Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ZZ will have targeted Eriksen as our playmaker & has world class players of his own to call upon to stifle him. Credit to RM for doing that. Tactically it was astute. But it did open up channels for other players.
They will have a real headache when Dele is available for the return game. Last night, he would have been ghosting around & causing them murders.
I thought Chris was pretty solid last night. Not his best performance, but he did ok.

He got muscled completely by Modric two or three times in the opening ten minutes, then he just let his head drop and showed them far too much respect.

A better second half, but he needs to realise he can be just as good as Modric with some confidence and consistency. He should spend a year in the gym too.

Hmmmm allowing Eriksen to make 5 KP's? .... think you need to look up the definition of nullifying

FYI - Modric whilst so busy 'nullifying' Eriksen managed just one KP .... so who nullified who?

That's not taking anything away from Modric, he's right up there as one of my all time best players to ever wear the lillywhite .....
This is why watching the game with your eyes is far more important than some stats written down on paper.

Modric was imperious last night, Eriksen was not. It's not criminal to acknowledge that.

This is why watching the game with your eyes is far more important than some stats written down on paper.

Modric was imperious last night, Eriksen was not. It's not criminal to acknowledge that.

No question Modric was the best player on the pitch, but that doesn't make Eriksen bad just not at the same level ... one player doesn't have to be bad just because another is feckin' brilliant ...

Watch the game again Eriksen has as many and more touches than all bar one other Spurs player, completes the most key passes, and not once puts us in trouble .... maybe not at Modric's level, and who is? .... but still a decent performance .... sometimes we set the bar far to high just so we can criticise later .... why?

No question Modric was the best player on the pitch, but that doesn't make Eriksen bad just not at the same level ... one player doesn't have to be bad just because another is feckin' brilliant ...

Watch the game again Eriksen has as many and more touches than all bar one other Spurs player, completes the most key passes, and not once puts us in trouble .... maybe not at Modric's level, and who is? .... but still a decent performance .... sometimes we set the bar far to high just so we can criticise later .... why?
I don't wish to get into an argument about a Spurs player being below par. He just had an off night. It happens. The result is still tremendous.

Listen everyone keeps saying Eriksen had a good game because Modric is world class.
Why cant Modric be world class, but Eriksen was still poor?
The two things are not connected....

Where was Modric when we had a counter attack with 4 on 4 in the first half and Eriksen just ran and ran and ran, couldnt decide whether to play in Kane, Sissoko or Llorente and then just ran into their defender?

Where was Modric when Eriksen blasted a one on one waist high at the keeper near post instead of putting in onto Kanes head for an open goal?

The performance of the team was immense. Eriksen was part of it, and was by no means terrible.

But by HIS own standards, he was below par.....nothing to do with Modric.

Maybe you missed Winks running the midfield? Wasnt Modric world class when Winks had the ball?

Listen everyone keeps saying Eriksen had a good game because Modric is world class.
Why cant Modric be world class, but Eriksen was still poor?
The two things are not connected....

Where was Modric when we had a counter attack with 4 on 4 in the first half and Eriksen just ran and ran and ran, couldnt decide whether to play in Kane, Sissoko or Llorente and then just ran into their defender?

Where was Modric when Eriksen blasted a one on one waist high at the keeper near post instead of putting in onto Kanes head for an open goal?

The performance of the team was immense. Eriksen was part of it, and was by no means terrible.

But by HIS own standards, he was below par.....nothing to do with Modric.

Maybe you missed Winks running the midfield? Wasnt Modric world class when Winks had the ball?
He ran our midfield and played brilliantly for a guy on his fifth or sixth start. Modric ran the game though.
Eriksen played well below his usual standard, but really looked lost and out of it.

He works hard but man he gets brushed aside easily.....Modric and Coutinho are hardly big guys but I whinced every time they had a tussle in the middle.

I know it's not his job, and I really don't want him making slide tackles, but needs to be stronger in shoulder to shoulders

He works hard but man he gets brushed aside easily.....Modric and Coutinho are hardly big guys but I whinced every time they had a tussle in the middle.

I know it's not his job, and I really don't want him making slide tackles, but needs to be stronger in shoulder to shoulders
It’s not really his job to act the enforcer , but I kind of get what you’re saying when you look at Winks for example.

Just have to accept him for what he is. A creative genius. Hes not muscle. They are always scapegoted when things go bad. Look at Ozil.

Just have to accept him for what he is. A creative genius. Hes not muscle. They are always scapegoted when things go bad. Look at Ozil.
Ozil is a shit comparison. Nobody at spurs will scapegoat Eriksen. Because he works his bollocks off. Ozil is a lazy luxury.
It’s a valid point though, to say that if diminutive players like Messi, Modric, Coutinho & Winks can put it about a bit against physically larger players, then Eriksen can seek to raise that side of his game too. To be honest, it’s about the only area of his game that can be debated given his fantastic contribution to Spurs in every other aspect

Ozil is shit though....a few moments of genius every 6 months isnt the same thing. Ive never seen him dictate a game. Basically Adel Taraabt with a price tag.

As I said, I have no desire to Eriksen getting stuck in. Its not Coutinhos job either.

But it would be nice if when there is a loose ball in the middle, just sometimes Eriksen can win a physical duel.

Ozil is shit though....a few moments of genius every 6 months isnt the same thing. Ive never seen him dictate a game. Basically Adel Taraabt with a price tag.

As I said, I have no desire to Eriksen getting stuck in. Its not Coutinhos job either.

But it would be nice if when there is a loose ball in the middle, just sometimes Eriksen can win a physical duel.
Agree. However...perhaps the reason he is an ever present, runs further than anyone else regularly & is never out injured is down to the fact that we set up to protect him so he doesn’t have to get “stuck in”? Just throwing it out there.

Agree. However...perhaps the reason he is an ever present, runs further than anyone else regularly & is never out injured is down to the fact that we set up to protect him so he doesn’t have to get “stuck in”? Just throwing it out there.

I have no desire to see Eriksen getting stuck in

I think people are mixing up "getting stuck in" with "not turning your back and letting players ghost past you", which is what Im talking about

If Eriksen could win physical duels plus his normal game hed be Ronaldo.

Historically I was never his biggest fan, felt he was a luxury player, didn't get stuck in and his corners were woeful but I saw a different side of him last season and I'm very much a fan now.

I do feel when the team unit isn't performing his faults rise to the top – it's the nature of his position that makes it more obvious. He has however won many games for us in the past due to his vision, no player can be 100% every week. If we have the option of Lamella when it's not clicking or needs a bit of muscle then it's the perfect balance. Let CE come on at 65mins and split the opposition apart.

Historically I was never his biggest fan, felt he was a luxury player, didn't get stuck in and his corners were woeful but I saw a different side of him last season and I'm very much a fan now.

I do feel when the team unit isn't performing his faults rise to the top – it's the nature of his position that makes it more obvious. He has however won many games for us in the past due to his vision, no player can be 100% every week. If we have the option of Lamella when it's not clicking or needs a bit of muscle then it's the perfect balance. Let CE come on at 65mins and split the opposition apart.

This is my point. When a team is struggling, its easy to pick out this type of player for criticism.

Just to remind ourselves...

Back
Top Bottom