Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anybody who thinks that Levy and ENIC will be going anywhere the season before the new TV deal starts are living in dreamland.

Based on what exactly? We were a mid table premier league club. In 2001, who was going to buy Spurs and turn them into Champions League winners?

A Russian Jew called Roman maybe?

Cain might have been able.

Anyone with some real ambition would have been preferable to these land grabbers.

Audere Audere I think they've taken us as far as they can now btw, without real investment on the pitchwe'll never break the dominance of the top 4 and its clear they aren't going to do that. We just have to hope we reap the rewards of what they have set up in the future. A long but frustrating game to play unfortunately.

A Russian Jew called Roman maybe?

Cain might have been able.

Anyone with some real ambition would have been preferable to these land grabbers.

Chelsea were regulars in the top 6 when he bought them. He took over because they were already in the Champions League. It's shit but it's also true.

Chelsea were regulars in the top 6 when he bought them. He took over because they were already in the Champions League. It's shit but it's also true.

I wouldn't have wanted that cunt anywhere near the club tbh but you did ask. And there wasn't a lot between us and them before they sold out. Actually they were about a month away from doing a Leeds.

Audere Audere I think they've taken us as far as they can now btw, without real investment on the pitchwe'll never break the dominance of the top 4 and its clear they aren't going to do that. We just have to hope we reap the rewards of what they have set up in the future. A long but frustrating game to play unfortunately.

Unfortunately the most likely scenario is we get sold to someone in a Glazier style finance deal and the cycle will continue till they make their/our debt back.

Hmmm, I bet most people in most countries know the name Tottenham Hotspur though. Only 12 clubs in history have won more major European trophies (CL/European cup, UEFA Cup/Europa and the Cup Winners) than us.

Not in any way saying, we're not a big club. But giant is pushing it way, way too much, if that's what we're basing our expectations on as fans. I'm as proud of the history as anyone, but still.

I'm from Denmark, where there's traditionally a strong interest in English football. People with footballing interest do know Tottenham, but anyone below, say 30 or 40 years old know us in the same way, they know Villa or Newcastle. Anyone with a more peripheral football knowledge/interest will know United, Pool, Woolwich, Chavs and maybe City. They might even say, oh yeah I've heard of Spurs. Call it plastic all you like, but unless we want to sell our soul to a sheik then that broader global exposure is what we need to compete at the very top.

I wouldn't have wanted that cunt anywhere near the club tbh but you did ask. And there wasn't a lot between us and them before they sold out. Actually they were about a month away from doing a Leeds.

They were yes, the jammy cunts gambled all their cash to get into the top 6 regularly and then he came along and bailed them out. Not a lot between us I can agree with, but we hadn't finished in the top 6 since the late 80's and they had made a habit of it.

Just trying to add some perspective to the conversation really. Anyone would think ENIC/Lecy have been the death of this club reading on here but far from it, even if there are some glaring errors in there. I'm not saying they have been fantastic but have overall probably done more good than bad. It is a shame that the bad happened at a time when we could have really pushed on and became a force (Saha/Nelsen window, after first CL qualification)

It's a question as to where the start ( reset ) line is drawn with ENIC. Only compared to Sugar's dark days does their record stand up compared to any point in the last 35-40 years.

They took over in late 2001. It took them a few years to move the club from mid table & seven years to win a trophy & it's been 7 years now since we won a trophy. So let's assume 7 years to be a "cycle"

The period between 97 & 01 were, I feel, our lowest years ( maybe as well 93/94 ) these were Sugar days and sadly a period we are trying trying to get over & his 1 trophy in 99 masked little of how chronic it was. But roll back 7 years from the point of Sugars arrival & you have a record that reads. 1 FA Cup win, 1 Further FA Cup Final, 2 top 3 finishes ( serious title pushes ) 2 more top 6 finishes ( 4th & 6th I think need to check ) UEFA Quarter Final in 85....& at the time we had serious issues with managers, chairmen, debt & we're trying to rebuild post Burkinshaw era.

I think one of the worst things about ENIC is they are portraying us as the plucky under dog. We were never than before. We were a huge club underachieving or we were the balls out swaggering THFC the club that was the greatest team of the 20th Century. Maybe I am too romantic, but no amount of Cheatski money or dirty Middle East money changes that fact, we just seem to have a board that fail to really believe just how majestic Spurs are & that 4th really is simply not good enough. Even if you don't win, try everything to do so.

It's a question as to where the start ( reset ) line is drawn with ENIC. Only compared to Sugar's dark days does their record stand up compared to any point in the last 35-40 years.

