Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In his world you have a valuation and you have to be willing to walk away if it is exceeded, you don't get sucked into a bidding war. I think he has taken that approach with him into football.
I don't disagree. It's the same the world over. You have a price you are willing to pay for the commodity you want to buy (note the word "want"). If you can't afford it, you dismiss it or save up for it. If you bargain for it, you know your limit. However, 3 bids on deadline day suggests he went in thinking he was in a strong bargaining position. He wasn't & Peace pulled his trousers down at his own game. He ought to have made his position clear ages before & left himself time to scope other options if he decided to walk away having made his highest bid. What is ridiculous is keep going back with a few quid more each time just before the shop shuts. Surely he has learned not to play games like this by now? That was a rhetorical question by the way.

Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch.
That's a great philosophy... Right up to the point that Kane is utterly ruined by playing across four competitions without relief... T'riffic.

Tomo Tomo It's the most irritating thing about this forum. Bloke makes idiotic comment - another bloke calls him out - 1st bloke runs for the hills and pretends it never happened. But it did. Stand up and defend your point if you believed in it in the first place. Fucking idiots.

Chadli is in and out so is Eriksen so where are they going to come from?

Ive heard that Chadli is better than Kane up front

I find it funny how people assume Son and N'Jie can't do a job for us up top despite having never seen them before.

I find it funny how people assume they can, on the same basis

I deliberately avoided the sports news yesterday, as I had a feeling that it was going to be a damp squib.

You mean damp squid surely

:troll:

Also, when Ade was ditched and despite it being obvious Poch did not want to play Soldado and he was going to be ditched too, we never saw 15 or 20mins of Chadli or Dembele up front when Kane was totally fucked and had to come off did we?

Excellent point. When did Poch realise that Chadli and Lamela could play striker? When he realised he'd been fucked up the arse over his target striker I guess...

Yes, we really wanted Berahino as a wide forward...is that why we already spent £34M on wide forwards.....to play them as strikers (but not Berahino as a striker)......even though the players we already had "can do a job as striker"?

:dempsey:

bullshitometer.gif

I don't think we were in for Pato. His agents said we were, but they also linked other clubs.

We were in for Martial, Son, N'Jie, Batshuayi, Werner and Berahino during the course of the summer. Got 2 of them. Are all of them players who have experience as a centre forward? No. But they all were forwards who could play either wide or up front, and have a lot of pace. I think that was the criteria. Berahino was the last acceptable target on our list that we either hadn't signed or been clearly rejected from. So we just kept pounding on that door.

Pochettino has been clear that he wants only the exact players he asks for, and won't play substitutes. We went for only players he wanted, and did not pursue substitutes.

That comes with the risk of getting nothing. He knew that, Levy knew that. Now we see if that approach is going to work out or not.

Fair enough we will see if it works out. My main point though is we still had weeks left in the window when Poch said we were actively looking for another striker (specifically he said that numerous times and that we would be bringing someone in) So to end up coming off with egg on your face and then saying it was part of the plan after all is nonsense.

Frankly, I am tired of discussing the end of our transfer window because it is all water under the bridge now. We did do some very good things this transfer window it was not a disaster by any stretch. However, we handled some things poorly in particular our pursuit of cover for Kane.

Not singling you out but some on here seem to defend EVERYTHING the club does. There has been more good than bad for the most part the last decade. However, there have been a number of mistakes made as well. We wouldn't have been through 3 managers and over a dozen players in the last few years if everything we did was perfect..

From who?

Not the fans as he doesn't give a fuck!

Levy will only come under pressure if we're still in the bottom half of the table in December as his and Enic's investment might be threatened and then he'll sack Pooch and then our season will virtually be over!

And then the new manager will want different players in the January window and a new plan will unfold, maybe a new philosophy and then Levy won't back him next Summer window so this time next year we'll be where we are now and this will continue ad finitum ad nauseam until we get rid of this cunt and his investors for good!

Then we might have our Spurs back but I believe in pink elephants too!

Dont really want Levy gone but I agree with the rest of it.

After the cataclysmic destruction of our heroic CL set up, and trying to get us to Stratford, Im running out of excuses.

Modric and Bale replaced with championship garbage and the ins and outs of managers who range from clueless to amature. Gone from thrilling and jaw dropping to gutless, confusing suffocatingly sterile football, where most of our attacks go back to the halfway line, rather than take a shot.

To dare is to what? Pass backwards because you are a shitter?

The youth the youth! How very romantic......problem is we have children where we once had Parker, VDV and Modric. Spend 10 years breaking into the top 4, to dismantle the entire thing and "build for the future"...

Fuck off....AVB was the next level I was told....as stupidly stubborn as he was, he still wasnt backed with his own signings, which sounds like ground hog day to me.

Oh my fucking days, I just want to rip my brain out when I think about it. And to think some cunts are loving this "era".

