Brighton Vs Tottenham Globetrotters : Saturday 8th October 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True we don’t create enough chances per game for som and Kane

We are 3rd best in the league at it.

ACCURATE CROSSES - 3rd
BIG CHANCES CREATED - 3rd

Basically if Kane has one good chance per game he has to finish it. Do there extra pressure I guess and they may snatch at attempts.

We are creating plenty of big chances, Kane, Son, RIchy are not converting them.

SHOTS ON TARGET - 4th
BIG CHANCES MISSED - 2nd

If we keep playing the way we are; and Son/Kane even marginally improve their finishing, we will be very hard to beat.

I don't care what anybody else thinks, we are dull and boring to watch. It's tedious and frustrating and I personally don't care about the bullshit reasons conte gives its terrible football. Levy has again pulled a masterstroke by hiring a supposedly world class manager and leaving him to take the brunt of the blame....
Blame for what, our best start in the Prem era, losing only once in the league this season, sitting 4 points off top spot?

I'm sure Conte is seething about getting the "blame" for that!

Blame for what, our best start in the Prem era, losing only once in the league this season, sitting 4 points off top spot?

I'm sure Conte is seething about getting the "blame" for that!
So are you enjoying watching the team play ?
It's dull and overly defensive with no intention to actually play football...just like when mourinho was here...we were top with him too and how did that play out again ??

It's dull and overly defensive with no intention to actually play football...just like when mourinho was here...we were top with him too and how did that play out again ??

Comparing this to Jose ball is a slight false equivalence, at least we have a plan to get out when we are pressed with Conte ball but the problem has been the execution, we know how effective this style of play can be, look at last season.

ACCURATE CROSSES - 3rd

We are creating plenty of big chances, Kane, Son, RIchy are not converting them.

SHOTS ON TARGET - 4th
BIG CHANCES MISSED - 2nd

If we keep playing the way we are; and Son/Kane even marginally improve their finishing, we will be very hard to beat.
Yes the stats may look good but I was just referring to how many opportunities a does Kane really get in good goal scoring positions or even in position to fire a shot? Some games he barely has a touch in the oppo box. This is what I’m on about where we have plenty of ball in the box and then anything can happen.

What has that to do with Conte getting the "blame?"

And they're playing Football. Just because the style isn't to your taste, it doesn't change that.

Yes the stats may look good but I was just referring to how many opportunities a does Kane really get in good goal scoring positions or even in position to fire a shot? Some games he barely has a touch in the oppo box. This is what I’m on about where we have plenty of ball in the box and then anything can happen.

Well, against Brighton Kane had 4 shots from inside the box, 1 from outside.

At 61 minutes, he missed a 1 on 1 with the keeper, which a striker of his level should score; or at the very least test the keeper. He fired it wide.

We had a marginally offside for Son goals. An excellent save from Bentancaur shot from distance, Doherty with a great run onto a cross firing over the bar.

Improve our finishing, and we will be scoring 3 or 4 a game using our current tactics.

Im sure youll be on shortly with stats to back up your theory on how shit we are so think of that when dismissing stats that dont suit your narrative

We had 1 point more after 9 games in 2018/19. (Maybe you meant a different number of games)
No, just cocked up really 😀

I think up until the goon game it was our best after 8 maybe?

Regardless, it's a very good start, our 2nd best in the Prem era, so I'm thinking that Conte will shoulder the "blame" for that with great stoicism...

No, just cocked up really 😀

I think up until the goon game it was our best after 8 maybe?

Regardless, it's a very good start, our 2nd best in the Prem era, so I'm thinking that Conte will shoulder the "blame" for that with great stoicism...
Yes definitely our joint highest total after 9 games in the PL, 20 points.
Conte will be happy with that. He'll be disappointed with some of the performances though. Am hoping we batter Frankfurt tonight.

ACCURATE CROSSES - 3rd

SHOTS ON TARGET - 4th
BIG CHANCES MISSED - 2nd

And this is only paying attention to actual chances. How many times have we worked ourselves into a great position only to dither so hard we lose the ball without actually taking a shot?

No creative midfielder or creative genius is gonna fix that. We just need to buck up at the last moments.

What has that to do with Conte getting the "blame?"

And they're playing Football. Just because the style isn't to your taste, it doesn't change that.
Conte will ever blamed when it inevitably goes to hell in a hand cart as usual, and although I hate watching contes team play dull anti football. He was not backed properly and everyone has suddenly let levy off the hook because we stole a top 4 spot....

Conte will ever blamed when it inevitably goes to hell in a hand cart as usual, and although I hate watching contes team play dull anti football. He was not backed properly and everyone has suddenly let levy off the hook because we stole a top 4 spot....
Stole a top 4 spot. 😂😂😂😂 no mate, we mugged a bunch of 2 bob plastic, rapists supporting cunts. Stole does not do just to the pain we inflicted on the Thamesmead dwe cunts.
Stole 😂😂😂

"Stole"???

............Piss off.

Isolate our form under Conte last season and it = 3rd place.

ACCURATE CROSSES - 3rd

SHOTS ON TARGET - 4th
BIG CHANCES MISSED - 2nd

I don't think this interpretation of the stats is the best way of doing it. Many of the "big chances created" have been the various headers that Kane has scored. And none of this tells us who is missing the big chances. Kane is currently outperforming his xG, as usual, suggesting that there's nothing particularly wrong with his finishing. Son is also currently outperforming his league xG with that hat-trick (of admittedly difficult, low-xG chances) alone. The fact that Son is outperforming expectation with only three goals strongly implies that he's not getting many good chances.

Neither Kane nor Son are underperforming their xG, which is a much better metric than team chances or team xG. Sure, Son, particularly, is not overperforming to the outrageous extent he and Kane often do, but Kane is certainly pulling his weight with the opportunities he's getting.

Don't let recency bias and the freak outlier of the last week or so, in which they've missed an unusually large number of opportunities, obscure the fact that several games this season have been decided by Kane's ability to take one chance from maybe one or two (with a ΣxG of less than 1). There's a good reason people are always told to be careful with statistics and that they can be manipulated or misused - sometimes with entirely innocent intent - to make bad points. I've studied stats at university level and used hypothesis testing and probability distributions etc. in my daily life as a publishing academic (plus I've even worked with Opta's raw databases, among others), which is why I like to try to be a fair and helpful critic of other forum users' usage of football statistics.

Back
Top Bottom