Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was out all day. Mate texted me to say Romero was out for the whole January.

Not sure if it was a dream or psychic abilities but I thought it had already been confirmed this was the case.

Was thinking I was turning into Nostradamus then realised it might just be the effects of too much Christmas “cheer”.

What day is it???

Mickey back mid January though I read earlier

I feel sorry for him, social media wants him to come in and solve our injury crisis yet no-one knows if he's good enough or not.
Begs the question as to why he was signed if he's not good enough.

The rush to sign him and get him to join the tour suggested he was going to play a role in the squad but so far no evidence of that.

The rush to sign him and get him to join the tour suggested he was going to play a role in the squad but so far no evidence of that.

Anyone expecting this young man to come in at 18 and be ready to play regular CB for a top 4 team was on crack.

Was at best 6th in line for a starting place. Crazy we are talking about him starting.

Hoping up see him play for the u23s next year. (After watching them v Leeds didn’t think Dorrington looked ready for a premier league game either)

Not that doesn't beg any question at all 😆

He's 18, did he sign a 12 month contract or a 5 year contract?

Anyone expecting this young man to come in at 18 and be ready to play regular CB for a top 4 team was on crack.

Was at best 6th in line for a starting place. Crazy we are talking about him starting.

Hoping up see him play for the u23s next year. (After watching them v Leeds didn’t think Dorrington looked ready for a premier league game either)
There are always half a dozen nut jobs who think the answer to any injury crisis is to throw in the academy lads. Not just at centre back but in any position.

As though those that actually manage the development of these players haven’t already thought of that and decided against it for very good reason.

They excercise before a game, can do the same during excessive VAR checks. Fans reckon the hanging around can possible be a reason for hamstring pulls etc so if excercise helps eg keep muscles etc warm and flexible why not?
I don’t think it makes much difference tbh, the break probably helps them rehydrate if anything. I just don’t think players will fancy exercising during a break in the game, it’ll go down like a lead ballon with them. A bit of stretching and keeping moving is probably fair enough.

Romero somewhat quietly has a very poor availability record. Has yet to play 30 PL matches in 3 seasons and looking like he’ll miss that mark again.

For a foundational CB, it’s just not good enough.

Romero somewhat quietly has a very poor availability record. Has yet to play 30 PL matches in 3 seasons and looking like he’ll miss that mark again.

For a foundational CB, it’s just not good enough.
20 or 25 games a season Romero is still worth having though. And if the back ups were better, no-one would get worked up about it.

If it's 'not good enough', what do you propose?
Sell?
Try harder? From the outside, he appears highly committed under Ange. No doubt he is acutely aware of his disciplinary and injury record. I just see him as a Pepe / Ramos character and accept this is him.

The only sensible option here is to buy another top centre back to compete and provide cover, something it looks like we are attempting to do.

20 or 25 games a season Romero is still worth having though. And if the back ups were better, no-one would get worked up about it.

If it's 'not good enough', what do you propose?
Sell?
Try harder? From the outside, he appears highly committed under Ange. No doubt he is acutely aware of his disciplinary and injury record. I just see him as a Pepe / Ramos character and accept this is him.

The only sensible option here is to buy another top centre back to compete and provide cover, something it looks like we are attempting to do.

We should be looking for a player to rival him to push him or eventually take over his spot, if he can't stay fit and can't stay disciplined then if we are a serious club we should be looking to replace him at some point.

I've not seen the lad play so I really don't know how good or bad he is but surely Ashley Phillips could be considered in the starting eleven tomorrow? He is a 'proper' centre back after all and is surely more mobile that Dier. He has the height and energy and he's trained in Ange's system. I get he's young, but in the circumstances does that matter? I suppose if Ange thinks he's up to it then he will start - otherwise I think he'll play Dier for his height and CB experience.
These are exactly the kind of circumstances that youngsters often get their first big break. Of course he really could be just that bad in training for Ange to prefer Emerson, who are we to say.

Back
Top Bottom