Fucking trial and error, hit and hope shambles. Cliched or not, I genuinely preferred it when we were mid table.

I wouldn't have wanted that cunt anywhere near the club tbh but you did ask. And there wasn't a lot between us and them before they sold out. Actually they were about a month away from doing a Leeds.

They were yes, the jammy cunts gambled all their cash to get into the top 6 regularly and then he came along and bailed them out. Not a lot between us I can agree with, but we hadn't finished in the top 6 since the late 80's and they had made a habit of it.

Just trying to add some perspective to the conversation really. Anyone would think ENIC/Lecy have been the death of this club reading on here but far from it, even if there are some glaring errors in there. I'm not saying they have been fantastic but have overall probably done more good than bad. It is a shame that the bad happened at a time when we could have really pushed on and became a force (Saha/Nelsen window, after first CL qualification)

- We have left ourselves in a position very similar to almost every club in the league around us. We're no different.

Id be more worried (not to mention a massive bell end) if i was a goon. Their first team is thinner than ours in a lot of areas, with a terrible injury record. We were the fittest team in the league last year. Weeks and weeks without a single squad player out due to injury.

Add to that a number of very exciting prospects to call on in the cups. If only one out of Pritchard, Alli, Winks, Veljkovic, Onomah has the type of breakthrough season that Mason or Kane had last year then we are in a much healthier position than most would suggest.

Can't lie and say that i wouldn't have been happy to see Witsel or Berahino come in. They didn't. So we move on and keep the faith.

The point you miss is not that we should have paid 30M for him.

But we should have bid for him 7wks before our first bid on August 18. We should have known very soon after July 1st whether we could sign him or not. Then we could have moved on another target.

People acting like Spurs are a victim here, because WBA didnt sell us their player.
i think some people just wont accept criticism of the club.
left with 1 striker & still some defend the club.
its unreal.
its amazing how many people have a weird issue about accepting criticism.

At the start of the window, posters on here with serious misgivings about ENIC and posters who thought ENIC were doing a decent job, all seemed to agree that we needed a striker and a DM.
We got neither.

Now we have the pro-ENIC posters saying that the window was still a success, that having two strikers is over rated and that strikers at other clubs in the top 4 aren't in fact strikers.

Yet more proof that you can never be wrong on the internet.

Then you have the people whose opinions exist outside of this place and its polar discussions who would have been happy to see another striker and a DM come in, but realise that the window wasn't as bad as some would like to make out.

Absolutely get that BUT there is still the implication that Poch insisting on getting a midfielder and a striker early - which is entirely hypothetical. He stated get business done early. We got business done early.

I think far too much emphasis is placed on the hype around Jim White's Transfer Deadline Day Yellow Tie Roadshow and we forget what's been done in May, June, July, etc

You seem to have white washed us missing out on Berahino (3 times on deadline day) from your memory.

Of the early signings, one was for the first team. A CB, which was arguably the least of our troubles, as the shoddy defence started with the holes in central midfield. Three of our best performers last season (Rose, Dier and Lloris) were at the back.
The problems started in front of them, so our early signing of Toby, was actually our least priority.

The other two are squad fillers.

You only have to look at our targets to know that we wanted a striker and DM....why do the goal posts keep moving?

We have 3pts from 4 games. We have scored 3 goals. Mason, Kane and Dier are not fit, and Bentaleb has lost the plot. I dont know why people keep trying to deny that our window has left us short, even with the sigings.

Out of the five, one has played, and on the pitch we have already struggled and had no options.
And people are trying to claim this is exactly how Poch wanted it.

“We have players like Chadli and Lamela, and now Njié, who can play like a striker but I think we need one more striker to be sure for different games."
Pochettino

How will you explain away that? Is it because he´s Argentinian and doesnt know what he´s saying? Or are you going to continue with the false notion that Son is a striker?

Last edited:
Some more grist for the mill...

Finally it is the end of the 2015 summer transfer window. I sound relieved don’t I? The transfer window doesn’t just take its toll on managers, players and executives, but the fans as well. The constant wheel of speculation and rumours is just as exciting as it is draining. Immediately after the transfer window closed on Tuesday, the criticism of Daniel Levy was coming in thick and fast. The general consensus was that Levy had failed to adequately bolster the squad this summer. In recent days Levy has been criticised from every corner, adding fuel to the ‘Levy out” brigade. However, is this criticism really fair?

Let’s first look at the positives of the transfer window for Tottenham. We have strengthened one of the worst defences of last season, by bringing in Toby Alderwiereld, Kieran Trippier and Kevin Wimmer. Alderwiereld, last season, proved himself as one of the best centre-backs in the Premier League, and his arrival in N17 has been seen somewhat as a coup considering the shortage of quality centre-backs on the market. Trippier adds depth and quality to what was a problem position last summer, and his arrival will hopefully force an improvement in Kyle Walker’s performances this season. Wimmer is an unknown quantity, but he is young, has potential and gives us another option as a natural left-footer in the centre of defence. Mauricio Pochettino was desperate for his side to improve defensively this season, and it seems as if he has got his first choice targets to now fulfil his wish. The Club also added two young attackers in Heung-Min Son and Clinton N’Jie from Bayern Leverkusen and Lyon respectively. Both are touted as being exciting, direct, pacey young forwards who have a penchant for creating and scoring goals. For many fans, this is exactly what the side was missing last season. Although, their impact will of course depend on just how quickly they can settle into a new country, culture and league.

