because without them, we will be a mid table club forever..we are currently punching above our weight (6th highest wage bill)

The worst thing Levy did was to say that the stadium build wouldn’t effect transfers when it was obvious it would. And has.

In what way?

We spent £80,000,000 in the summer.and spent £70,000,000 the previous summer. Smashing our record transfer fee's twice as well as spending a lot more on wages.

The only other season we've ever spent more in one summer then the past two years is the year we sold Gareth Bale and spent over £100,000,000

In what way?

We spent £80,000,000 in the summer.and spent £70,000,000 the previous summer. Smashing our record transfer fee's twice as well as spending a lot more on wages.

The only other season we've ever spent more in one summer then the past two years is the year we sold Gareth Bale and spent over £100,000,000
I’d say our spending in comparison to the other clubs in the league has dropped since the announcement of the stadium. Don’t have the facts to back it up, just seems that way to me. I’d be pretty sure every team in the league smashed their records in the last couple of years too.

We didn’t used to have one of the lowest spends in the league, but we do now.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s obvious. It’s planning for a massive investment. I just don’t think levy should have said it wouldn’t effect us. If we aren’t effected by the stadium and training centre bill, we should be spending three times what we do. But we are, so we don’t.

In what way?

Yes. But we only spend what we recoup in player sales.
So, in effect, there is no transfer budget.
If you sold your car for £10,000 and got a new one for £10,000 you wouldn't have used any of your pre-disposable income to make the purchase. You've really just swapped cars

Last edited:
If you sold your car for £10,000 and got a new one for £10,000 you wouldn't have used any of your pre-disposable income to make the purchase. You've really just swapped cars

I would call that a great business model! :levyeyes::sonpoint:

yep. because all spare money is going to the stadium . so levy was telling the truth when he said all of the physical building works wouldnt effect the transfer budget.

so why did you disagree when i said pretty much the same thing in this very thread (post #4569)

or did you disagree on the bit about spending money you dont have risks doing a leeds or portsmouth?
cos thats why they did a leeds or portsmouth. they spent money they didnt have and got into debt doing it. couldnt pay it back, fire sales of players, into administration, dropped points and relegations.

You forgot to mention he wants away from the club

Does he though?

He made one stupid, ill advised interview to that rag but has come out since saying he’s happy

Love him as a player but not the sharpest pencil in the box!

Back
Top Bottom