Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I would dispute the portrayel of him as not being respectful. In the summer, he preemtively said no to everyone except Real Madrid and Barca. I think that shows that he values being at Tottenham quite a lot, but that the pay has to be appropriate to his value in the team. During their entire time at Tottenham so far, avg. wages are approximately as follows:

Eriksen: 2.52 mil. pr. year - (6 seasons)
Kane: 4.37 - (5 seasons)
Alli: 3.16 - (4 seasons)
Son: 3.84 - (4 seasons)
Lamela: 3.44 - (6 seasons)

Eriksen was bought for next to nothing, and has been paid "next to Winks". Levy would not give Eriksen parity with Kane and expected him to sign eventually, but Eriksen called his bluff. Now, Levy has instead given financial parity with Kane to Ndombele. If neither Barca nor Madrid want Eriksen in January, Levy could offer him parity and a hefty sign-on bonus to make up for lost ground, and Eriksen would probably sign.

He has been offered a lot more money apparently by Spurs but according to him it is not about the money

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I would dispute the portrayel of him as not being respectful. In the summer, he preemtively said no to everyone except Real Madrid and Barca. I think that shows that he values being at Tottenham quite a lot, but that the pay has to be appropriate to his value in the team. During their entire time at Tottenham so far, avg. wages are approximately as follows:

Eriksen: 2.52 mil. pr. year - (6 seasons)
Kane: 4.37 - (5 seasons)
Alli: 3.16 - (4 seasons)
Son: 3.84 - (4 seasons)
Lamela: 3.44 - (6 seasons)

Eriksen was bought for next to nothing, and has been paid "next to Winks". Levy would not give Eriksen parity with Kane and expected him to sign eventually, but Eriksen called his bluff. Now, Levy has instead given financial parity with Kane to Ndombele. If neither Barca nor Madrid want Eriksen in January, Levy could offer him parity and a hefty sign-on bonus to make up for lost ground, and Eriksen would probably sign.

How do you know he would not give Eriksen parity with Kane?

Scenario

No offers for Eriksen in January
Leading up to the end of the season, there are no offers to Eriksen from the club's he wants to sign for, due to him playing shit or not playing at all.

Do we offer him a new contract..,. again
Or do we just say fuck it and let him leave on a free.

If Pogba leaves ( which seems likely) - I can believe it. In which case Levy better have some major lined up which of course he won't so the plebs will blame Poch again

If true sell him to United and use the money on a striker first and foremost, then full backs.

In the summer of 2020 we need a central defender and another midfielder.

This is a good squad performing poorly. We need an even stronger squad performing at its optimum.

Scenario

No offers for Eriksen in January
Leading up to the end of the season, there are no offers to Eriksen from the club's he wants to sign for, due to him playing shit or not playing at all.

Do we offer him a new contract..,. again
Or do we just say fuck it and let him leave on a free.

If there are no takers for him and we’re in a position to sign him, I think it’s worth signing him because I don’t think Eriksen is the kind of player who would flush the rest of his career down the toilet just because he didn’t get the move he wanted.

I do however think he will go somewhere else and sign on a free.

It’s a shame how everything has worked out because I’ve had nothing but high regards for CE over the years, he’s not doing a Bale but it certainly doesn’t look too pretty at the mo.

It’s a shame how everything has worked out
You mean his decision to do a moody and decide not to play for us until his contract ends ?? That's not how things 'turn out' that is CE making a conscious decision to stay uninjured and do fuck all when selected to play. I'd pay him off and let him go tomorrow if I could.

You mean his decision to do a moody and decide not to play for us until his contract ends ?? That's not how things 'turn out' that is CE making a conscious decision to stay uninjured and do fuck all when selected to play. I'd pay him off and let him go tomorrow if I could.

CE‘s attitude is obviously poor and disappointing but I wish we never got here in the first place. I wish Levy had set a realistic sale price last summer and he was shipped off, this situation where he’s half arsed and we’re stuck with him is doing no one any favours.

