Colchester United v Tottenham Hotspur (24-09-19) (7.45pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looking to hand in my resignation anyway..

So when my cunty smug cunt line manager (Liverpool fan from Tiptree) opens with

“What happened last night”

I’ll be in a great position to leave the company approximately 10 seconds after that comment

tenor.gif

This was my first away match since Ajax due to various family stuff that have kept me rather tied up until now. I guess it’s games like this that make nights like Amsterdam so utterly amazing.

The traffic beforehand resulted in me being in the car for 5.5 hours overall. And for a shit fucking insult of a performance in a shocking plastic stadium in a crap hole of a nothing location. Thanks Spurs.

This match deserves to be filed with most of the 90s - when I first became a STH - i.e. in the ‘as bad as it gets’ section. Weirdly, I still just enjoyed being at the game and seeing some of the youngsters. But this performance was an absolute pile of shite, verging on the unforgivable.

Several things bother me. Firstly, what kind of bullshit mentality has a club like ours de-prioritising trophies under some kind of arrogant pretext that we’re focusing more on more major trophies? As if serial winners like Man Utd, Victims, Chavs ever turn their noses up on league cups or indeed any cups. Winning breeds winning. Look at City’s approach and mentality tonight. So different.

Secondly, our model and approach looks totally spent now. The intense focus on data is only getting us so far. The culture, togetherness and overall mentality of the team and this squad is simply not good enough, and it’s not creating winners.

We need a big change and we have to realise that we are missing something fundamental in our mentality that keeps us from getting close to the next level.

We need a major injection of fresh ideas, positivity and drive from somewhere. I hope Poch has it in him but this season just looks like we’re completely shell shocked from last year still.

No point commenting on the players really, except to say that I think Parrott should have been tested with the opportunity of a full 90 minutes, and that Dier showed some class coming to us at the end despite the miserable night.

Once it got to the penalty shoot-out I was pretty certain we were going out. Just had no confidence whatsoever that they could out-score Colchester in a shoot-out. Colchester. I didn't believe we could beat Colchester. Of League 2. Five of our first-team lining up to take penalties against a League 2 team looked absurd, and to then actually lose is one of the poorest things I've seen a Spurs side do.

Things are rough at the mo.

Fed up beyond words, but can't say we deserved to go through, that was a pretty poor show.

We need to bounce back on Saturday, otherwise Bayern Munich game is going to be a blood bath.

Not much else to say, but work is going to be fun tomorrow - NOT!

Back
Top Bottom