Burnley home fa cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big decisions for Poch here. What is the better chance, us winning the FA Cup or getting 4th in the Lge?

For me it was clear that before the away game, we needed to play a 'B' team v Burnley. Poch chose to play some of our key players. That was a mistake IMO. Did it cost us Palace, we'll never know. What we do know, is that our odds have lengthened for top 4 now, (I'm assuming Woolwich will win the Stoke game they're leading in).

It feels to me once again that we're not going to make 4th. Can we afford to give it up ATM, probably not. But then can we afford a strong team v Burnley. Then there's the prospect of a much needed break between the Lge cup semi finals if we go out to Burnley. Whereas Leicester between those games, surely then we'd have to play a B team against them, and then what, another replay, maybe a home defeat?

I think on the whole, we should play a B team v Burnley, but it's not so clear cut to me now, as it was for the Turf Moor game. I so hope Kane and Eriksen don't start, but I can easily imagine one of them doing so.

Of course, had we already strengthened during the window, we'd have more options. But the January window has been disappointing so far, now there's a novelty :rolleyes:

Big decisions for Poch here. What is the better chance, us winning the FA Cup or getting 4th in the Lge?

For me it was clear that before the away game, we needed to play a 'B' team v Burnley. Poch chose to play some of our key players. That was a mistake IMO. Did it cost us Palace, we'll never know. What we do know, is that our odds have lengthened for top 4 now, (I'm assuming Woolwich will win the Stoke game they're leading in).

It feels to me once again that we're not going to make 4th. Can we afford to give it up ATM, probably not. But then can we afford a strong team v Burnley. Then there's the prospect of a much needed break between the Lge cup semi finals if we go out to Burnley. Whereas Leicester between those games, surely then we'd have to play a B team against them, and then what, another replay, maybe a home defeat?

I think on the whole, we should play a B team v Burnley, but it's not so clear cut to me now, as it was for the Turf Moor game. I so hope Kane and Eriksen don't start, but I can easily imagine one of them doing so.

Of course, had we already strengthened during the window, we'd have more options. But the January window has been disappointing so far, now there's a novelty :rolleyes:
The odd change is fine to try and keep fitness levels high, but with the squad we have making wholesale changes is suicide.

We have to keep fighting in all competitions and cups are more important than the league for me, certainly this season. Throwing away progress in the FA Cup is not what Tottenham is about.

...ditch the tin pot tourneys and concentrate on top 4 - that's what an organization that has lost the loser's mentality (i.e. New England Patriots) would do...use the cup games to train tactics and evaluate fringe starters...
COYS

The odd change is fine to try and keep fitness levels high, but with the squad we have making wholesale changes is suicide.

We have to keep fighting in all competitions and cups are more important than the league for me, certainly this season. Throwing away progress in the FA Cup is not what Tottenham is about.
Fair comments. Unfortunately throwing away progress in the FA Cups has been one of our trademarks since 1991. We no longer have the affinity with competition we had once.
We've lost a semi-final v Portsmouth, we pretty much flew the white flag at Woolwich last season. There was the Leicester debacle under Jol ...

We've a small chance of finishing top 4, and a small chance of winning the FA Cup. To me the key competitions are now the Lge Cup and Europa.

But if the money isn't forthcoming in January for some squad additions, I can only see another disappointing season, as ENIC continue to preside over our worst trophy drought since the 1930s.

...ditch the tin pot tourneys and concentrate on top 4 - that's what an organization that has lost the loser's mentality (i.e. New England Patriots) would do...use the cup games to train tactics and evaluate fringe starters...
COYS

+retarded+facebook+noobs+is+it+really+so+hard+to+_328c41d6e57c7c4e6ff12491d9ee5d96.jpg

COYS

Yeh but cups are glory always want a cup.

24 years without winning the cup is far to long for a team with our tradition with the famous old trophy , As much as I don't like to say it we have to be realistic we have a very very slim chance of finishing 4th and I can't see it happening , why not go all out to win a trophy ? Surely we must have a chance on all three cup fronts? You would like to think that we should be in the final of the league cup , If we beat Burnley then we have a winnable tie against Leicester , Fiorentina is winnable a club of our history needs to be winning more trophys again

24 yeart winning the cup is far to long for a team with our tradition with the famous old trophy , As much as I don't like to say it we have to be realistic we have a very very slim chance of finishing 4th and I can't see it happening , why not go all out to win a trophy ? Surely we must have a chance on all three cup fronts? You would like to think that we should be in the final of the league cup , If we beat Burnley then we have a winnable tie against Leicester , Fiorentina is winnable a club of our history needs to be winning more trophys again
As long as we have a chance for top 4 or the cups,, we must belive we can progress .

Fair comments. Unfortunately throwing away progress in the FA Cups has been one of our trademarks since 1991. We no longer have the affinity with competition we had once.
We've lost a semi-final v Portsmouth, we pretty much flew the white flag at Woolwich last season. There was the Leicester debacle under Jol ...

We've a small chance of finishing top 4, and a small chance of winning the FA Cup. To me the key competitions are now the Lge Cup and Europa.

But if the money isn't forthcoming in January for some squad additions, I can only see another disappointing season, as ENIC continue to preside over our worst trophy drought since the 1930s.
I understand your point but i must disagree with it completly. Its pessimist, depressing ,economical with the facts, nonsence. I could name as many games where we raised our game and achived glory. To win a trophy you have always needed some fotune, luck- that was then. Today it bags of money. However, sometimes you get a gem of a team winning one of the trophies and that could be us this season. We must stay posative and upbeat. Then was then and now is now-wise words?

Last edited:
Lets bounce back from Sat and beat Burnley in the cup. None of this prioritising crap. We play to to win the next game ahead of us playing our strongest team available .

Last edited:
It's been seven years already since we won a trophy. Before you know it we'll have gone a decade without winning anything at all. Even the 90s did better than that. For me, we have to try to win the cups, always.

No.
The magic of a non-prem team winning the cup would be harshly followed by the bitter thrashings in Europe. Wouldn't work.
Of course it would work. What it would mean is, premier league teams would take the cup more seriously and field their strongest teams. Hence, the competition would be back to its best. It would be a lottery for any team to win and give a for example a mid table premier league team to attract better players to try and become a top 6 team.
This top 4 bollocks is bullshit. Why should you get anything for finishing 4th?
Regarding a lower league team winning the cup, well the chances of that would be extremely remote if premier league teams are giving it 100 percent. Could you imagine villa fielding a weak side if there was a cl place on offer for winning the fa cup? Could imagine any chairman allowing that to happen. Giving a cl place to the winner would bring the magic of the cup back. The way it is at the minute just allows the bigger clubs to keep there feet on the heads of smaller clubs.

Going to this but as the all the tickets near the back in Block 35 have gone, I've gone for 34. That won't stop me and my mate from joining in with every song

Back
Top Bottom