Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a question as to where the start ( reset ) line is drawn with ENIC. Only compared to Sugar's dark days does their record stand up compared to any point in the last 35-40 years.

They took over in late 2001. It took them a few years to move the club from mid table & seven years to win a trophy & it's been 7 years now since we won a trophy. So let's assume 7 years to be a "cycle"

The period between 97 & 01 were, I feel, our lowest years ( maybe as well 93/94 ) these were Sugar days and sadly a period we are trying trying to get over & his 1 trophy in 99 masked little of how chronic it was. But roll back 7 years from the point of Sugars arrival & you have a record that reads. 1 FA Cup win, 1 Further FA Cup Final, 2 top 3 finishes ( serious title pushes ) 2 more top 6 finishes ( 4th & 6th I think need to check ) UEFA Quarter Final in 85....& at the time we had serious issues with managers, chairmen, debt & we're trying to rebuild post Burkinshaw era.

I think one of the worst things about ENIC is they are portraying us as the plucky under dog. We were never than before. We were a huge club underachieving or we were the balls out swaggering THFC the club that was the greatest team of the 20th Century. Maybe I am too romantic, but no amount of Cheatski money or dirty Middle East money changes that fact, we just seem to have a board that fail to really believe just how majestic Spurs are & that 4th really is simply not good enough. Even if you don't win, try everything to do so.

By the way, I think it's ridiculous how some people are calling Poch a puppet. Poch doesn't take shit from Levy. Levy gave him two second rate players, he sent him a message by not playing them(whether it was right or wrong) and they were gone next summer.
if poch isnt a puppet, then its very worrying he is ok with 1 striker.

I did, yet berahino is not an out and out striker is he. Like he said they have to be more than the Austin type. He wanted him but said he doesn't accept we only have one striker as his definition of a striker is different, like Rodriguez. He feels goals should come from more than just one position. Read the post
Oh come on - Berahino was seen as another CF. How many wide AM's do we need? Just accept the point.

we just seem to have a board that fail to really believe just how majestic Spurs are & that 4th really is simply not good enough. Even if you don't win, try everything to do so.

I think one of the worst things about ENIC is they are portraying us as the plucky under dog.

Totally agree.

This nauseating mantra ingrained into this club from the top of the boardroom to the fans that 4th spot is as difficult to reach as winning the quadruple. All forgetting the years we were only 1 or 2 pts off it.

Even Jol pushed a better Woolwich to the last game. We lost because we were sick, but here we are, "much improved" yet we should wait "2 years to gel and then see". Two years, are you fucking kidding me. You think Pochettino will be here in two years???

He didnt get his players, so he will not achieve his targets, which means he will be fired.

Im fucking sick of it...we've been in transition for 90% of the last 15 years, and the one time we got it right, we poured petrol on it and set it alight.

1. It's not one persons job. Not Levy. Not AVB. Not Mitchell. Not Poch. It's a team effort. Scouts included.
2. To say Levy doesn't show a semblance of being good at transfers is mad, considering our rise in league positions during his tenure and stature of players to have come through the club compared to previous owners.

This is hard to put into words so sorry it's long winded....but the reason we improved under ENIC is not better "scouting" or Levy's genius. It was as obvious as simply increasing squad depth. No more, no less.

Between 97 & 03 we had some fantastic first team players, but very poor squad depth. ENIC working to the Lyon model (worth researching that ) simply reduced the top level wages & then spread the money they set aside for more wages across more squad talent. They have done the same ever since. For example our squad has Davies, Trippier, Fazio for 80k as opposed to 1 x premium star on 80k a week.

So to state again, at Spurs there is a low threshold on our top earners and loads of players on middle to lower ( comparative) wages within the squad. The light bulb seemed to go on with Frank Arsensen's appointment. It was immediately a fairly ( fairly ) successful model and had remained as such for a decade.

But like all things the model needs to adapt to retain 5/6 spot. The mid level clubs can now have top level players on big money, but no squad depth ( look at the last Transfer window @ Stoke, Swansea, WBA and others for clear examples ) This current situation is the same as the 90's where the likes of Boro had a few big names and no squads. All they had to do was avoid injuries and luck and bang success followed.

I feel that to adapt now THFC need to do the reverse of what they did 10 years ago and invest again in some top level wages, the tricky part is they also must retain the squad depth otherwise the net result / risk is that Stoke, Swansea,WBA with that bit of luck or better us. However, I don't see any adaption coming soon from ENIC as our investment money for football is not increasing.

A large portion of the TV money & other wider revenue our Club generates is taken by ENIC out of the club holdings & used to increase non football asset, like property in and around the stadium.

