Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any drop-off in Eriksen's form this season should be able to be mitigated against by other players stepping up.

The obvious one is Lamela, with Alli being a different type of player and having been out quite a bit this season.

So without anyone pushing Eriksen, any slackening of output rarely if ever sees any threat to his place. That would not happen at City or Liverpool. I get why but it would not happen.

It's about teams and squads but within it you need not just 3 or 4 players with the added quality but with the added personality. If there is a criticism of Eriksen this season it's that in certain games unlike previous seasons he has not dominated.

Yesterday screamed out for him to boss it. Never got near to that.

I only offer that Alli,'s presence helps immeasurably, because he alone makes the runs that help Eriksen most.

So Eriksen not been as good but Lamela nowhere good enough to push him. Not conducive to improvement from either player.

Any drop-off in Eriksen's form this season should be able to be mitigated against by other players stepping up.

The obvious one is Lamela, with Alli being a different type of player and having been out quite a bit this season.

So without anyone pushing Eriksen, any slackening of output rarely if ever sees any threat to his place. That would not happen at City or Liverpool. I get why but it would not happen.

It's about teams and squads but within it you need not just 3 or 4 players with the added quality but with the added personality. If there is a criticism of Eriksen this season it's that in certain games unlike previous seasons he has not dominated.

Yesterday screamed out for him to boss it. Never got near to that.

I only offer that Alli,'s presence helps immeasurably, because he alone makes the runs that help Eriksen most.

So Eriksen not been as good but Lamela nowhere good enough to push him. Not conducive to improvement from either player.

I agree with most of this but have never seen Lamela as an Eriksen understudy, First, he's too one sided. Because of this, the opposition know how to close him down. Second, Lamela is one of these head-down, run at the opposition players. Sometimes it works, often it ends up in a blind alley, running into your own player or loss of possession.

I've always seen Lamela as someone who challenges for Son's position. Regrettably it's not worked out. At best he is a squad player. The purchase of Lucas was a bit mystifying as (in my view) Son/Lamela/Lucas are very similar and compete for a single team spot.

Let's hope that the return of Dele will re-ignite Eriksen, who has been inconsistent (at best) over the last few games; or downright poor depending on your perspective.

We should also be looking for something extra from Dier when he returns.

And please, no more Aurier, Foyth and Sissoko occupying our right side together! It was shambolic yesterday.

Anyway, forget yesterday and on to the fascists on Wednesday.

He is gone in the summer, the question is who do we replace him with, Is there a like for like replacement or do we change our system slightly?
Pool managed to strengthen selling one of there best players, I just hope we can do the same, as much as we can try and kid ourselves on his day he can be world class

He is gone in the summer, the question is who do we replace him with, Is there a like for like replacement or do we change our system slightly?
Pool managed to strengthen selling one of there best players, I just hope we can do the same, as much as we can try and kid ourselves on his day he can be world class

Sell Eriksen. Sign Werner.

Sorted.

The state of the knee jerk my god. Christian, whether he is going through a bad patch or not, is still one of the best playmakers in world football - we literally couldn't replace him even if we wanted to and had 80m burning in our pocket. It's no surprise that when he doesn't play we look like a different team who couldn't create a single opportunity because he is our main production line for goal opportunities.

If we let him go and try to replace we will regret it because whoever comes in will not be as good.

The state of the knee jerk my god. Christian, whether he is going through a bad patch or not, is still one of the best playmakers in world football - we literally couldn't replace him even if we wanted to and had 80m burning in our pocket. It's no surprise that when he doesn't play we look like a different team who couldn't create a single opportunity because he is our main production line for goal opportunities.

If we let him go and try to replace we will regret it because whoever comes in will not be as good.

Such a small time mentality

The state of the knee jerk my god
Dont rate Eriksen?

As in, he's inconsistent, is class 50% of the games he plays and has the potential to be world class and is suffering from being played out of position?

Ok then......

...and my opinion hasnt changed because he destroyed a League One side.

Oh, and as for kneejerk, above is a post from 2015:

Same old Eriksen at the end of the day, only his day is much less than 50% of the time now.
Going on four years now with a "potentially world class" tag. Clearly not going to turn that corner of going season after season doing it every week....because thats what being world class is about.