They took over in late 2001. It took them a few years to move the club from mid table & seven years to win a trophy & it's been 7 years now since we won a trophy. So let's assume 7 years to be a "cycle"

The period between 97 & 01 were, I feel, our lowest years ( maybe as well 93/94 ) these were Sugar days and sadly a period we are trying trying to get over & his 1 trophy in 99 masked little of how chronic it was. But roll back 7 years from the point of Sugars arrival & you have a record that reads. 1 FA Cup win, 1 Further FA Cup Final, 2 top 3 finishes ( serious title pushes ) 2 more top 6 finishes ( 4th & 6th I think need to check ) UEFA Quarter Final in 85....& at the time we had serious issues with managers, chairmen, debt & we're trying to rebuild post Burkinshaw era.

I think one of the worst things about ENIC is they are portraying us as the plucky under dog. We were never than before. We were a huge club underachieving or we were the balls out swaggering THFC the club that was the greatest team of the 20th Century. Maybe I am too romantic, but no amount of Cheatski money or dirty Middle East money changes that fact, we just seem to have a board that fail to really believe just how majestic Spurs are & that 4th really is simply not good enough. Even if you don't win, try everything to do so.

If you just call what you BELIEVE fact(s) and claim, that two clubs putting absurd amounts into their teams, doesn't change anything, then there's no discussing with you is there?

Not in any way saying, we're not a big club. But giant is pushing it way, way too much, if that's what we're basing our expectations on as fans. I'm as proud of the history as anyone, but still.

I'm from Denmark, where there's traditionally a strong interest in English football. People with footballing interest do know Tottenham, but anyone below, say 30 or 40 years old know us in the same way, they know Villa or Newcastle. Anyone with a more peripheral football knowledge/interest will know United, Pool, Woolwich, Chavs and maybe City. They might even say, oh yeah I've heard of Spurs. Call it plastic all you like, but unless we want to sell our soul to a sheik then that broader global exposure is what we need to compete at the very top.

Knowing Villa I get. They won the European Cup in the last 40 years. Knowing Newcastle surprises me though, given their win rate is hardly inspiring overall. In under the 35-40 year mark Spurs have won 6 major trophies v Newcastles zero, maybe it's the Tino Aspria days

But nothing changes what Spurs did in 60-61 and that is why we should be considered amongst the greatest. In truth we probably did it by buying up the players we needed at the cost necessary as Glory never came on a shoe string budget. However, If our club had not ever been the greatest, perhaps being 5th would be an achievement we'd cherish and I could better accept the underdog tag.

If you just call what you BELIEVE fact(s) and claim, that two clubs putting absurd amounts into their teams, doesn't change anything, then there's no discussing with you is there?

You don't get it mate.

You don't know how it was. How it can be. You've probably only known Spurs for 5 years.

You couldn't even name me 10 firsts this club has achieved.

Last edited:

I think you maybe misunderstanding my point. Which was Chelsea & City money is not a reason for Spurs to be content with lower acheivement. Finishing above Chelsea's money is possible, we did it in 2012. Finishing above City, well tricky, but we were not that far away. It takes a more balls than "trying" to sign Berhinio, it takes signing him before United away & going all out for other targets. A statement of intent perhaps.

Our revenue means we can't afford the wages of the top teams until we increase it, a new stadium would help, so does more fans. In terms of wage bill we're far behind 5th so we should be consistently finishing 6th. Really though I'm done, absolute joke on here. I can understand frustration at not bringing another striker in, but I think that's overblown since we signed two forwards this window anyway, they just kind of went under the radar when we started chasing Berahino.

But seriously, there's a line between frustration and this, ridiculous, the metling here is worse than on Facebook FFS. More fickle too. Unbelievable.

You don't get it mate.

You don't know how it was. You've probably only known Spurs for 5 years.

You couldn't even name me 10 firsts this club has achieved.

Don't make fucking insulting assumptions based on next to nothing! I've been following this club for the better part of 25 years. I've moved to London primarily to follow Spurs (London being an awesome city helps though), traveled to London from Denmark to go the Lane more than 50 times (stopped counting at some point) and followed Spurs around Europe. And no, I'm not even one of "those" European fans with a team in every country. I support Spurs and Spurs only.

Firsts do count. They are (more) reasons for us to be proud of this fantastic club. But in terms of being considered great in the modern game, they count for fuck all. I personally would agree that they should count for more, but the reality is that they don't.