When the time is right, and it's already begun, the property will be sold off by ENIC at a huge profit of which our team will not see a penny.

during the next few years ENIC will be borrowing £400 million + to pay for a Stadium we actually don't need ( take a deep breath here...we do not need a 61,000 seater stadium ) except if you do the sums their should be almost no reason to borrow such massive amounts, the money is there three fold already....unless of course it's been spent elsewhere !!!

For example anyone remember the "loan" of 50 million ENIC made to the club a few years ago ? ? ? Anyone able to explain how that works ? A club is debt free, so the owners lend it 50 million at pepper corn rates...at the same time Bulls Crosd cost 50 million funny enough....

The final net result come the new stadium wifi be a huge debt we don't currently. A bang average team due to under investment competitive to the market and a Stadium ENIC are equally happy to rent out to NFL / U2 concerts or God knows what before it's sold off or they make THFC a tenant in their stadium !

Daniel Levy is a Land Economist by the way, not just Mr Buyrite. The property was also the deal. Never the football. The football is a necessary evil.

I also feel we need to clear up the Bale money fallacy as that distorts how good/bad ENIC have been. Real paid a smallish sum up front and the rest of the debt was spread over 5 years ( as Levy himself once said they still owed us Modric money when Bale was sold ) this part payment and then installments Is how 99.9% of transfers work. ( and God Alone knows what Jeremy Pearce's problem was last week )

So we @!THFC would not have "Spent" the Bale money all in 2013. They might have sanctioned a % of the initial payment, but I guarantee the board would both haveeven committed half of the final total of Bale's sale towards first team players ( given there are at least two more big payments left )

It's all Spin designed to stop us noticing that the world is not flat.

Last edited:
He said he didn't accept that having one striker was a problem - read the post.
I did, yet berahino is not an out and out striker is he. Like he said they have to be more than the Austin type. He wanted him but said he doesn't accept we only have one striker as his definition of a striker is different, like Rodriguez. He feels goals should come from more than just one position. Read the post

Daniel & Mauricio provide us with a... - Tottenham Hotspur | Facebook

“At the end of last season Mauricio was clear what we needed to do and what we certainly shouldn’t do”, said Daniel. “He wanted to streamline the squad, strengthen it and retain the ability to develop the talent we already had. Importantly, we also needed to keep our key players.

“That meant reducing the squad number, improving the team defensively and adding exciting attacking forwards. It also meant that if we couldn’t secure the few key targets we wanted, we wouldn’t just add others. And we needed to keep the space for our current players to flourish.”

This summer we moved early to secure our targets and were able to conclude the acquisitions of Dele Alli from Milton Keynes (to join us this July), Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid (on loan last season at Southampton), Kieran Trippier from Burnley and Kevin Wimmer from Cologne.

We went on to add Clinton Njie from Olympique Lyonnais and Heung-Min Son from Bayer Leverkusen.

Aaron Lennon, Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Lewis Holtby, Benjamin Stambouli, Vlad Chiriches and Younes Kaboul departed the Club over the summer months and we wish them well for the future.

Mauricio said, “I look at our squad and I know we have worked well to shape it. Strengthening our defence was a priority given the number of goals we conceded last season. Toby, Kevin and Kieran add depth and quality.

“In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

“All of them had impressive seasons in their respective leagues last season and we are excited about their potential alongside that of our current players.

“I have been very clear that we would only add players that we felt would improve us and if any one player was not possible then I prefer we do not add for the sake of it. Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward.”

Daniel added, “We have never, as a Club, spoken about another team’s players and I am not about to do so now. However, I do want to make a few general points regarding transfers.

“Firstly, there is hardly a transfer concluded across Europe which doesn’t include staged payments. This is particularly so when significant amounts such as £20m-£30m are involved - players don’t come cheaply these days.

“Secondly, we do not make anything personal. None of the proposals, discussions or negotiations we undertake involve any personal elements or ego - everything we do is in the interest of what is best for our Club.

“Thirdly, we never make anything public, particularly in the best interests of the players involved. Making aspects such as transfer requests public is wholly disrespectful to a player.

“Our pragmatic player trading has been important in the way we have run the business of the Club and in getting us to the position where we have now been able to start work on a new stadium - the one thing that has the ability to take this Club to the next level of competitiveness. I make no apologies for being ambitious for our Club and looking to deliver future success for our fans.