Last edited:
Such a small time mentality

How is being realistic "small time"? Name one player in Eriksen's mould that would be a better option than the man himself? There is literally no better option that we could realistically go and buy. Unless your suggestion is to go and buy in some hot shit dribbling winger player because "wow look how many goals they score in league X" which is usually the shit people here spout. In which case you would then end up in the same scenario where we don't create any chances for ourselves because we have no ball player and just a bunch of guys who want to be on the receiving end rather than the creative end.

Oh, and as for kneejerk, above is a post from 2015:

Same old Eriksen at the end of the day, only his day is much less than 50% of the time now.
Going on four years now with a "potentially world class" tag. Clearly not going to turn that corner of going season after season doing it every week....because thats what being world class is about.
lm worried that we only downgrade when we replace players .
Mordric to Dembele to Winks .
Walker , Trippier , Aurier

granted he has been less effective but we won't replace if he goes.

In all honesty - I love Eriksen but I don't see us going backwards when he leaves at all.

We aren't reliant on one player and it's stupid to think so.

People will step up. They always do. And if you don't think there will be serious investment when Eriksen leaves, you're stupid. Whenever we sell big, we sign big.

Sell Eriksen (if he wants to go) and reinforce our front line.

Last edited:

“Downgrading” individually yet improving as a unit.
I couldn’t care less if we replaced Eriksen with Grealish if he helps the team produce more......so far this season that’s 9 assists and 5 goals on Eriksen.
Hardly unachievable.

How is being realistic "small time"? Name one player in Eriksen's mould that would be a better option than the man himself? There is literally no better option that we could realistically go and buy. Unless your suggestion is to go and buy in some hot shit dribbling winger player because "wow look how many goals they score in league X" which is usually the shit people here spout. In which case you would then end up in the same scenario where we don't create any chances for ourselves because we have no ball player and just a bunch of guys who want to be on the receiving end rather than the creative end.

My answer is simply that I think we have one of the best managers in Europe and I’m pretty confident in him moulding young players into something special.

My answer is that I don’t know who we will go after but the fact I can’t name a ready made replacement doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

Maybe we sign Grealish and he becomes “irreplaceable” by Christmas. Maybe we sign Brooks....maybe we sign a Dembele/Dier/Wanyama upgrade and use Winks in Eriksens role. Maybe Winks ends up doing it better. Maybe we deploy Dele there, or Skipp, or Roles or sign Maddison or Werner, some player that none of us know of that comes in and rips it up.

Maybe we sign Isco, or Rabiot, or Icardi....maybe we don’t.

I don’t know, but what I do know is that we will still be top 3, and giving another title push next season.
Thinking we will finish 6th or 7th if Eriksen leaves is not being a realist, it’s being small time and slightly moronic.

Do people actually realise that Eriksen is not actually winning us any trophies right?
Whats this regression you all fear? Oh dont tell me, Eriksen hasnt scored a free kick in the PL since 2015 because Trippier's crap.

Last edited:
“Downgrading” individually yet improving as a unit.
I couldn’t care less if we replaced Eriksen with Grealish if he helps the team produce more......so far this season that’s 9 assists and 5 goals on Eriksen.
Hardly unachievable.
To be fair central midfield has little flair , attacking momentum and maybe effects Eriksens game as it can never open play for him.

The Eriksen debate is interesting.

No goal from a free kick since 2015 - never knew that. A reduction in goals and assists. Intuitively that is quite obvious and tells some of the story.

It's the lack of orchestrating a game and having a more obvious impact that makes me think replacing him is now possible. Not yet essential although it may soon be the only option if he leaves but being something that I think we can cope with.

Whether we would still get a still to be achieved 3rd I don't know and I think it would take longer to be in the title discussion but on his current trajectory, Eriksen has hit a plateau and one that sits below his old level.

Adebayor to Soldado to Kane
Friedel to Lloris
Assou Ekotto to Rose
Lennon to Son
Dawson to Alderweireld
Van Der Vaart to Dele

SpUrS oNlY dOwNgRaDe PlAyErS....doiiiiiiiiiii

Of course it’s almost impossible to sign a direct replacement, there is only one Eriksen just like there was only one Modric. But we signed Dembele and our midfield remained strong, a different type of player but one who could dominate a game on his own. Eriksen is not the only player in the world who can create chances for others, if we are smart we can find someone to help us carry on.

Back
Top Bottom