It is your interpretation that he is "moody". CE has played on a very high level since he was 17. He has played 90 minutes of almost every available game for 10 years on a very high level in addition to almost 100 national games for Denmark. The VAST majority of players will never get even close to that if they played into their forties. So maybe he is just burnt out and needs a rest? I don't understand the near unanimous conclusion here that he is sulking and "ungrateful", etc. But one thing is sure, CE being on the top of his game and our success is 100% correlated.

It is your interpretation that he is "moody". CE has played on a very high level since he was 17. He has played 90 minutes of almost every available game for 10 years on a very high level in addition to almost 100 national games for Denmark. The VAST majority of players will never get even close to that if they played into their forties. So maybe he is just burnt out and needs a rest? I don't understand the near unanimous conclusion here that he is sulking and "ungrateful", etc. But one thing is sure, CE being on the top of his game and our success is 100% correlated.
Spot on

We shall definitely agree to disagree. If he's as good as you say then he would have been snapped up and playing for someone else last Summer when he declared himself for sale. You are obviously a devoted fan of his so there is no point in debating the matter. Time will prove the point. Let's see where he ends up and how well he does at his new club. :thumbup:

Guys a tosser who has downed tools and went in a huff after being unable to flaunt himself to Real or Barca, totally forgetting his paymasters and the club who has developed him for years. Good riddance when he goes, spoiled whatever good memories I had of him.

We shall definitely agree to disagree. If he's as good as you say then he would have been snapped up and playing for someone else last Summer when he declared himself for sale. You are obviously a devoted fan of his so there is no point in debating the matter. Time will prove the point. Let's see where he ends up and how well he does at his new club. :thumbup:

Borodin , you are twice as biased against him as I am a fan of his. You are incredibly biased. But even as biased as you are, you will have to concede that when CE was at the top of his game our trajectory was just upwards. Now that he is a ghost of himself (and I admit that he is) we're hurtling toward the relegation zone. What do you make of it?

Borodin , you are twice as biased against him as I am a fan of his. You are incredibly biased. But even as biased as you are, you will have to concede that when CE was at the top of his game our trajectory was just upwards. Now that he is a ghost of himself (and I admit that he is) we're hurtling toward the relegation zone. What do you make of it?
Guess I'm just incredibly biased as you say. I believe he's a ghost of himself because he has made a conscious decision to 'switch off' in order to stay uninjured and express his discontent at not being transferred. I do not however believe that his absence in the team is pivotal to our current demise. The team is underperforming because it no longer believes in the manager. CE is doing the same because he doesn't want to be here.
To continue this discussion is pointless as I will remain resolute in my opinion of him and his behaviour. The determining factor will be who he eventually signs for and how well he does for them. So let's wait and see.

Eriksen did not play Saturday and the performance was no better than when he has played. Eriksen must be aware of fans feelings, I do not know what is going on in the dressing room but it clearly is not good and now Eriksen has been dropped. There is no way he will sign a new contract if indeed it is still offered. He will leave at the latest in the summer. No idea where he will go but think It unlikely to be Real or Barca. This realisation is likely partly to blame for his demise and he should be worried that his playing ambitions are not going to be achieved.
In the meantime he is training well and available for selection if Poch wants him. His selection should depend on who else is fit and his performance which at present does not justify a starting place but calls to not use him even if we need him is ridiculous. The same apples to Toby but not Jan who has stated he wants to stay.

Lmao now the reason we were so good was because of Eriksen and the reason we’re so bad is because of Eriksen. This guy must live on a pedestal in some of your brains. There is more to THFC than Christan Eriksen, like the other 24 players in the squad that all contribute to our ups and downs.

I don't think there's much disagreement here at all. The only areas of contention relate to words such as "discontent", "sulking", "poor attitude" and "moody"; words that seem more applicable to a portion of fans that are now seeing him run down his contract.
His contract didn't have to be running out this season, if Levy had offered him much more money at a much earlier stage, but Levy, understandably, choose not to because he has a long-term mindset which benefits the club in the long run, but also leads to situations such as the current one. Eriksen has made great choices throughout his career, including signing with Tottenham, and obviously is not going to risk injury now, when he is about to sign the biggest contract of his career. Relative to past, present and future Tottenham squads, Eriksen has cost Tottenham very little in transfer + wages.
Nevertheless, I understand the frustration, and I understand that some feel the need to scapegoat.

Back
Top Bottom