Chelscum v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 27.02.19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Decent first half where we weathered the inevitable first 10-15 minute storm and had become the better team towards the end of the first half.

2nd half we needed to be tight at the back again and expect another 10-15 minutes of them having bursts before we opened the game up and made the most of their leggy feeling after extra time the other day and short bursts in both opening quarter of an hours. Unfortunately we conceded a goal when there wasn't obvious pressure on, a lack of focus from all involved and after that we're chasing a game, exactly what Chelsea wanted.

Our game management and urgency lacked in crucial spells. The worst thing is Chelsea didn't play very well, they just made it extremely difficult for us to break them down and tried to hit us on the break. Got to focus on Woolwich now as a 7 point cushion is far better than it could be if we don't show urgency and bite which sadly our game management never allowed us to express tonight.

A disappointing result not because of the result necessarily but because we let them off the hook. They would have been desperate for a win and for me we looked threatening on the counter as they were the ones who needed to attack us. Once that changed with the first goal we ran out of creative ideas. Dele's return can't come soon enough.

Let's not forget how hard a place Stamford Bridge is to get a win. We've won once there since 1991 butnthe disappointing thing was we made it very comfortable for them which for me isn't acceptable at this stage of the season.

The last goal, it happens but Tripper needs to take responsibility and shift the ball away from danger. He didn't believe in himself, shifted the ball like it was a hot potato and ultimately that cost us any surge for the last 5-10 minutes, similar to how the goal at the weekend knocked the stuffing out of us.

Got to move on now, got to give our hearts and every ounce of our energy for what is a crucial North London Derby

Sissoko, Davinson and Winks the least shit of the bunch. Kane was shit and rushed WAY too soon. Eriksen should grab that contract with both hands because he won't get a sniff near Real Madrid's squad. Son was invisible today. Llorente tried when he came on but he lacks quality. Kieran Trippier can't fuck off soon enough (and don't start with the bullshit that he loves the club, because we love the club too but don't get paid millions every year to put a performance like that week in week out). We should really think about a replacement for Hugo, because he's starting to show he's past it since THAT World Cup Final goal. Onwards and Upwards we go, hopefully to beat the Scum on saturday.

P.S: Missing both Dele and Jan already...

Generally you’ve nailed it mate

Fair points but from the high of Dortmund to the low of today and the last 2 performances, perspective and balance are not easy.
It's bollocks, but it's always seemed like football or at least Spurs going in in the circle...Lost to Inter, draw at PSV, no hope, then two wins and draw at Barca and knockout stage of CL. Losing to woolwich, and beating them in the Cup... smashing chavs then losing them in semis.. beating Dortmund and then losing two straight. If I'm gonna predict, we'll win our next two games surely:pochshock2:

We perform against Woolwich and then move into the Quarter Finals of the CL.

Getting Dele back will be huge for us.

Its more in hope than in confidence though..... We've just had a worst 2 performances of the season in the Premier league.....

It doesn't bare thinking about but if the worst did happen on Saturday.... We will have given up 9 points to Chelsea, Woolwich and Man United in just 7 DAYS!!!!!

And that is the truly worrying thing...... We've not had a hectic schedule...... Chelsea played 120 mins plus penalties and had the disappointment of losing a final......

And yet we were the ones who looked sluggish and not up for it.... We were second to most balls and it didn't look like anyone was breaking their back to grab the game and try and win it.

If you can't get up for the second biggest London Derby then something is wrong.

The main worry now is where do we go from here? It's been fun dreaming because we all thought these players had the potential to win things... But they've proven time and time again that they're just not good enough to take that final step.

So what now - a little bit of excitement faded tonight with the realisation that maybe, just maybe... Our players aren't as good as we think they are.

Now with a different mentality you could argue the boys have a point to prove on Saturday.... But it seems a long way off at this point in time.

This is how I feel as well, I think these results have finally been a reality check (for me at least) that this team doesn’t seem to have the mentality to win anything.

Maybe Poch is right, it’s going to take 5-10 years to win something here because we probably have to rebuild the fucking team and get some winners in here rather than players who seem to not have the guts to take that next step.

I feel really positive about our future still, we have some seriously talented players and a great young manager, it’s just a shame that a few of the players let the test down, not mentioning names because I don’t think it’s helpful but I think we all know what players want to be winners and truly believe they can be (Kane) and what players are lacking in that department.

Let’s just fucking hope that we manage to get CL for next season because right now after the last two performances in the league I am not feeling confident whatsoever and we have teams breathing down our neck that would love nothing more than to deny us CL in our new stadium, like the gooner twats.

I agree with pretty much all of those mentioned, but clearing out 14 members of your squad in one window would almost certainly write off next season and possibly the season after while squad coherence and understanding is built up, not to mention learning the newcomers' names!

Shows why last summer was such a waste, no signings, no competition etc etc.
I know mate, of course not all of them will leave but the point is valid.
The shambles of not conducting any business whatsoever last Summer makes this Summer just as difficult as it is important.

Funny you say that, because Sissoko, Winks and Son have been our best players these last 2 months, while flamboyant "superstars" like Eriksen, Trippier (who is a starter for the English National Team) and Lucas have been absolute garbage.
Edit: I've hated Sissoko probably more than anyone else on this forum, but he has proven that he deserves a place in our squad and I can't remember the last game that he didn't pull 110% , played shit and/or cost us the game. Same feelings go for Llorente.
I didn't say they didn't put a shift in... or didn't care... they clearly do... and that is useful if asked to come in and put in a shift... but they're clearly not what we need to win a title... (and I'd put Eriksen into that equation too) he's fast becoming our Ozil... he's all well and good when things are going well... but ask him to change a game that's getting away from us, and he's bereft...

