Burnley away - 17:30 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Burnley are due to fall off their perch and we're the ones to do it. Sanchez being back is huge as we can send Dier forward again.

----------------------Lloris---------------------------
Aurier----Sanchez----Vertonghen----Davies
----------------Dier-------Winks-------------------
Lamela-----------Eriksen--------------------Son
----------------------Kane---------------------------

Let's move on from City now and concentrate on smashing the busy festive season just like last season.

James Tarkowski being out is big, he’s been very good for them this season. Also Brady out is a big one too.

Kane wants to beat Shearers record, he needs at least a hatrick here.

[formation=4231, Hugo, Aurier, Sanchez, Jan, Davies, Winks, Dier, Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Kane][/formation]

Probably how I would line up for Burnley on Saturday. Our strongest current backline seen to form, move Dier up into midfield to allow him to play as a DM and secure up our defense that way. Like someone mentioned in I think it was the Dele thread, give him a start on the bench and a chance to come on in the second when Burnley starts to tire and just let him try to kill the game to get some groove back.

A full week of rest with no midweek game is a blessing as well.

Difficult game only because of the way we are at the moment-fragile. Get it right, win all day for me. We are not as bad as the table suggests and they are not as good. Im not sure how many beatings we can take before we are floored. Really need to win this, no excuses, no cock ups - 100% commit to win.

The City result has destroyed our recovery before it really started. I expect us to lose three of the next five league games. The way some of our stars are playing suggests there are problems in the dressing room. I will be surprised if Poch is our manager at the start of next season. Pains me to say it... but the cracks have started to appear and they are fucken massive

not-sure-if-5a3a33.jpg

Will Poch not revert to a back three with Sanchez now available? It is his preferred formation when he has the personel.

Plus Burnley play a very narrow 442. No point crossing balls in the box because Tarkowski and Mee will eat them up all day long. So we need the wing backs to take players on.

No need for a DM in this game. Gray is their only attacking outlet. So Sanchez back is a big plus because we will need pace to stop them getting in behind. But we will obviously have a lot of possession. I can see this:

Lloris
Aurier, Dier Sanchez Vertonghen Rose
Winks Dembele
Son Eriksen
Kane

Then we have some great options in Lamela and Alli to come off the bench.

Burnley are fit and well drilled, its gonna be tough.

There may be melting ahead.....

The best thing to hope for with us this season is that we perform on the day.

Sadly there is no certainty of that and we have not won away for a few games.

Burnley won't fear us in the slightest and we have no pace to stretch the game.

A win this season and in our current form would be a welcome surprise.

January needs to bring vitality to a squad that is in danger of slipping too far off its perch of recent seasons.

Will Poch not revert to a back three with Sanchez now available? It is his preferred formation when he has the personel.

Plus Burnley play a very narrow 442. No point crossing balls in the box because Tarkowski and Mee will eat them up all day long. So we need the wing backs to take players on.

No need for a DM in this game. Gray is their only attacking outlet. So Sanchez back is a big plus because we will need pace to stop them getting in behind. But we will obviously have a lot of possession. I can see this:

Lloris
Aurier, Dier Sanchez Vertonghen Rose
Winks Dembele
Son Eriksen
Kane

Then we have some great options in Lamela and Alli to come off the bench.

Burnley are fit and well drilled, its gonna be tough.

There may be melting ahead.....
Gray left in the summer and Tarkowski is suspended, but yeah I agree they will defend really deep and crosses into the box will be easy for them to defend. I would like us to let them have the ball at times because hitting them on the counter may be our best way of scoring in this game.

Last edited:
Lamela HAS to start this game. Creativity is going to unlock Burnleys defence. Having both Eriksen and Lamela starting doubles that creativity

Difficult game only because of the way we are at the moment-fragile. Get it right, win all day for me. We are not as bad as the table suggests and they are not as good. Im not sure how many beatings we can take before we are floored. Really need to win this, no excuses, no cock ups - 100% commit to win.

Good post.

This is not going to be an easy game, expecting a tough one tbh.

Probably crazy but I might go with something like this.

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Jan Davis
Sissoko Winks
Lamela Eriksen Son
Kane

This is not going to be an easy game, expecting a tough one tbh.

Probably crazy but I might go with something like this.

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Jan Davis
Sissoko Winks
Lamela Eriksen Son
Kane
I’d give Lloris another week off, let him go practice his kicking!

I used to disregard the calls for playing Eriksen deeper, but in games like these where the opponents sits so deep he ends up collecting the ball back there anyway and through balls down the middle of two narrow banks of four are never gonna come off anyway. You are relying on mistakes or luck.

Eriksen in the back 2 opens the door for 2 players behind Kane that can run with the ball in Son and Lamela.

Thoughts?

I used to disregard the calls for playing Eriksen deeper, but in games like these where the opponents sits so deep he ends up collecting the ball back there anyway and through balls down the middle of two narrow banks of four are never gonna come off anyway. You are relying on mistakes or luck.

Eriksen in the back 2 opens the door for 2 players behind Kane that can run with the ball in Son and Lamela.

Thoughts?

Yes that might work nicely. I wanted Lamela, Son and Eriksen to play too but went with a 4 at the back. Who would you play in the 2 with Eriksen?

Yes that might work nicely. I wanted Lamela, Son and Eriksen to play too but went with a 4 at the back. Who would you play in the 2 with Eriksen?

Dembele. Winks would probably be okay as well. They will press us but no real need to play a DM in games like these imo.

Will never happen but something like this:

[formation=3421, Lloris, Dier, Sanchez, Verts, Rose, Aurier, Eriksen, Dembele, Son, Lamela, Kane] [/formation]

Last edited:

Thoughts?
- Lloris -
- Dier - Sanchez - Vertonghen -
- Aurier - Eriksen - Wink - Davies -
- Son - Lamela -
- Kane -

Or

- Lloris -
- Aurier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Davies -
- Eriksen - Dier -
- Son - Dele - Lamela -
- Kane -​

Beats me why people do predictions, seeing as they're so often wrong.

See also: "I honestly think we'll..." posts.

My forecast - we might see the team that steamrollered Liverpool, we might see the one which huffed and puffed vs West Brom or we might get the one that rolled over vs Leicester, Arsen*l and City.

Or variants thereof.

Beats me why people do predictions, seeing as they're so often wrong.

See also: "I honestly think we'll..." posts.

My forecast - we might see the team that steamrollered Liverpool, we might see the one which huffed and puffed vs West Brom or we might get the one that rolled over vs Leicester, Arsen*l and City.

Or variants thereof.

Bad day today William ? :llorisunsure:

Back
Top Bottom