“This season," underlined Mauricio, “we start with a combination of our own players who have come through the ranks and players that bring skills and experience from other leagues. Most importantly, it’s a squad of players with heart - it’s a squad I’m proud to field.”
Level ball head, yuh deh pon skunt . A wad di rass clot yuh a chat bout.
Natty luv Walter Tull , nu samfy mam

I am still pissed off at the club for not getting a striker but I fucking agree with the statements about the publicity about transfers. There were people on here applauding WBA about the publicity of the transfer negotiations. I fully agree with the statement. I don't think it was Levy's intention to mess with Berahino's head. But I am sure it was WBA's intention to fuck with us by going public. Also if they are going to go public about some things about the transfer fucking right other stuff will come out which they don't like.

Ive heard that Chadli is better than Kane up front... When did Poch realise that Chadli and Lamela could play striker?
...even though the players we already had "can do a job as striker"?

In my mind, being able to 'do a job' as a striker, is helping out for the final 10 mins of a match if need be, when the game is safe and Harry is taken off to rapturous applause... or at most being able to cover for the remainder of the game IF Harry HAS to come off...
It's NOT being expected to complete a 45+ game season as our only other striking option! You need to be a recognised striker to pull that off!

We (not you specifically) moan we have a Chairman that hides in his office and doesn't pick up the phone. Then he releases a statement and we (again not you specifically) moan about the contents of said statement.

He's not going to address everyone's questions unfortunately, it's not a Q&A. I personally thought, even though you can assume if you want it's bullshit, that it was good of the club to confirm their transfer activity.

It won't keep everyone happy. Signing Berahino wouldn't have kept everyone happy. But it does allow you to understand their position, and certainly makes both Levy and Poch more open to negativity by making the claims they have.

Id rather he addressed the teams weaknesses than addressed the fans, to explain why he didnt address the teams weaknesses.

Heard it all before. Could have written it myself now....I know the transfer speech off by heart.

If its not a left winger we need, its a striker. If its not a RB, its a CB . We need a winger to play our narrow system? Have 6 of the fuckers but still no defensive mid.

Swap the positions, and keep the problem.

Next summer, add goalkeeper and playmaker to the list.

I'll write you a speech for that one at the end of the season..

All that would have made some sense, if we weren't ready to pay a whooping £20m a few days ago for Saido fooking Berahino.

Actually screw that - even then it wouldn't have made fuck all sense.

There is no excuse for leaving business so late, ever. Nor is there any excuse for using talent promotion as a sorry red heering, when in fact all of our most progressive talents are midfielders (of which we are overstocked in the primary first team squad) and not forwards.

It's a shithousery of a statment, pure damage control.

Last edited:
This is hard to put into words so sorry it's long winded.
I feel the need to reply to this as if anyone reads it they might actually believe all the assertions, half truths and lies contained in it.

A large portion of the TV money & other wider revenue our Club generates is taken by ENIC out of the club holdings & used to increase non football asset, like property in and around the stadium.

Where is your evidence for this? If you mean the property held in Tottenham. This is not owned by THFC, but by TH Property LTD. The debt is not owned or paid for by THFC, so why should we profit from it? Are they dirty tax dodgers? Sure. Are they stealing from Spurs? No. Please provide some evidence instead of assertions.

For example anyone remember the "loan" of 50 million ENIC made to the club a few years ago ? ? ? Anyone able to explain how that works ? A club is debt free, so the owners lend it 50 million at pepper corn rates...at the same time Bulls Crosd cost 50 million funny enough
What happened is ENIC loaned the club 50 million which they then converted into shares. So effectively they invested 50 million in the company, the thieves! The club was in debt at this point (2013). It is no longer in debt. Presumably due to all the money ENIC have been filtering out?

THFC a tenant in their stadium !
Just pure hysteria.

So we @!THFC would not have "Spent" the Bale money all in 2013. They might have sanctioned a % of the initial payment, but I guarantee the board would both haveeven committed half of the final total of Bale's sale towards first team players ( given there are at least two more big payments left )
A very bizarre thing to claim. Both sales and purchases are done in instalments. So this point is entirely irrelevant. Are you claiming that the prices we paid for the players we bought were made up? There are quite clear accounts for that crazy transfer window, and they show a profit from all the transfers of £933,000 including future payments and repayments.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man. But this one is very half-baked and damaging to our club. Stick to 911 or the moon landings in future,

Last edited:
So weak.

I miss when twats were worth burying. Honestly, I can't even muster a dry fart of pretending I couldn't care.

For shame.

You must be an original get along. No one else would be so poor.
I can't believe the guy who just said to me "I hate your mum" is accusing me of having weak comebacks.

What's done is done. Either you're happy with our dealings in the transfer market or you're not. Time to get behind them and do our bit as "supporters" and follow them every step of the way.

We should probably concentrate a bit more on getting behind the team now rather than bitching at one and other!

I'd like to give this 10 agrees please..

Back
Top Bottom