We've too many players that can turn it on when the opposition are weak, or don't fancy it... but throw them in against a team that want a scrap, to stand up against us, or have a point to prove, and we're shot...
That's what BULLIES do!

I agree mate, I do feel at home amongst you crazy bastards because I myself am a crazy bastard haha, we are all yidos at the end of the day.

COYS.

There’s arguments, debates, cunt offs etc.

But we all come here to spend time talking about this club. Means something.

And it’s a rollercoaster. That’s our club.

But for sure I’d always rather be Spurs than Woolwich, West Ham or Chelsea. Fuck that!

Poch is coming up short....say what you want about signings but the fact is we are playing toilet, dog shit football, and there is zero identity to anything we do on the pitch nowadays.

Long balls, tippy tally, dilly dally backwards, Hugo hoofs it off the pitch.

Penny dropping for me, simply because the results aren’t masking the fact that we just aren’t very good when silverware is reachable.

Not one man at this club is a winner.

Too many nearly men. Fuck off

Goodnight

Glazier on standby

Odd post.
I haven't gloated anywhere. But unlike many others I'm just not gonna start shitting all over our manager, players and other forum members as our season so predictably starts to fizzle out.

There's no parasites on here. Just a lot of disillusioned supporters. Many of whom saw this kind of run coming.
By ''run'', you mean 2 games.

After winning 4 in a row. Including a 3-0 demolition of Borussia Dortmund.

Two games.

Come on it was a shite game we played shite but and it's a big but we can come back. Poch will fire some fucks into them we have a NLD to win

It was a shite game from both teams keeping each other out. Just two stupid defensive mistakes after two more last weekend. Can't win games if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Kept it so solid against Dortmund. Fuck knows what we did with our week off. Go drinking with Hugo or something???

Honestly, I would strongly consider offers for all of Trippier, Aurier, Davies, Rose, Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko, and Lamela.

The point is we won't replace them, or more to the point upgrade them. And we keep telling ourselves that it's difficult, that there's no one available, that its a risk and so on and so on.

There's a huge problem with our recruitment at the minute. We can argue endlessly and pointlessly whether its the fault of Lewis, ENIC, Levy, Pochettino or our scouting staff, but its been there for a while, and it urgently needs to be addressed.

Me, I'd guess that all of the above bear their share of responsibility. As a start I think we need to look at the latter quite seriously

If you're disillusioned by Spurs being 3rd in the Premier League, 3-0 up in a Champions League last 16 tie because Spurs have lost two games in a row after winning four in a row...

...take a long hard look in the mirror and give yourself a slap.

When did our fanbase get so fucking entitled?

Acting like them lot down the road.

We've just had a worst 2 performances of the season in the Premier league.....

Yep, it was bad. The thing is, we've been almost as shit in other games and ended up winning. Saturday gives us a chance to draw a line under it. Hopefully Jan will be back and Rose, so we can play something resembling our first choice back four.

Shouldnt have said it, my bad. Still a bit annoying to see a 'shut up' when I was just saying its unsportsmanlike to not let the other team have the ball properly when they had stopped their attack for our player holding his head.

No worries but fuck Chelsea and fuck showing them any sportsman like behaviour.

So you enjoyed that pathetic display with no shots on target...
Wow football is about winning something to most clubs, but with lovestruck twats always ready to just let the club and players at times not have to answer for that shit we will always be nearly there.
So at least u are getting to watch what u seem to enjoy........now who's really the cunt.....

No I didn’t enjoy it but I’m not about to turn on m6 team and start melting like you clearly have

We started the season thinking we had 3 good strong CM in Dier, Dembele & Wanyama. None of them are available as a good option and we should have replaced Dembele with someone strong in that position in January. Winks and Sissoko are playing better than expected but that partnership is nowhere near as good as Dembele with Dier or Wanyama. Putting Eriksen or Dele back there is not the answer and Skipp is not ready. That is the heart of the problem.

I think teams are starting to have this team found out. There re glaring weaknesses that managers will easily pick up on. Trippier's poor positioning and lack of awareness who is round about him. Toby's inability to deal with a fast player willing to cut inside him. Dav's lack of concentration and our captain's inability to make his mind up and his kicking that simply brings pressure onto us.

Mate Burnley away and Chelsea away aren't exactly gimmes are they? Personally I think our issues come with a lack of intelligent movement in the final third, most notably in our fullback department. The speed and width a modern day full back should give you is key, it allowed for teams to not play as narrow and opens up space in the middle.

Unfortunately our fullbacks resort to passing backwards or sideways and don't take their man on enough. This leaves our opposition comfortably leaving our fullbacks 1 on 1, leaving us resorting to crosses that inevitably get stifled out with only one naturally good header of the ball in the middle.

We are a passing team but we need to exploit the one touch give and go areas in the middle more. Deft touches, flicks, giving and going into the box where teams can't afford to get tight to us. For me Eriksen is so important for this that when he isn't on song it can damage us. Son likes to play off the shoulder, Dele compliments Eriksen & Harry so much and our style has been somewhat stifled due to our fullbacks not having that marauding style intricate football occasionally needs. For these reasons I still think Sessegnon would be a great signing if he's happy to get shaped into an attacking left back until he matures, the same applies to Jack Clarke as both offer great directness and diversity.

A shame but let's not pretend that away to Chelsea is an easy game.

Back
Top Bottom