Apart from bringing new players in, the Club also engaged in a mass fire sale this summer which saw nine first-team players leave, including two of the most expensive flops in the Club’s history, Paulinho and Roberto Soldado. The majority of these nine had severely disappointed during their spells at the Club. Daniel Levy took the unprecedented step of selling many of these players at a loss, taking a combined £23.2 million hit on Soldado and Paulinho. Levy did this to help Pochettino, who wanted a much thinner squad this season. However, there was much frustration that the Club missed out on signing a defensive midfielder and a striker, with moves for Victor Wanyama and Saido Berainho both hitting brick walls. Some fans resorted to calling for the return of free agent, Dimitar Berbatov, such was their desperation to see the Club bring in some support for Harry Kane. Levy was castigated by fans, journalists, celebrity footballers and everybody else who wanted to jump on to the ‘Levy out’ bandwagon for this perceived failure.

Levy, since becoming Chairman of Tottenham in 2001, has overseen, and been responsible for, the transition of the Club from being lowly league finishers, to being one of the best financially run clubs in world football and being regulars in European competitions. To add to that, Levy has built a world-class training ground, and has overseen the initial development process of a new 56,000 seater stadium, that he promises will take the Club to the ‘next level’. These achievements are sadly overlooked, especially during the transfer window when fans get frustrated that Levy fails to spend the vast sums that our rivals do. Levy certainly has his faults, of that there can be no doubt. However, he is learning from past mistakes. For example, he has completely revamped the Club’s recruitment setup that has previously cost Tottenham so dearly. Furthermore, this summer Levy decided not to pay over the odds and not to panic buy. These have been pivotal mistakes that he has made in the past, which have set the Club’s development back. Just look to the 2013 summer transfer window as evidence. Pochettino’s philosophy is that it is better to wait until the right players become available at the right price, and Levy is now buying into that. There is now a long-term vision at the Club, shared by the Chairman and the Head Coach. This is something that should be celebrated by every Tottenham fan. Levy is frustrating, but he has done a huge amount for this football club and he is slowly learning from his mistakes, which will help the Club improve in the long-term. You only need to look back to the reign of Alan Sugar before criticising him too much.

Lay off Levy - SpursWeb - Tottenham Hotspur News

Its all very reasonable until you factor in 4 things. (1) Harry is knackered. (2) Its only his second ever season as undisputed no.9 & he has all the added pressure of coming off a stellar first season (3) We're going to be playing an absolute ton of games, including Harry turning out for England in competitive matches (4) with all of the back strikers being small and lightweight we're going to have to show some as yet unseen finesse because knocking it direct as we have been is going to see the ball pinging back at us at a very uncomfortable rate.

After calming down a bit since yesterday i've decided to not be angry with only having one striker until i've seen how this goes. Who knows, maybe it will play out just fine with Son and N'jie playing striker role once in a while and turnout to be real goal machines.

Or we'll play shite and Poch is sacked by december :pochwtf:

Apparently that doesn't matter. If he was our #1 target we should pay whatever the cost is. If we don't it's considered a failure.

The point you miss is not that we should have paid 30M for him.

But we should have bid for him 7wks before our first bid on August 18. We should have known very soon after July 1st whether we could sign him or not. Then we could have moved on another target.

People acting like Spurs are a victim here, because WBA didnt sell us their player.

Saido Berahino softens on strike threat as Spurs' Daniel Levy hits out at Jeremy Peace

Peace is understood to have kept Pulis, Berahino and Tottenham in the dark for much of the negotiations by failing to take and return phone calls, but found the time to publicise the fact he had turned down a transfer request and Levy’s offers.

Aug 18
Riiiinnnnnggggg Riiiiiiinnnngggggg
Levy: No answer......

Aug 19
Levy: No answer.......

Aug 28

Aug 30

Sept 1, 17.50

Sept 1, 18.05
Levy: Sorry Mauricio, he's not for sale

I deliberately avoided the sports news yesterday, as I had a feeling that it was going to be a damp squib. We just have to get on with it now, and hope that we don't have any serious injuries to key players. And putting on my 'glass half full' hat, at least we won't have to worry about Berahino being a waste of money!

Because, even though he isn't a player we NEED, he would be a good addition to the squad for the right price.

You really believe that so the club will pull any dick we don't really need over to Spurs. Let's buy players we don't need after all THFC is a charity.

:adelol:

Back
Top Bottom