Don't make fucking insulting assumptions based on next to nothing! I've been following this club for the better part of 25 years. I've moved to London primarily to follow Spurs (London being an awesome city helps though), traveled to London from Denmark to go the Lane more than 50 times (stopped counting at some point) and followed Spurs around Europe. And no, I'm not even one of "those" European fans with a team in every country. I support Spurs and Spurs only.

Firsts do count. They are (more) reasons for us to be proud of this fantastic club. But in terms of being considered great in the modern game, they count for fuck all. I personally would agree that they should count for more, but the reality is that they don't.

Fair enough. It's just that you type like a fan of the club since ENIC took over.

We are much better than the dross and mismanagement that has been served up. People saying oh but look where we are since they took over is a tiny part of our history.

It's ridiculous.

The TV money and our prestige should have us knocking on the top 4 regardless. we were bigger than the scum for decades. When you see what they have achieved with less money and less fans than we had its annoying to say the least.

Now, like you say most Europeans have very little knowledge of us is true. But with a bit of ambition we could have been there. EUNUCH are an investment company and with them at the helm we will achieve nothing.

Save this post if you can be arsed and see come the end of November how right I am.

It's ever decreasing circles.

It is the disdain of the financial doping on one hand and the decrying of a lack of huge cash injection on the other that gets me. Fucking make up your minds. It can't be both.

We either repeat the Petro billonaire investment route and thus can invest ludicrous amounts in the hope of winning something and or becoming the next plastic global football brand.

Or We the fans buy out ENIC and run as not for profit.

Or we pretty much as we are now with an Investment Fund running the club for Profit.

This whole European giants idea is a joke. Yes we have a great history and a substantial fan base but so do a lot of other clubs. Being based in London certainly helps and our small stadium capacity is somewhat offset buy the most expensive ticketing prices.

The I told you so, this would happen shit is tiring. I too had fairly low expectations based on previous form and what is possible, therefore really can't be too disappointed. To those crying because Levy and ENIC did exactly as you expected, has it not sunk in yet ?

I am 37 and for most of my life time Spurs have been in a worse situation than they are now. There are a lot of aspects of the ENIC regime I don't like but its hard to rationally argue they are under performing.
I do suspect they want to sell the club for a huge profit, its no secret. If you feel they treat you only as a customer and you are not getting value for money stop spending.

I think people are overstating the importance of transfer fees.

I'm more pissed off with Lev from a coaching aspect.

We have world class training facilities, and he's been buying managers from the dented tin section. Santini was a fruitcake. Ramos was a communications nightmare. Harry inherited top players from a scattergun approach then pretended he wasn't going to send Bale on loan.

We've cheapened out on managers and we treated a potential golden youth goose in Sherwood badly.

AVB failed at Chelsea.

Poch is another gamble who also inherited the saints players and Sherwoods youngsters.

IMO we need to really spend cash filling our facilities with some top headhunted staff.

We have had key positions filled with other lazy appointments like Les Ferdinand or Clipboard Chris who were probably hired on a "well he's a nice guy" credentials.

What are the odds that the best man for a job is limited to a few hundred that worked for Spurs at one point in time? our talent pool we employ from is minute. And even when we did find someone like Shereood, we burn s bridge after 6 months with no contingency.

Lev should have recognized what Sherwood did with Kane, Bentaleb, Prichard, Mason rtc and paid him a fucking fortune to move upstairs instead of letting him go.

Poch needs help. He needs a new number two and someone to sort out the schisms that happened with his captains last season.

We need talent to get the best out of these players. Poch seems fixated on fitness and disapline which is fine but we seriously need some finessing behind the scenes.

And lev should have so say whatsoever in any new appointments. He should stick to the money side.

we just seem to have a board that fail to really believe just how majestic Spurs are & that 4th really is simply not good enough. Even if you don't win, try everything to do so.

I think one of the worst things about ENIC is they are portraying us as the plucky under dog.

Totally agree.

This nauseating mantra ingrained into this club from the top of the boardroom to the fans that 4th spot is as difficult to reach as winning the quadruple. All forgetting the years we were only 1 or 2 pts off it.

Even Jol pushed a better Woolwich to the last game. We lost because we were sick, but here we are, "much improved" yet we should wait "2 years to gel and then see". Two years, are you fucking kidding me. You think Pochettino will be here in two years???

He didnt get his players, so he will not achieve his targets, which means he will be fired.

Im fucking sick of it...we've been in transition for 90% of the last 15 years, and the one time we got it right, we poured petrol on it and set it alight.

Back
Top Bottom